Favorite amps to run together.

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gobi_grey, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I use the radial as well-solves a whole lot of issues!

2. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

On some outdoor gigs, I will run a pair of Special 130's.

tubelectron likes this.
  3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I guess that you mean the Peavey Special 130, @Telecastoff1 ... :twisted: I have one, given to me as dead, but only dirty and fuse blown ! :lol:

[​IMG]

It's a beast, indestructibly built... I do not use it very much because it is unable by construction to give a deep clean tone with deep bass, unfortunately. This is the real only point missing on this powerful amplifier.

It comes from the circuit's tone-correction / tone shaping, because the power stage and the speaker are widely able to handle a powerful deep clean bass tone à la Twin-Reverb... One day, I'll find the way to mod my Special 130 circuit adequately, I mean : without loosing its otherwise great tone. ;)

Favorite amps to run together.

My "Silverface Fender Stack" :cool: :

[​IMG]

-tbln

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  4. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

"I guess that you mean the Peavey Special 130, @Telecastoff1 ... :twisted: I have one, given to me as dead, but only dirty and fuse blown ! :lol:"

Yes, I was speaking of the Peavey Special 130 amps. Mine sure aren't lacking any bass response, but I have noticed that a few of the 4 ohm 12" Scorpion speakers were definitely lacking bass and had a tendency to be ice-picky. I run EVM 12L's in mine and have never had an issue with bass response lacking. It works for me. YMMV.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I run the pair of a Marshall JTM-612 with a Leslie G37 rotary cab as the amplification for a Helix. Yep, I'm a swirlyhead.

Bob

6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Ah, interesting advice @Telecastoff1 , since I have no experience with other Special 130...:cool:

Yes, I suspected the Scorpion speaker at first, but not at all : he can give as deep bass as my EVM12 and Altec 417-8H SII, when connected to a suitable amp. Conversely, when connected to an EVM12L cab, my Special 130 amp shows this lack of bass...

Would it be possible that I finally have a defective amp ? That said, he can delivers circa 160W RMS at onset of clipping at 400Hz sinus, on a 4R resistive load, so it's not a matter of power output. o_Oo_Oo_O

-tbln

7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I doubt if your amp is "defective". Clean all the pots and jacks and be sure all of the OP-AMPS are seated tightly...no need to remove them, just a little downward pressure with your thump to be sure they're seated tightly in their respective sockets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.