1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

father and son '72 deluxe

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by fluid69, Jun 2, 2010.

1. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

I started this build about a week and a half ago, figured it was time to get some input. To make a long story short, I have a 20th anniversary affinity squier strat (with the big fat 70's headstock) that the cavities were routed to deep and busted @ the tremolo. I was going to try to pick up a strat body somewhere, but I have a really nice set of seymour duncan antiquity series pickups that I've been looking for a vehicle for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each pickup is hand signed by seymour himself twice on the back, and once on the bag they come in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I thought why not build a tele deluxe body. Kill 2 birds with one stone, and fulfill my deep lust for a tele. Since I do not own a tele, in my search for templates I found the tdpri forums. I downloaded the Terry Downs cad file (thank you Terry), and took it to a local machine shop with a waterjet machine. They blew them out of 1/8" aluminum in about 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

the wood

I wanted to do my own take on the 72 deluxe, so the search was on for some wood suitable for a guitar. Luckily, dad's next door neighbor had a good connection. I had just fixed the neighbor's computer so he thought some wood would be good payment (I thought so too). I was not prepared for what he brought back. I'm sure I got the better deal. He picked up a piece of spalted maple, a piece of cherry, a piece of walnut, 4 pieces of cedar, and some oak I'll probably never use.

here's the walnut
    [​IMG]

some of the cedar
    [​IMG]

My fave, the spalted maple after I cut it into 3 managable pieces.
    [​IMG]

And somehow I missed getting a picture of the cherry. But anyway, I decided to use cedar and maple for deluxe. I cut the peices to size then planed them on my jointer/planer.

Here is my rough layout
    [​IMG]

I glued it up in 3 stages to keep it simple.

stage 1
    [​IMG]

stage 2
    [​IMG]

stage 3
    [​IMG]

now my blank was done.

3. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

Love the templates! If you don't mind me asking how much did that run you?

Looking forward to the rest of this build!

4. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

cutting/routing

Next I laid my template out on the blank and rough cut off the excess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we sanded the different layers flat.

[​IMG]

We then routed around the template, and got this:
    [​IMG]

I thought it would be a good idea to print out a template for the deluxe pickguard to see what it would look like. I almost hate to put such a huge pickguard over top of the spalted maple. It might end up being a 72 thinline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to chime in on this. If I go with the deluxe, I'll use this neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I go with the thinline, I'll probably use this neck cut to a more familar shape. It just needs a nut.
    [​IMG]

I'm stuck here till I figure this out. Looking forward to input.

5. blindsagacity

blindsagacity TDPRI Member

go thinline, its a crime to cover up that much spalted maple

6. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

Thanks Nate. I'm not sure yet! lol. I had them throw it on my account. It's the beginning of the month so I should be getting the bill soon, and will post final cost on here. I told my buddy @ the shop I could buy these from canadianteleparts.com made from 1/4" mdf for $40 + $15 shipping.

[​IMG]

I was going to have them made out of mdf, but he said we could make it out of aluminum for way less than that. I told him my tele "brothers" on the forum might be interested in getting some made, he said they ship UPS. So I'll post the price here shortly.

Thanks for tuning in Nate, hopefully things go according to plan.

7. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

the size of the deluxe and thinline guards you've shown are the size they are largely due to the size of the wide range humbuckers... which are bigger that the hbs you have waiting.

the 2 hb spalted maple fender did in the past had no pickguard.

you might want to have a look at other two hb models - with and without mounting rings before deciding

8. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

Thanks Blind for your input. My thoughts exactly. I just had my heart set on a tele deluxe. I guess I could just use some of the other wood and build another body. I've been itching to get in to that walnut, but dad's wanting to do a semi-hollow thinline with a f-hole next. I was thinking the walnut would make a good top for that, but I probably should use the cherry or the cedar for that since they're heavier. Walnut would make a pretty deluxe wouldn't it? I'm open to suggestions. lol

9. blindsagacity

blindsagacity TDPRI Member

Walnut would make a beautiful deluxe.
    It;s what I built my first guitar body from. You'll fall in love with it.

Another possible option is an acrylic guard. It'll let you show off the wood, and if you can find some lightly tinted acrylic for it then it would still give the pickguard look.

Better yet, splated maple pickguard!

10. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

Yeah the gibson style hbs are smaller than the fender style. I was planning on making my own pickguard or getting one from warmoth. Warmoth only guarantees their pickguards to fit their bodies. One option I have is to cut it out on the waterjet. I'll have to convert my pdf to a cad drawing and update the pickup holes to the gibson hb size. Or I could just make my template by hand.

11. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

I actually thought about doing a smoked acrylic, but my girlfriend thinks I should go with the black 3 ply. Unfortunately the one piece of the maple I have left has little to no markings on it. I believe I'm going to do the walnut. I'm leaving right now to go over to dad's. I take some more pics for updates.

Thanks everybody for your input.

12. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

update

Yesterday I filled a couple of small places on my cedar/spalted maple body. Hopefully today I'll get the roundover cut, but that'll be it. I'm going to put that body back until I figure out my neck and pickup combination. If I have time today, I'll start my walnut body for my deluxe. I took some measurements to see if I had enough for a body, It was close. One end of my board looked good.

[​IMG]

The other however was about half bark.

[​IMG]

I'm debating doing it solid walnut or another "butcher block" style. If I do that style again, it'll be more like this.

[​IMG]

last night I printed out a template of the 72 custom/thinline headstock. It fit pretty good on my off brand neck.

[​IMG]

I'll try to trim that up today aswell. Feel free to give any input.

13. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

I would LOVE some aluminum templates! I would send them several CAD files to have done for me! Please let me know when you get the total.

14. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I'm eager to find out myself. I've got a few other templates I would like to have made, plus maybe a pickguard or two. I will definetly post final cost on here. When I got these cut out, he was telling me about another customer of his that actually had him cut a body out of a piece of cherry. He cut a copy of it out of plywood to show me what it looked like.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking I could use this as a template, but I'm not sure what it is. Does anybody on here recoganize this guitar? I'd like to see a picture of one. I'm assuming it has a carved top the way the cutaways are shaped.

15. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

were the antiquities available with fender pole spacing? or are you using a tune o matic bridge?

16. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

I never even thought about string spacing, but I don't see it being an issue. I had the bridge pickup stuck in the strat that busted and it sounded amazing. I think I'll try to post an mp3 or something, let you guys check these pickups out. Is the string spacing on a hard tail the same as a strat? Here's the bridge I was thinking about.

[​IMG]

The pickups are over at dad's, I'll check the spacing over the next couple of days.

17. Casual_Reader

Casual_Reader Tele-Holic

I was distracting myself from work when I posted that question and hadn't really thought it through. What prompted the question was the consistent positioning of smaller sized hbs on teles.

that hard tail bridge has the same spacing as a tom, so the bridge pup should be close enough. It might be a little off on the neck pup because of the longer scale.

18. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

I'll definetly check it out. I'm glad you brought it up because I never even thought about it. lol As promised, here's a little clip of a solo I played on the antiquity series pickups. Let me know what you guys think.

19. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

update

Ok Casual, got the info on the pickups. I think I'll be ok. The neck pickup actually looks like it has the same pole spacing as a Fender single coil.

[​IMG]

The bridge looked good aswell.

[​IMG]

That was good thinking though, and good looking out. The last thing I'd want would be to get to the end of this build, and find out I had over looked some small detail.

Had to go to L_wes today to get scroll saw blades, picked these up while I was there.

[​IMG]

Figured I could use some more titebond for glueing up these next 2 bodies. I got the elmers white because I'm going to **ATTEMPT**, (attempt being the key word there), to make my own decal paper using a method I found on here. I'll post my results. I found some silk screen emulsion, but I can't remember how old it is. I'm going to say 5 to 8 years old. What's the shelf life of this stuff?

[​IMG]

It really don't matter, I don't have a screen or any ink. lol

After I got the scroll saw blades I was able to trim up the headstock for the 72 thinline that dad wants to build.

[​IMG]

I spent the evening block and hand sanding the neck, shaping and getting it ready for clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first headstock I've reshaped. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I'll try to clear it tomorrow. Here's the template I'm going to use for the 72 thinline.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking cedar all the way for this one. Hopefully I can start my walnut deluxe body tomorrow. I'll have to see how the day plays out.

While I'm thinking about it. Where's the cheapest place to get quality 3-ply b/w/b pickguard material?

20. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

update for today

I got the bill for my templates today. $50 was the final cost. Next time I'll make them out of something cheaper, but I'm pleased with these. They are almost works of art. After all, I'd rather have aluminum temps for $50, than mdf ones for $55. My buddy at the machine shop is trying to convince me to build a body completely from aluminum or steel, and he could do it, but I got to get this wood thing down first.:lol: This morning I was able to put a coat of clear on the thinline neck before it started raining. It looks good, I just need to figure out my decal now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the roundover on my spalted maple/cedar body done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've decided to go ahead and route this body like a standard tele. That way the pickguard don't cover up so much of the wood, and I can get some practice in before I do my deluxe.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.