Fasting

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Im doing a 72 hour water fast. I’m 15 1/2 hours in. I’ve done two seven day fasts previously. The first was when I was in my early 20s and was not something I wanted to do, lol.

I was a broke kid with no clue about how to earn cash without having a “real” job. I was suddenly unemployed and living away from home with a roommate and we were both out of money by Sunday so my fast started that Sunday. By Wednesday, I hopped a fence and stole a single head of cabbage from a person’s garden (I still feel terrible about that theft). I boiled it and ate it with nothing but salt for seasoning. That was the best cabbage I ever ate, lol. It was so good. By the next Sunday I had collected enough bottles and cans to have a meal. My head had cleared (not drugs) because of fasting and I figured out I could do odd jobs for people. I cleaned house rain gutters, trimmed trees, raked yards and other odd jobs until I got another “real” job two weeks later.

The second one was when I got depressed over a girl and didn’t eat a bite for a solid seven days. By the seventh day, my mind cleared again and I was able to see the entire problem and what to do about it. We’re still married.

Fasting can clear your mind as well as reset your gut biome. I’m trying to do both. It does suck, though, until you reach a certain point. Then it’s not too bad. If you haven’t tried it, I think you’d be surprised at the difference in your thinking before and after. There are a multitude of benefits from fasting which you can discover by Google’ing.

Ok, back to what I was doing...

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve done without food for 24 hours many times-just taking water. I agree that it does clear your mind.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm interested. I've read several books on the idea.

Everything I read with modern science behind it suggests that you should plan to do basically nothing for the duration of the fast. Rest around the house, sleep, etc.

Is that what you're doing? Or are you continuing life as usual??

Torren61 likes this.
  4. ukepicker

Also, I'm curious about your diet going into the fast. Do you eat the regular American diet (fast food, lots of carbs and meats and cheese) or are you closer to the vegan end of the spectrum?

Sorry if that seems personal.

I guess you started it by telling the personal stories and admitting to grand theft cruciferous.

5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

A diabetic friend of mine has been water fasting in 40 hour weekly blocks. He starts Sunday evening and fasts until Tuesday lunch. He claims that after 24 hours, his body is in ketosis. He's lost around 30 pounds, and his glucose and A1C levels have dropped to normal levels. He also talks about mental clarity.

His doctor is very impressed. I'd try it myself, but I don't have the discipline.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know if I can do that. The clock tells me when to eat and I obey. I'm not sure that I've ever longed for the clearing of any thoughts, but I'd keep an open mind about it.

dogmeat, nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  7. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

I've never faster, but I did see a show about people lost in the wilderness, and forced to fast as they had no access to food.
    The narrator stressed several times that as the body went without food, the mind became sharper.

Maybe there was a real reason Jesus fasted in the dessert?

Good luck.

You will succeed.

Mike ;)

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My bad.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. ukepicker

Ha!! "In the dessert"
    :lol:

10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I recently heard a radio program about short-term fasting, and the benefits. I wish I could find the ling; all I can say for sure at the moment is that it was on the BBC. The presenter made a case for short fasting periods - maybe just 24 hours - done more frequently - like once a week.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Grand Theft Cruciferous might not be a band name, but def prog rock album

Stomach upset and the consequent not eating for days always rebalances me

El Tele Lobo and Torren61 like this.
  12. Torren61

I ate a bacon double cheese burger and fries with a coke last night because we worked a broken pole (I’m an electrical lineman) and we didn’t have time for me to eat my regular lunch, green salad with beans and raspberry Balsamic and olive oil. I also eat red grapes, walnuts with dried cherries, Honeycrisp apple and an orange or some other fruit as a standard lunch.

My work shift is kind of unusual in that I start at noon and work until 10pm Wednesday through Saturday with three days off. So, I started my fast after my last meal and my first fasting day is only one work day. The rest toward the end will be at home. I’ll break my fast with live cabbage to get some good stuff growing in my gut.

I’m hoping to go longer that 72 hours but I’m going to do 72 hours if it kills me, lol. It won’t. Humans need to stress from time to time as in not have food which gets the body to clear crap from your system. I’m following instruction from my very knowledgeable wife but there’s a ton of reading about it and a lot of data to back up the theories and results.

If you try, you can do this. It’s not as hard as it might sound.

Set aside some time and check this out.

kbold and El Tele Lobo like this.
  13. Torren61

Or every other day. There are a lot of fasting methods that are proven to be effective. The 72 hour water fast is the quickest. Fasting every other 24 hours for ten days (I think), is another. There’s also a doctor that sells a fasting kit where he includes nutrients for a week so that you don’t suffer too bad, lol. I think it’s something like $250 per person...

jhundt likes this.
  14. ukepicker

I've done it some.
    Never more than a few days.

The biggest hurdle for me is caffeine withdrawal.

elihu and Torren61 like this.
  15. Torren61

Im also using this as a reset for me to get back into working out. I was consistently working out until about a year and a half ago and hit a mental block where I stop/started but I’m committed to getting a routine again. I worked so much overtime over the last eighteen months that it screwed with my momentum. I made twice my normal yearly wage without over time.

This year, my health and my wife are more important to me than money or “duty”. I didn’t see any customers showing up at my door offering me thanks or support for all that work. My bank account and music gear collection grew though, lol. I added it up and I spent over $13,500 on music gear last year alone. Geeez.

Steve Holt likes this.
  16. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Very interested in this subject. So far 48 hours is as long as I’ve managed and I wouldn’t include mental clarity as something I experienced.
    Looking forward to longer fasts to see more results.

GGardner, julmust and Torren61 like this.
  17. Torren61

It really does. They thing is that you don’t notice that your mind isn’t clear because it just builds up like the frog in the boing water thing. You sure understand the difference when you get clear. It’s a real thing, folks. I promise.

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Torren61 and DekeDog like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I get my mental clarity from my morning coffee and sweetroll......and the only fasting I've tried is when I want to eat pizza before it gets too cold. (eating it "fast"....get it?)

20. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Was your mind clear when you bought that 335?:D

Fasting really worked for my wife and it also gave her more energy. I’ve gone to two meals a day but it’s not the same. I’m still confused

Torren61, El Tele Lobo and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.