1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite amp to play on the rocks

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Dec 24, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Mesa Boogie Mark Five:35. All of my favorite Mesa Mark series tones in one amp. Love it.

Tim S likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

1970 Deluxe Reverb running 6L6s, 2x10 JBLs. Since I play clean, it's exactly my "on the rocks" amp. The only effects I use at all are the onboard reverb, and very occasionally, the amp's internal tremelo. The 6L6s give the amp a tight, punchy bass, and the JBLs get the Fender sparkle and chime with their own intrinsic punch- I don't need no stinkin' pedals! 20190104_001050.jpg 20190103_223839.jpg

Jakester93, Tim S and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Steve said it before I could......using your "drinking" parlance, I think you mean "neat" or "straight". "On the rocks" would be an effect, not unlike water, mixer, bitters, etc.
    That said, I don't own an amp that I can't play "neat".....I use effects sparingly, and, when gigging, I'm "effectless" at least 50% of the time.

4. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I’ve got 3:

- tweed deluxe clone
    - PRRI
    - vox ac15c1

Although I have to use an attenuator to get the tone I like with my 5e3, so I don’t know if that counts.

5. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Holic

All my amps I play straight! But some do have reverb and or tremolo in them.
    Thanks and happy holidays to all.

Blister likes this.
  6. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

DRRI is the gold standard of tone for me and I've gigged with no pedals in an old school country band, just Telecaster straight into Deluxe. Glorious.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

That is true. I’m getting at an amp that’s so good alone that pedals and effects take away from it rather than improve.

8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Express 550
    [​IMG]

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

actually i might update my comment... i put a VVR on my Ampmaker champ along with a couple of cathode bypass boosts and a variable NFB. Through a 12” Celestion blue, it lacks for nothing. I never use pedals with it.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I really like my Peavey TKO 115S. It’s an early 90s one with a Scorpion 15 speaker and the teal-colored stripe graphics.

I picked it up when I got interested in bass, but found it too power-limited (75 watts) with a loud drummer and guitarist. However I discovered that when I turn it up it’s a pretty lively guitar and lap steel amp too.

Some combination of a pretty flexible active EQ section, time spent figuring out how to dial it in, and the way the power section and DDT limiter circuit and speaker interact at high volumes makes it feel really good to me also, in how it responds to transients. It doesn’t feel saggy, but there’s enough non-linearity going on that it feels like a cranked amp without getting ugly on chords and low notes.

Normally I like reverb on lap steel tones but the TKO can get a pleasing fatness that makes up for the lack of reverb, to my ear.

It is tall and heavy and no fun to move, though.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  11. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

That applies to everything I've kept in my arsenal. Soldano Decatone, Kustom Double Cross and 72 Coupe.

12. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

13. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Sovtek MIG 50 all by itself.

DDickens and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

'65 Princeton Reverb RI

DDickens likes this.
  15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

THD Bivalve is one. Tone King Gremlin is another.

16. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

For me, an old beat up, but well functioning Princeton.

But until that comes along, this will havta do:)

[​IMG]

17. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve thought about VVR myself; How do you find it?
    I already have mine wired for a 1\4w option but that looses top end. VVR looks interesting as it doesn’t affect the preamp but like they say there’s no such thing as a free lunch...

18. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

It's sacrilege to plug any pedals into a Vox amp, in my opinion. There is something so rock 'n' roll about plugging a tele straight into an AC30, and the added pedal nonsense subtracts from it. I love Fender blackface amps just as much as the AC30, but I find Fenders more receptive to pedals. A blank canvas, in that sense.

I also believe putting pedals in front of the typical "jazz amps" never sounds quite like you hope. Jazzers love old SS amps, like the Polytone Brute or Cube 60. They are naturally dark and clean, but usually aren't particularly receptive to dirt pedals.

DeepDangler likes this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn’t say pedals “take away” from the experience. I’ve been at this over thirty years. I’ve owned hundreds of amps. Vintage, new, boutique, tube, SS, digital, all of it. I like them all better with a couple of choice pedals. It’s just more fun and versatile.

That said, I got a back Friday deal on a Supro Blues King 12. It’s the first amp I’ve ever owned that I can have fun with for hours with zero pedals. It’s still even more fun with a couple of pedals, but with the built in boost and gain capability I often play it without any and have a great time.

20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Point to point wiring on this,
    no circuit board:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.