Faux Binding help!!!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KazPed, Mar 31, 2009.

1. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

Hey, this is probably a question for a more general guitar forum, but seeing as i want to do it on a telecaster ill post it here...

Can anybody give me some tips on how to do a faux binding, i plan to have an alder body with a quilted maple veneer on top (maybe back as well) and im going to stain it blue. Thing is i want a faux binding to seperate the quilted maple top from alder body, but dnt have much idea on how to do it and cant find any tips/guides on the interwebs! so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) thanks

2. kayarcee

kayarcee TDPRI Member

Automotive pinstriping is your friend. There's a couple of builders here who have used that trick.

3. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

so just pinstriping tape? any tips on how to do it in general?

4. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

also, what kind of width of pinstriping tape is suitable? ive only been able to find a 12.7mm and 6.35mm tape.

5. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

6. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

did u have any problem with stain getting under the tape?

7. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

I had a few spots that did get a little...I was able to sand them out. I used a water based aniline dye and I think JWells used alchohol based dye which I would expect is a little runnier but dries extremely quickly. I have heard people have used bleach on a Q-tip to lighten the spots if they are bad, but with making sure the tape is stuck on REALLY well you should be ok. Maybe even warming it a little with a heat gun and then running your finger all the way around to get it stuck would help..that is the trick though, getting the tape on right. Pay close attention to the curves and tight spots around the neck pocket and cutaway and strangely enough, the waist curves, both top and bottom.

8. KazPed

KazPed TDPRI Member

cool thanks, ive given up on the thinline idea now. too much work, maybe ill do one sometime down the line! im going for a quilted maple veneer, dyed blue with a faux binding then the back dyed aswell! should be fun! ill post pictures of job when i get round to it

9. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

There is also a good tutorial about doing PRS style natural bindings on the Stew Mac site.

10. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jwells makes it look so dang easy, and make you feel so dang sick, all at once.

I love it!

11. Beerfish

Beerfish Tele-Holic

I tape off the bindind on each side and clear coated it before useing a water based dye on the top

Attached Files:

12. Beerfish

Beerfish Tele-Holic

the bottom has the dye mixed in the clear when you spray you have less problems with it getting under the tape

Attached Files:

13. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I followed the Dan Erlewine tutorial that BAW4742 linked above to do this one.

.......[​IMG]

I used the StewMac liquid stain mixed with alcohol in the recommended ratio. I masked the edge of the maple with plastic pinstriping tape. I applied the stain with a rag doing a few applications. I used a slightly damp rag and would approach the tape with caution using just my index finger behind the rag so as not to get stain under the tape. I used 1/4 in tape (same as the maple thickness).

When I pulled off the tape, I used my index finger and a piece of fine sandpaper held at about a 45 degree angle to sand around the top to give the faux binding the look of some thickness.

Good luck with your project.

14. Pettol

Pettol TDPRI Member

Jwells393, I love the color of that guitar. Is that stewmac's orange? Looks brighter than their example.

15. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes .......... the StewMac Colortone Orange liquid stain mixed with alcohol in the recommended proportion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.