Favorite amp 30 Watts and under?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chatnoir, Mar 25, 2017.

1. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

for a bedroom amp I can vouch for a vox lil night train perfect for what you want plus use it with a 2x12 celestion greenback cab and its perfect for jam sessions can also vouch for the peavey classic 20

2. ultra80096

ultra80096 Tele-Meister

Love my old Delta Blues 115. Great sound. Also having great fun with my Monoprice 15 watt 1x12.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  3. Naked Alien

Naked Alien TDPRI Member

Mesa Boogie F30. Some of the nicest cleans around and despite popular opinion a usable gain channel. The reverb is pants though.

swany likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have three favorite under 30 watt amps, but none of them will really fit what you're asking about...

I love my 5e3, but it'll be too loud.
    I love my Excelsior, but it's pretty limited.
    I have always loved Princeton Reverbs.

None of them have a lot of bells and whistles. Although the Princeton Reverb has reverb. None have a master volume, so if you want dirty, gotta crank it a bit. Even in the 12-18 watt range we're talking about here, that's loud at home.

One of the best home amps I ever had was the first generation SuperChamp XD. It had some limited effects and great tone. It was also decent at low volume playing.

One problem I've had with many smaller amps, especially Fenders, is instant volume jump from zippy to too loud. This has driven me to do a few things: really learn to work the volume knob on my guitars; buy bigger amps (bigger Fenders especially seem to have a smoother volume sweep); and use effects pedals. Luckily, these days I have a large space to practice in... So, I just use anything I want. But, I am spoiled like that.

swany and hrstrat57 like this.
  5. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Sounds like a lot of useful ideas here, though there has been no mention of the dynamic you're after in this "bedroom" setting.

Of the amps I have, the one I use at home is a Blues Jr. or a vintage Tweed Champ or a Crate with the headphone jack.

The Blues Jr on normal on 2 thru either a vintage DynaComp or a newer Tone Press and a low volume and life is good.

Squeezing the notes out like this really works for me.

6. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

If I go with a larger amp to mix things up, I'm going to stick with either Fender or Peavey. I just have a bitter taste thanks to the short life of my first Vox and not looking to spend money on another one of their products given my first experience with the brand. Thank you for all the suggestions folks. :)

7. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Marshall 2245 Head... Actually I like the Metropoulos GMP45 Head. But are not available.

Germino 5e3.

Speed Shop 5e3 PTP head

8. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

Princeton Reissue or the Deluxe Reissue are both great amps. In the end the Super-Sonic 22 is more versatile. Put a Morley Mini Volume Pedal in the fx loop and it is a great bedroom/condo amp with no idle noise. Take it to a gig, sans Morley, and you will impress everyone.

swany and Big_Ger like this.
  9. El34tube1

El34tube1 TDPRI Member

Peavey classic 30.
    Sounds great on both channels loud & quite & 30 watts is still more than enough for everything but the biggest of stages!

Hammerdog likes this.
  10. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

Quick question - what is the difference, if any, between the Champion 20 vs the 40? Just more watt power or clarity?

11. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

I was just listing on youtube to the Vox AC15C2 15-watt 2x12" which sounded really nice. Does anyone know how reliable this amp is - any complaints about the chip going and the amp dying? I don't want another lemon from Vox.

12. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I was gonna recommend a AC15C1 (same amp, just one speaker less) until I read your unfortunate history with Vox. The Pathfinder 10 is really one of their cheapest amps. Made for a price point.

My AC15C1 has been my main amp for 5 years and I've only changed power tubes, which is normal wear. The last set has lasted 3 years though.
    I have a Vox Cambridge 15 too that is a backup and for home use. Sounds great for the 80$ I paid used. At least 15 years old and going strong.

13. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

Wow...can't believe this but the damn Vox actually started working! Couldn't get any sounds of it yesterday, go figure. Still going through with the order on the Yamaha amp though....unreal.....

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The new VOX AC10C1 is fantastic. I like it better than the AC15C1. Beautiful cleans. Classic crunch. It's easy to move.

You don't need 30 tube watts in a bedroom. Yikes. This is 10 watts and it could peel your face......

[​IMG]

pkevinb, swany and Keymaster13 like this.
  15. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

That does look good. However, as long as my current Vox works, I'm going to hold onto it. Nice to know where are some good options on the low watt end. I agree, I think given my living situation, 30 really is too much....

16. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

I have a Delta Blues 115. Blues and Jazz all day long. At apartment sound levels, any tube amp at breakup volume is loud, unless you have an attenuator, like the one in my Tone King. Depends on your budget, which you didn't mention.

17. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

Two that I discovered (and purchased) were the Vox AV15 (analog modeling) and Vox TB18CC1 (tube). Both killer and and although the badge says Vox the TB18 is decively not a Vox sound. It's like a AC15, a Bassman, and Marshall had a threesome

18. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Afflicted

Now that my Vox is working, I'm going to stick with it for the time being...30 watts might be over kill given my living situation.

Bob Logan is building me a telecaster and I can't wait to see how it sounds through both amps - the Yamaha and Pathfinder... :)

NashvilleDeluxe likes this.
  19. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

I really like my 68 DRRI. Sounds great cranked to 5 and great at low volumes too. (1-2)

My AC15C1 was a pain to play in my condo. Still got some of the best tones out of it when loud though.

20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Goodsell super 17.
    VOX ACs.
    Fender Deluxe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.