Fattening tone with a hair of dirt - what device works?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by udoering, Jun 19, 2016.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I play a Mesa Lonestar Special, and my question concerns the clean channel. I am looking for a pedal that fattens the tone, makes it rounder and is able to add a tad of dirt without increasing the volume of the channel considerably.

I had looked on Youtube for videos, featuring some devices that might be fitting (EP Booster, Klon-Clones etc.), but the videos left me without a definite answer. Either the volume increase seemed too big, or the people were using the pedals with (for my needs) too much drive. Remember, I have the second channel for more dirt.

So, what have you tried for similar purpose that worked well?

2. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Either of those will do it. It'll make the guitar sound bigger, and that of itself will add a slight grit at high volumes

3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I just put an EP Booster on my pedalboard last week, but I've only had one rehearsal with it. Sounded great through my Orange CR60C and my AC15, both clean and dirty.

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

EQ pedal? You can boost, but not be bound by an classic 'mid-hump' OD / Boost voicing.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

EHX Soul Food?

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure someone else will suggest a Timmy... so I'll leave it to them.

But I would second that.

Really nice (and versatile) tone boost. As much or as little dirt as you could want, bass and treble cut, and great volume control too.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think you're looking in the right direction. I have 2 pedals on my board that will do this (Blue Note, Klone) but I use the klone or compressor to boost a clean lead or 2. If I'm up loud enough I dont have to do this. I'm still getting used to my rig though. Are you wanting this for live use?

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I use a J. Rockett Archer Ikon (the gold one).
    Previously I used a Soul Food bur it sounds a little "low-fi" to me, which is not always a bad thing. Before that I used a Boosta Grande but it is a one knob pedal that uses boost to push the amp and is less flexible. I tried a Bad Bob but again it is a on knob pedal that lacks control and was too dirty. I also tried a Boss EQ pedal but it does not have a drive adjustment and the sliders make it hard to make fine adjustments.

9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

eq...graphic like mxr 10 band or vfe rocket parametric

compressor...e.g., vfe white horse

tube pre amp...e.g., lone wolf harp attack or ehx lpb2ube

but all above pedals can do other things...I tend to pedals that have versatility of function.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Almost every OD pedal on the market will fatten the tone with a hair of dirt if you set it for low gain, and they can usually do it without volume boost.
    The problem is that there are so many pedals that do exactly that, but they all do it differently, and you'll get tons of suggestions from players who prefer what they prefer, which may not be what you prefer, which is why there are so many different tools for the same job.
    In addition to all the TS based ODs, there is the BB1 family, the OCD family, as noted the Klon family, the Bad Bob and SHO and on and on.
    I like the OCD because it starts fattening before the hair or dirt, so you have some control if you want less dirt, and I like the BB1 because it also goes down to no dirt, though it also has less fatness (translation: more transparent) in terms of low mids.
    Most ODs have too much grit at the bottom of the gain range for my taste.

The first thing I try with an OD is vol maxed and gain at zero, then bring the gain up to unity and see how it sounds.
    Visual Sound 808 style like in the Rt66 and the J&H do low gain fattening really well. The OCD is amazingly good at the bottom of the gain range too.
    As you point out, not a lot of youtube vids show this part of the range and instead focus on boosted more extreme settings, which is not what I'm usually looking for.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    ndcaster and ruger9 like this.
  11. davey77

davey77 Tele-Meister

Earthquaker Arrows

12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Soul Food

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Right now it´s just for playing at home and recording. And, to emphasize this point, I am not looking for a solo boost, the Lonestar has this built in and footswitchable. I want another sound colour. Comparable to the two modes of the Super Sonic clean channel maybe. Or as if I would change from a single coil to a humbucker: a little louder, less highs, more mids, a little bit more breakup / compression.

To all: thank you so far for your suggestions and experiences!

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In addition to the OCD doing what you describe better than my Klone or any TS types, the Zvex Distortron has a really good bottom of the gain fattening effect without needing volume boost to sound good.
    I think a lot of pedals need to boost the volume to sound right, so the ones that don't kind of stand out.
    I did like my Klone a lot before it died, but the lowest grit level was more grit than I want for the most subtle OD effect.

15. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

EP Booster would be a good choice, imo.

16. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

"... a little louder, less highs, more mids, a little bit more breakup / compression..."

CMATMODS Butah. It may have less midrange than you want, but the controls are very musical. I use it for low-gain overdrive, front-end amp boost, treble boost into another overdrive. The gain dials in very gradually until 3 o'clock, then it becomes a nice medium-gainer.
    Other Bluesbreaker-inspired pedals like the Snouse Blackbox may work, too. The Snouse has slightly more mids then the Butah.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

TC Spark Boost will do that for you.

teleblueman likes this.
  18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

E. All of the above.

Anything from a Tube Screamer to a Klon will do what you want, but as another poster said, they all do it a little differently. Try out anything you can get your hands on until you hear what you're going for. Spend an afternoon at a music store, or borrow pedals from every guitar player you know.

Jakedog, ruger9 and telemnemonics like this.
  19. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I would try the EP Booster, RC Booster (it has more EQ) or Archer Ikon...but there are so many good alternatives as others have stated.

One I might suggest, based on your needs in the original post would be the Wampler Tumnus. It's a Klone, but is Wamplers take on it, seems to have a bit more bass (fatness?) than other Klones I own or have tried. Might work well for you, and it wouldn't take up much space on your board. Good luck!

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Strymon Deco--The saturation side adds a bit of dirt and a lot of tape smoothing. Add a short single delay from the delay side of the pedal and you have a fatter, thicker and smoother tone

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.