1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Faux Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Axegrinder77, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You heard me!

So the deal is, I invested in an rc500 looper and then a Digitech ricochet to lay down some basslines in the loops.

My general approach is to use the 2 track looper to do verse and chorus.

The octave down on the guitar isn't as good as a real bass obviously, but cool nonetheless. And it was definitely worthwhile, as it really fills the sound.

Looking for tips on my approach, I suck at bass.

Always drum track first.

Second is either chords or bassline. So far, pros and cons to both.

Any tips are welcome and appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Many kinds of guitar dirt scoop out some of the low end, to leave room when used on guitar for the actual bass player. Keep that in mind if you’re going for fuzz bass or something like that.

An eq pedal may also help shape the faux bass sound you’re making.

The bass player is often doing more driving of the band than the rhythm guitar, so you have to lay those bass lines down with some real force and confidence.

What are you using for an octave pedal?

The boss fz-2 or clones of that pedal are one of the dirt pedals I’ve tried that don’t tend to suck all the low end out. And if you use the clean boost, you can really fill that octave pedal down sound out.

What style of music are you playing?

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm using the Digitech ricochet set to octave down. I usually run my drri into a two notes captor x, and I'm thinking there are probably bass cabs on there to help out.

Yeah when I try not to get fancy on bass and just drive the root hard and meaty it seems to work out well.

Sometimes I get confident and run an arpeggio.

I play mostly garage suck rock pop.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I’m in a two guitar band with no bassist that plays to a backing track with a drum machine. I use a mini-pog for low end thickness and my guitar part frequently is functionally the bass part. A big part of it is just how you approach it. And if you’re doing it live, wattage and volume. The lower you go, the more oomph you’re gonna need.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

I've been playing with the guitar--> bass function in my RC505 lately. I think it pays to try picking in different places on the string, different velocity attacks, different pickup settings. The tracking is a little weird so by trying different things, I can find the right combination of things to get a more convincing bass sound.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.