Fattening tone with a hair of dirt - what device works?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by udoering, Jun 19, 2016.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

As others have said, there are so many choices. It's really endless. Kudos to you for starting with a versatile, affordable pedal. If something like an SD1 or
    Soul Food gets it done for you then you can save a lot of money.

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As promised, here is a little demo (noodling along a backing track) of the Route 66 used to thicken the tone. Being at work, I also recorded the second channel (pure and with a Mesa Flux Drive). The guitar is an american Standard Tele with Blackguard pickups, the Lonestar Special is miked with an affordable ribbon into a Steinberg audio interface, no effects in Cubase with the exception of a little reverb.

You are hearing:

Start: clean channel of a Mesa Lonestar Special
    0:30 the compressor side of the Route 66
    0:58 overdrive side of the Route 66
    1:23 both sides on
    1:33 channel 2, no stompbox
    1:53 channel 2 with Fluxdrive

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boosts I've used, as I'm a boost guy. For exactly the reasons you're looking for one.

LPB1
    EP Booster
    Boosta Grande
    Micro Amp
    Soul Food
    Fulltone Fat Boost
    Boss GE7

As well as what seems like every possible iteration of the TS and SD circuit.

My favorites are the Boosta Grande, and the Fulltone.

They seem to do what you want best.

The Boosta doesn't add dirt. But it does add a punch and a little fatness that is much more full than the clean channel by itself.

The Fat Boost has gain and volume controls, as well as bass and treble knobs.

It's my all time favorite boost. Does everything you want and more. It's also a huge asset to me because it makes a seriously awesome boost for acoustics as well as electrics. None of the others I've tried can say that.

4. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I use and recommend the EHX Holy Stain. It's clean channel is still part of a distortion circuit so it is always a bit gritty. It has a traditional tone knob as well as a color of tone selection too! And you can keep the extra DSP effects out of the signal by just turning the mix knob all the way down. It will take up a lot of pedalboard space however for simply adding some grit and tone.

5. udoering

Thanks again for your inputs, but - at least for the moment - I have bought the Route 66 and so far I am satisfied with it; see demo above.

6. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

That's how I use the Mythical Overdrive pedal ^^ with Vox and Fender amps. Usually leave it on all the time; kick on Tube Screamer for leads or crunchy rhythm.

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Analogman's King of Tone. Great for subtly varying degrees of beef, dirt, you name it. Very graduated and well-interacting dials and settings. I use it for single coils, humbuckers, P-90's, Filtertron-like mini-humbuckers, even my acoustics. I like more beef and subtle break-up than anything, and this really delivers that. I haven't tried more than about 10 dirt pedals, so my comparison range is pretty limited. But this does exactly what I want.

Good luck, and post about what you settled on.

8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

[/QUOTE]

That's some MIGHTY fine tones and playing!

9. udoering

Thank you very much!

10. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

As someone has already stated, if you tweak the Strymon Deco just right, you will get a nice, warm, rounder tone with some oomph.
    I got rid of my my EHX Soul Food after I learned what I could do with the Deco using just a little slight bit of the tape delay.

11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Unless you can crank that channel up to the highest point of clean ton - where a pedal will push it into saturation, which WILL fatten the tone (or, alternatively, crank the amp and back off your controls and attack...and use them by turning both tone and volume up and digging in to kick it over the edge) you will have to live with a compromise - a pedal that will add some dirt and saturation(plus speaker-like breakup) to an amp running on the cold side.

It doesn't work very well. I suggest using the smallest amp you possibly can in a particular venue so you can crank it up, and manipulate your attack and controls to get some "drive" (and adding a good clean boost - for true "overdrive" if you have problems with pick attack control). It's much more natural sounding.

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I hear what you're saying, Silverface, but don't entirely agree. I think it really depends on the tone you are seeking. Some people get fantastic results using dirt pedals into a dead clean amp. In some cases it may be because they actually like a really saturated, dirty signal. So, for example, guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani can get extremely close to their preferred tone just by plugging a stock Boss DS-1 into just about any clean amp....because the stock DS-1 sound with the gain really cranked is the sound they are shooting for. There's a long list of dirt pedals that create sounds people really, really like, hands down, even when going into a tube amp set very clean.

On the other hand, a lot of people are like you--- they want their dirt mostly from the amp itself. This is often the case for people who are seeking to emulate classic dirty blues and rock tones, where the original signature sounds came from a cranked amp with maybe something like a treble booster or Echoplex in front of it. But even for those tones a lot of today's pedals do an incredible job even when going into a "cold", clean amp, although in many cases putting it into a tube amp that's closer to clipping sounds even better still. Yet a third approach is stacking two pedals. The first dirt pedal goes into a second pedal that simulates a tube amp just starting to break up, while the amp itself is "cold". People can get shockingly good results doing that-- in my opinion to the point that you would be very hard pressed to tell the simulation from the "real thing" in a blind listening test.

awasson likes this.
  13. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Well clearly I have a defective Rt66 pedal. I have been playing through mine for years and I do not sound anywhere near as good as your "quick demo"! ! !

Hope you like it, I do still love mine.

Best, -H

14. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I know this is late to the conversation but I have found the Voodoo Labs Giggity to be a good pedal for fattening up single coils to make them sound great in a live band situation. Some people, usually metal heads, don't get the pedal but I do. But then again many of them don't like overdrive, only distortion or nothing.

15. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

clinchfx ep pre +

16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sounds great and you've got a nice array of tones moving from clean to dirty.

17. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

The Catilinbread Valcoder will actually do this. It's a square-wave tremolo based on the Valco amps, but you can shut off the trem (DEPTH) and run it as a dynamic JFET boost, it has a volume level knob with a boost (INPUT) and a gain knob for clean to dirt (OUTPUT) so you can dial in as much Valco-style tube grit as you need. In this video around 3:00 he rolls the depth all the way down and switches to JFET boost with some grit it sounds badass. But really it excels with tremolo ON!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  18. udoering

Yes, I think so, too, and that is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here and shared his experiences!

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.