1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite amp to play on the rocks

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Just my Tele through a Marshall SV20H & 1x12.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

The Marshall 6101 No Question

20200206_100908.jpg

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue. The built-in trem and reverb and the clean tone are so nice. Given the scooped tone, however, it's been hard to find a good overdrive pedal that doesn't sound super fizzy and harsh while getting OD sounds at a lower condo-friendly volume. Similarly, I feel like other effects take away from the pure joy of hearing the amp on its own.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pro Jr

5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

There would so many for me... :eek::confused::rolleyes:;)

If I had to retain only one - difficult task per se - then maybe it would be this one : My 1980 Boogie MKIIA 60-100 Rev. Eq. :

[​IMG]

But he is very challenged by all the others amps ! ;)

-tbln.

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

i scaled the power tube only.. that keeps all the brightness and is the trick to it. I can can obscene levels of dirt from it at low volumes. It’s very very good.

i home brewed the VVR on a piece of tag strip from a design online. You can see the Mosfet I used.

424116D3-75DA-473C-9166-60E1CFE22CD1.jpeg 60F06602-29C0-4708-84BE-5DE555F8E38A.jpeg

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

All of them. If it doesn’t sound good straight up, then it’s completely useless to me. 99% of the time, no exaggeration, I do not use outside effects. I have some, and I mess with them sometimes. But it is definitely far from being my go to. My most useful outside effect is the Seymour Duncan tap tempo tremolo unit, because some of my amps lack tremolo. In addition to that, I have two flavors of treble booster, a fuzz pedal, a clean boost, an active volume pedal, and that’s it. I literally never use the fuzz pedal. Haven’t even taken it out of the house. I just bought it because it was cheap and I thought I should have one. I have no philosophical problem with pedals…but I have never really found a use for them in my own playing.

I am not counting eq however. Very useful outboard tool, but barely an “effect.”

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Jimclarke100 likes this.
  8. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Actually this makes absolute sense. Even if you are just looking for a clean pedal platform the foundation needs to sound good otherwise you are running to catch up.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Any Marshall.

10. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I feel that way about all three of my amps and do not use pedals. I bought these amps for the way they sound.

Lil Dawg D-Lux (5e3)
    Vox AC4HW1
    VSA Vintage 15 (PR clone)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    TokyoPortrait likes this.
  11. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Marshall 18-watt clone amp that is just stunning neat, in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever plugged anything into it effect-ually speaking. It came with a 1x12 that is just right for cranked indoor, house empty riffing. A bigger cabinet just makes it louder.

For the money, a Fender Excelsior with some upgraded tubes can really open your eyes, too.

12. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

My Vox AC15 head. Plug into the top boost, and use some of the onboard reverb and tremolo from time to time.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a drinker, so I don't really get the "on the rocks" reference, why in your analogy it translates to "plugged straight in" amp usage. No matter; referring to plugging straight in/no effects is clear enough.

For me, that amp is the VOX Pathfinder 15R. The sonic goodness of the amp itself is perfect for me. It does have onboard reverb and trem, which I do like to use, albeit sparingly. I own only one pedal, a multi-fx pedal, the BOSS ME-70. And I almost never use it with my 15Rs.

Honest Charley likes this.
  14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I don't play any amp without using at least delay and reverb, so "on the rocks" does not apply. But I do have some fine sounding amps. One that really impresses is the Magnatone Varsity, no reverb. Just put in some excellent old power and preamp tubes ... so this amp sings. Such a sweet, pretty sound, especially with P90s, and with the Don Mare Joel Foy p/us in an alder body partscaster.

15. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Lately a Carr Skylark. But a Swart STR Tweed and a Vox AC15HW are also just about perfect for the way I play without any help.

The amps, I mean. I need all the help I can get.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The only amp over 15 watts that I own anymore is my MIG 50 from the mid nineties. I use to run it into an old Bandmaster 2X12 cab, a Peavey 2X12 cab, or an Acoustic 6X10" guitar cab. Any of the three sounded great. All three cabs have been sold on, so I don't really have an appropriate speaker cab for the Sovtek at the moment....but I don't intend to let it go. ;)

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This may be a premature entrant as I just got it a few weeks ago and just one gig with it, as Winter has kicked in, gigs are 'hibernating'- sad...

A Supro Blues King 10

It is 5 watts/tube; 10" Speaker; Spring Reverb ( but not tube); and 2 FET- powered boosts-a Cleanish one, and a a Drive/Distortion- that actually compliment the amp.
    And everything sounds very good to me.
    Just needs a workout!
    20201203_173946.jpg

davidchagrin likes this.
  18. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Your analogy is faulty. It should be 'neat'. ;)

Mexitele Blues, DeepDangler and Tim S like this.
  19. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Again...this one right here. 001.JPG

20. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

My Victoria Double Deluxe.

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.