1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite analog (or analogue) phasers?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mark the Moose, Nov 2, 2020.

1. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Boss PH-2. It is the pinnacle of analog phase. It has a very wide range of phasing sounds. MIJ or MIT does not matter for these I have had both. I also really like the MXR phase 100. Nice chewy sounds in that box. Think shattered by the stones.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  2. bluesguy62

bluesguy62 TDPRI Member

Mine would be the EHX Small Stone Phase Shifter with the single "Rate" knob. Got to use it onstage for a few months in 1981. It just sounded so natural to my ears, and was pretty useful in adding texture to rhythm parts. I've never come across another pedal that gives me the same vibe.

3. teletdf

teletdf TDPRI Member

Have had both the Phase 90 and Small Stone. Never used the switch on the SS. Liked ‘em both but the SS was too big. Now I use a Phase 90 clone and an MXR mini 45/90 and they both work well

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

They still make the Phase 100. The only one I know of that they do not make is the Phase 99. which I would love to get my hands on.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Some of these circuits look like absolute beasts to build from scratch. The phase 45, even with mods, seems like a good place to start.

6. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

I like the Small Stone, very natural sounding. A one trick pony but gets the job done.

7. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

1. Mutron II
    2. Small Stone
    3. Phase 90

In that order. I was lucky to obtain a pcb for a Mutron II once that didn't require special rare unobtainium parts and it sounded absolutely great when I built it. The Small Stone or Phase 90 are perfectly good workhorses but I prefer the former just a tad more. On my last pedalboard before I went all modeling I had both a Mutron II clone and a Small Stone. I preferred the Mutron II post dirt effects for clean stuff, and the Small Stone pre dirt effects for distorted phase. And the best thing about these pedals is that they have so few knobs and switches. I've had a Pigtronix envelope phaser once, and a Lovetone doppelganger clone, but they just have too many knobs. Give me a good one trick pony over a pedal that can do many things, but which you have to spend a lot of time to dial in that right sound. Unless it has presets of course.

8. Deed

Deed TDPRI Member

The new Dunlop made MXR Phase 90 with the classic "script" mod for cutting the harshness of high frequencies

9. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal TDPRI Member

AM Phase 45 Script . Quite sufficient for most folk .

10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Look at a vintage Ross phaser. The earlies versions used discrete components.

Here's mine that I got at a thrift for $10. Excuse the poor playing.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Phase 95. On its most subtle setting it just fattens things up a little and adds a nasty little edge. An absolute must-have pedal. And I don't like pedals.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Phase 95

I recently replaced my modern Phase 90 with it. Sounds great and has a smaller footprint.
    The optional sounds are nice to have but in my experimentation I've left it in Phase 90 Script mode. I've tried a couple other phasers but MXR is 'the sound' to me.

czech-one-2 likes this.
  13. atchdav

atchdav TDPRI Member

I had a modern MXR Phase 90, but it didn't do subtle. I've since replaced it with a Whirlwind Orange Box. I'm very pleased with the Whirlwind.

14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I had a 1978-79 one of these. The best phaser I ever owned. The 14 pin AM9709 was seated in a 16 pin socket and could be inserted 4 ways, either left or right aligned and right side up or upside down. Each different position varied the number of phasing stages and to what stage the feedback returned. You could choose 4 uniquely different settings. It had speed and regeneration. It also had a sweep width and sweep center (bias) trim pots interally, which I brought out to the case, along with an LFO kill switch so you could use it as a static filter. I modified the feed back resistor so you could turn it up almost to the point of internal feedback. I used to run it on a 15v supply and it sounded like a piece of studio rack gear.

I don't have it anymore, but it's still working. I gave to my buddy in Arizona a few years ago for letting me sell a Les Paul Custom through his Ebay store.

I don't remember any pedal phaser that could compare.

Tele_Audiodemon likes this.
  15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

MOOG MF102 6/12 Stage Phaser. Sounds killer, and infinite possibilities. 4 EXP jacks.

Also has a Killer Drive Section......
    [​IMG]

Tele_Audiodemon likes this.
  16. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

So many great sounds in these. From subtle to over the top.

I agree that the drive knob really is great on this.

17. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Ive got every MOOGERFOOGER, and MINIFOOGER they ever made.
    2 of the MF104M Delays, and 2x of the MF104M Super Delays. 2 MF108 Clusterflux. 3 Ring Modulators. RM is highly underrated too, but is very complex. Ive not brushed the surface with any of them. I dont use most of them, but one can get lost in all of it.

I had another Super Delay, but traded it for a brand new Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+, and a New Normal MF104M

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

DOD Phasor 201, and my Madbean clone of the Maestro 5/6 stage Phase Shifter

19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I'm a traditionalist. Give me a TOS Type 2 anytime. Set it on stun, put it on overload, and you've got a party!

[​IMG]

Oh - and it's true bypass.

deus56, getbent, MrCairo46 and 4 others like this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

flanger or chorus for the win.

Mark the Moose likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.