1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fattest P Bass neck?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by russpurdy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

So if a person wanted the fattest all maple P Bass neck they could get with a regular fender shaped headstock (not the tele bass headstock) where should they look? Warmoth doesn't seem to have a lot of options.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

3. Space Pickle

Space Pickle Tele-Meister

I find it quite fitting that "BigDaddyLoveHandles" is an expert on fat necks.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The fattest PBass necks were on the late '50s models and maybe up to '61 or '62. If none of the other vendors offer that profile (and I can kind of understand why) Fender is selling necks these days and you couldn't come any closer than an original than to buy it from them.

5. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

I never understood some people liking fat necks. I guess its a personal thing like choices in women. You know what they say" A big gal`s built for comfort. A thin gal`s built for speed".
    So it is with guitar necks.
    Take care. Bob

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. I guess if you have a really big pair of mitts maybe the comfort is there but man whenever I've played any of those old PBasses I struggle with finding any comfort in them at all. They wear me out. I like a little girth but not those tree trunks.

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

I've always liked my hand to feel full when playing and the fat necks to great with that. I usually play simpler stuff on the p bass so I can get away with it.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell TDPRI Member

No.

I play faster on a larger 4 string neck then a thinner one. Give me a 1.75", fat P neck over a tiny little 1.4" Ibanez neck.

9. Johnston

Johnston Tele-Meister

The fattest I played was one of the road worn ones that were about a few years ago 50's I think it was. anodised alu plate etc etc.

I've read the steve Harris is the big daddy of them all though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.