1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

fate of Waylons guitar

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rubbersole, May 28, 2010.

1. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

When I first heard about the Sound Check facility and all the equipment stored there it struck me as an odd practice. What are (were) the advantages of keeping so much equipment in one place, in a flood zone, no less? As far as I know this is unique to Nashville artists, though maybe not.

2. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

How many of the leather covered Tele's did Waylon have? I know cat in CA that has one. I believe it's a 53. If his son has one and the Bcaster and T. Tritt's got one, and the guy I know makes 4(unless he sold his?)
    I know lots of people lost waaaay more then some wood and wire but my heart sunk when I saw the first images. I hope the rest of the story gets out there. Seems like a subject for it's own thread?

Not to way-lay this topic any further but I registered and watched the Christies auction with the Broadcaster and Luther Perkins Esquire among the great guitars. I was hoping to get one of Hank Thompson's guitar straps. I was shocked that Hank's Bigbsy necked guitars brought so little. His signature J200 went cheap IMO. I recall Rodney Crowell's 50's J200 went for a decent price, seems like there were some good buys actually. Not on straps though!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

The only reason I keep opening this thread. :rolleyes:
    Anybody here know the Urbans? Seems like the only way we'll find out is if someone asks.

4. duck

duck Tele-Meister

Travis Tritt

Alot of people don't know much about TT but he has one of the biggest collections of guitars around.....He was doing an interview on tv once from his home and I saw teles, especially one of Marty's blue sapphire custom shop signature teles.....makes sence that he would have a Waylon tele.....Ole fuzzy would know....

5. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Nicole's not speaking to me anymore since I called her skinny.

6. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A lot of session musicians in Nashville hire a cartage company to store and deliver their gear. So, when Big & Rich call you for a session, you call the cartage company and give them a list of what to bring for you. Since they often have several guitars, amps, and effects, I can't blame them for not wanting to haul all their own gear, especially since they often play multiple sessions in a day at different studios.

7. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Thanks eryque. That's a good answer.

8. UrbanLegend40

UrbanLegend40 NEW MEMBER!

I don't understand this old country new country stuff that somehow means Keith Urban suck. Why? Because he can actually sing and does sound like a victim of throat cancer, because he writes his own music or because he is one of the best guitar players in the world. He was a studio musician before he made it for garth, alan jackson, vince gill and everyone else. Vince gill has said he is one of the best guitar players he has ever seen.

Here is some proof. Keith singing that "old" country and for the guy that wanted to hear him with just a guitar and an amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDihsFVwXTQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKNNLfr_vx4&feature=related[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. 50Rock

50Rock TDPRI Member

I just saw Brad Paisley's excellent H2O tour show a few weeks ago - my first ever country music (genre) concert. It was my daughter's choice as a reward for her good year in school.

He can play that double stop like nobody's business!

I wouldn't call myself a country music fan, as I rarely listen and own no CDs; however, I always watch the awards shows cuz all the stars come out and play live. Keith and Brad especially.

10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

it's all music... some bad, better, good and great. imo, how we perceive it depends on your taste and your level of understanding.

and i hope waylons guitar(s) survived...

rand z

11. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

yup...and according to this guy it is the number 1... :cry:

And yes, (since we somehow got on the subject), most "country" does stink to high heaven these days...but Keith Urban, while some songs are definitely suspect of a certain amount of suckage, due no doubt to selection by the Nashvegas "machine", but folks,,,,friends,,,,, neighbors!!! Keith Urban, the guitar player, most assuredly DOES NOT suck...as you will see here:

I bought the debut "Ranch" cd in Walmart years ago before I heard even a single note, mainly based on the looks on their faces that said (to me) "We do not suck...." :cool:...and sure enough, they didn't !

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  12. Schnauzer

Schnauzer Tele-Meister

God knows I am not nor do I want to be the conscious of this interchange BUT I feel compelled to state that we are all here for our affection for music and particularly guitar and especially Telecasters. Not all of us prefer one style. We need to respect other's endeavors whether or not they fit ours. I don't really understand fusion but more power to those who pursuit it. Now if you really want to get me on my high horse say something negative about Dangerous Don. Long live Johnny Crash!

13. GM60466

GM60466 TDPRI Member

Now now! Be nice.

14. bluesmain

bluesmain TDPRI Member

waylon's tele and the flood

i know that the guitar had 2 scruggs tuners on the two e strings
    so ..do all 3 or 4 all have the 2 scruggs pegs?
    is there a link to more info?
    i've seen articles in vintage guitar talking about the destruction of
    historic equipment in the flood
    thank God gruhn's shop is up the hill
    even peter frampton and cats not associated with country had tons of gear
    there
    the powers created a triage board to discuss repairs(vg mag)
    including the famous repair cats and experts( gruhn/joe glaser)
    vg said the damage is unmeasurable in respect to hit record instruments
    and music in general
    any acoustic submerged for a week the articles said is lost

15. bluesmain

bluesmain TDPRI Member

fender made 2 different waylon teles

one a lot closer to the original and one throw down version
    for rowdy johnson band kinda wanna be's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.