Fatter C profiles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MrDavey2Shoes, Jul 21, 2021.

1. MrDavey2Shoes

MrDavey2Shoes TDPRI Member

I've been trying out many (Fender) Teles lately and my findings are surprising to me. I find that a thicker/ medium thick neck reduces my hand cramping for things like barre chords and in general I find it nice hold the neck opposed to gripping it, if that makes sense. Neck in hand instead of hand spidermonkeying around neck. I tried a soft V Vintera and while the depth seemed about right I couldn't jive with the shape. It felt a bit uncomfortable to rest my thumb on the back for chording and I felt cramped on the fret board with my thumb hanging over top. I did fit right into my hand though, that felt great. Oddly, I loved it for soloing. I have played the Thick U on a Vintera and again I liked it and it was comfortable but maybe a little too thick for me to move as fast as I'd like. I played a Deep C and I like it but its a bit too thin. I do not like the modern C at all! Haven't played a 60s C but I'm wondering if that might be my goldilocks neck size. Am I missing any Fender necks? As mentioned in another thread, there are so many damn Teles!

2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Baja?

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You don't HAVE to buy a certain model guitar to get the neck you want. Both my Fender Tele and self-assembled partscaster have my exact preferred neck, ordered from Warmoth. One is Mahogany and the other is Maple.....but both are great. Both fit Fender-spec bodies perfectly.

OlDefGuy, shallbe, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  4. MrDavey2Shoes

MrDavey2Shoes TDPRI Member

I believe thats the same neck as the soft V on the modified Vintera

This is true, but I've already given myself enough headaches with a modified car and custom bicycle. I want this to be easy peasy lol

Maguchi likes this.
  5. 72_Custom

72_Custom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I absolutely love the neck on my Wildwood thin skin 64 Tele. To me, it was a revelation and the most comfortable neck I own. It measures .83-.97. I agree about the Goldilocks thing. It’s big, but it’s not too big. I think the American Vintage ‘64 is the same neck shape with a different fingerboard radius, but I haven’t personally played one to be sure.

But even within the “60s C” category there are variations. Early 60s oval C, 65 Strat C, the asymmetrical SRV C. There’s even 59 Esquire C. A lot of the 60s stuff from the Custom Shop comes with necks that are about .82-.89.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a '66 Tele with fat C neck profile and I loved it.

Maguchi likes this.
  7. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I know what you mean. I got an AO60's Tele and I LOVE the neck! It's a C (So less shoulder than the U) and it's VERY different than the modern C. The 60's C has a lot of taper from the nut as you move up the neck. It's pretty slim around the 1st fret (My AO measures 0.83" thick) and then goes up to 0.98" by the 12th fret. So as the angle of your hand changes up the fret board there's more to fill that gap and prevent "spidering" as you put it.

Try an AO60's. You might find it's the goldilocks neck. I sure did.

8. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had a Baja 60's neck and it was the skinniest neck I've had out of all my guitars. It measured 0.79" at the 1st fret and 0.83" at the 12th. It was skinnier than my American Standard's neck.

Maguchi and nojazzhere like this.
  9. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

One available for $900 on Houston, TX Craigs list.

10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I guess I am lucky, but I can go from playing my CV tele to my GE Smith or 335 with no issues. I agree with the OP's statement about hold vs grip though. My Kirn also has a fatter neck, has made my chording better because of the changes in the size of the fret area so I feel like I am little more accurate.

Telecaster88 and Blackmore Fan like this.
  11. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I recently got a tele with a soft v neck and I do love how it fills my hand. I do not like the 50s U shape, the shoulders are all I can feel when I play them.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The 50s Baja neck shape is really a V in name only - the choice of term is to advise the customer that the 50s Baja neck is not a D or U shape. It is essentially a very deep C, trending towards maybe a Boatneck. Not a V like those 5 or so FMIC Stratocaster true V necks are.

I agree, cramping can be resolved through these fatter necks. Years back I was trying to play these fairly thin, modern C necks and having fits. Now I have (among other things) seven of these 50s Bajas and the necks are great and moreover they sort of rehabbed by hand so I could return when necessary to thinner necks. And other necks, considerably fatter than the 50s Baja, perform the same role and IMO the longer you use them, the more used to them you can get.

FWIW, I did a blind test with a bunch of friends and acquaintances, back over 10 years ago once I had all these 50s Bajas. Half the guys said "not a V in any shape or form" and the other half said "Yeah, maybe a hint of V or keel between the 2nd and 7th frets" or something to that effect. Super mild tendency towards V. Fender just telling the customer what the neck is not.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  13. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I was referring to the 50's Baja neck in my earlier post.

OP should be looking at radius and frets as well as the contour. It all counts.

14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

So everyone is different, but I find the AV 64 & AO 60s necks to be really, really comfortable to play. But as we say here, you have to try them yourself.

CJM3309 likes this.
  15. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

What Tele is that? I love a soft V but can only find Strat necks in that shape.

16. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

3EAAE253-9AD3-4679-8B35-0A95341293F6.jpeg
    My faves are a thick U-Shape and a ‘63 C-Shape. I also tried a “10/56 V” which was pretty phenomenal, too.

To me, there’s nothing “deep” about what Fender calls a “Deep C” nowadays. I still consider it on the thinner side.

I think your “grail” neck just might be one of the ‘60s C necks per the chart below. They hit the sweet spot between not too thin/not too fat.

AECE3A7D-9B3E-4D29-9EAD-D38FB9457C8D.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  17. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

Kotzen tele, MIJ.
    It's faaaat.

18. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

You never know how comfortable some of the larger profiles are until you try them :).

Too many folks got duped into thinking that a slim neck is "faster".

I've been playing for over 50 years, and I can deal with just about any neck profile - but I can't deal with a slim profile for very long anymore.

Forty some years of carpentry left me with a fairly strong grip - but trying to grip a thin neck has become pretty darn painful.

The old thumb in the middle of the the neck's back just doesn't work anymore either.

A larger profile promotes a more relaxed grip.

I've loosened up a with a more relaxed grip, and a larger profile just suits me far better - it helps me play better - and it really doesn't have anything to do with "fat" necks - just comfortable necks ;).

Although, if you play a lot of open chords down in cowboy territory, you probably don't want a neck that's too fat down around the first fret either, so you can still form those shapes comfortably.

Part of becoming a better player is willingness to experiment (the other part is practice ;)) - it's the only way to find out what works best for you :).

19. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I echo the posts of others in that I much prefer thicker necks--the thinner ones cause my fingers to cramp if I'm playing a lot of barre chords.

RomanS and Double Stop like this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Dang it guys he DOESN'T WANT A BAJA!
    (50’s version at least) probably not the 60’s version either

I like my A.O 60’s shape a lot (although they vary also) I’d try a couple of those out or find something comparable

Mines a nice meaty C

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.