Fat Neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by giddyap, Jan 2, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Log split down the middle. That perfectly describes the neck of my SG. Mind if I use that expression? It fits so well. My SG neck is not my favorite except with a capo behind the 5th fret but I still play it OK. I think a guitarist should be able to play most any common instrument. I’ve been using my SG more and more lately and the neck is beginning to feel normal to me as I play it more .

Dismalhead likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've never owned an SG, but I have perhaps fallen prey to internet 'wisdom' that (most) all SGs have terminally skinny necks.

What year is yours? Or why is it not thin?

I have a couple '59 Reissue Gibsons, ES not LP, and the necks are identical, and I'd use the same term to describe. Big round C, though, not the Fender U. Really big C. 1.04" at the 12th. They're extremely comfortable to play. Not sure if they're actually period accurate, but I don't much care, either, since I'm probably not in the market for any 50s Gibsons...

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have the Bubinga version. On a Baja body its sort of like what you re experiencing, lots of treble, too much really, tho basically a good tone.I think the body isn t up to being mated w a neck capable of full range tones. It can handle the treble but not the bass. Moving the neck over to a one piece lively Hardtail Strat body brings out the strong rich bass to equal the treble, giving an excellent well balanced sound. I had a 100% Bubinga guitar a while ago , and w the Strat body it sounds like that... I think your Rosewood neck probably has tons of bass that the body can t handle , so the treble seems too loud.

moosie likes this.
  4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I did a Warmoth Fat/Bat with 6105 Stainless Frets. I had concerns about the 7-1/4 radius, as I never seemed to get along with 7-1/4", but turns out it is the vintage frets more than the radius apparently. This has been my fav neck for over 10 years.

I have huge mitts, and still the first few minutes my hand are like, wow. Then it disappears. Skinny necks give me hand cramps. ;) I guess once you get used to anything you will be fine.

The 52 U neck I have had in my mitts, could get used to that. I also like a deep V and one day I may slim the thumb meat section of the fat/bat from fret 1 to about 7-9...

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Mine is a 2006 SG Robot with the robot tuners replaced by tuners more typical of a Les Paul. They’ve definitely Gibson tuners but I’ve never been concerned about the type. They just work very well. The neck is thicker than my Strat, Tele, or Annie. Probably what I’ve heard referred to as a 50’s profile. I’ve never measured it but it feels a tad wider too. This is not a complaint. I think that my preference would be for wider and thinner but I really like my guitars, as much for their differences as anything else.

moosie likes this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

7. moosie

I need to start taking a commission on these... :lol:

TeleTown and bender66 like this.
  8. moosie

Interesting. I need to think about that. Hearing too much treble means the neck has too much bass... Either way, the result was too bright. :) Wonder how it would sound on a 'hog body... I have three blanks, and only two LPs to build...

Seriously, the little bit of circuit magic I did settled the issue completely. Since the guitar is SH (H neck), I actually have switchable parallel resistance, like how you might normally make 500s sound like a 250 for the single, but in this case I used 250k pots, and a 180k in parallel, to bring the base resistance down to about 105k. Then a 1meg in parallel with those, only in bridge position, dropping the total another 10k, to 95k (I misspoke earlier). That extra 10k made a surprising amount of difference.

Teleterr likes this.
  9. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

http://www.fretboard.com/fenderneckclarity.html

You're probably right Mr Bubbanov. I laughed out loud when you said ' the V on the Baja is V for Vague'. The soft V is likely an improvement over the U-neck, with less prominent shoulders than a U shape. But the local shops don't even carry the B. Paisley model. So I can't make a real-life comparison. The link above is a basic collection of Fender style necks, and might represent a baseline from which they base all neck shapes...

I still think the Baja V is lower and seems to become more v-shaped at the 5-12 frets.

10. moosie

I don't know about that chart. I have never seen a Fender neck with that sharp a V as their #4, except perhaps on a Clapton Strat. I certainly wouldn't think it normal, or very popular. They call it mid-50s, but the extremely popular 10/56, which is more or less the 57 chunky soft V is what I've seen in the reissues. Not sure about vintage models, but they're not talking about those, either, I don't think.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not really sure how the Baja 50's neck is classified as "fat" or "chunky".

I have several modern C's and an AVRI58 D neck. Also several original 50's C necks.

My Baja isn't as V as my Allparts TRO-V. And is only a little more meat at the headstock side than the modern C or D. The D has more rounded shoulders.

I've played original 52's with the Louisville Slugger profile. Now those are "fat and chunky".

I guess that's what I base my opinion on.

I also concur with the V for vague.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.