1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Fasting" from overdrive...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Jan 25, 2021.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

About a week ago I decided to give myself a break from what is effectively the "refined sugar" of electric guitar (especially the "always-on" variety). :)

A week into it, and it is really apparent how much it affects what/how I play. Man, I had really forgotten how good a cleanish guitar could sound (still playing around with a little modulation and delay sometimes). Also, how accountable it can hold you when it comes to technique: There's no covering up slop with fuzzy slurs in this world. :confused:

So far so good, but I can feel some crunch coming on. :cool:

Festofish, mojek, Roscoe295 and 8 others like this.
  2. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

i always find time back and forth..just a drummer loves playing guitar. just tired playing other peoples music.
    i'm stuck in drop d ..having fun with my own riffs. i play what makes me happy. cheer's..

Festofish and Manual Slim like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hey Scott!
    I’m your alter-ego
    I have to be paid to play overdriven.
    I never use it recreationally.
    It’s official, I’m old!

4. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

When you play through a Princeton, sometimes you need a "clean fast"

Roscoe295 and blue17 like this.
  5. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

I'd say the opposite in a lot of ways. You can get away with a lot of sloppiness through a nice clean amp, especially percussive things on the strings that you wouldn't necessarily pick up on when clean. But adding some drive makes some sloppiness really stand out.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  6. E5RSY

That's because you've got class and erudition.

Me? Not so much. :D

elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  7. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Well, my crutch is delay. It sounds incomplete without it, but I’m in between delay pedals right now so I guess I’m managing.

Good luck, but don’t try too hard. With guitar, if it sounds good and feels good, it is good.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

If you like clean put away the electric and just play acoustic for a while. It tends to simplify the song arrangement- you learn what is truly essential.

howardlo and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

All things in moderation... I spent a couple years playing alone in hotel rooms with just my electric guitar unplugged and developed some habits that I need to break whether playing through an amp clean or with some crunch. On the other hand, some of the habits I developed are really cool, clean and useful. Mix it up!

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been ‘fasting’ from it since I began playing back in 1957. Never been able to stand the sound of distorted or overdriven guitar sounds. Once that became the norm in the late 60’s I quit listening. Can’t take even a few seconds of it.

11. E5RSY

Let's be clear. I'm not one for "distortion". I'm talking overdrive, proper. For example, the sound of a tweed amp cooking and on the edge. It's a sound I'm sure you heard much of in '57.

Manual Slim likes this.
  12. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've often pondered about doing this. Whether it should or not, the tone I get drastically affects how I play and what I play. Whenever I plug in I end up going almost straight to 70s-80s rock/metal settings. Sometimes I think I should just plug into a clean amp with a touch of reverb and see if I can remember how to play anything compatible.

Oddly, I play an unplugged electric most often. In those cases I suppose my imagination fills in the overdrive, distortion, reverb and feedback.

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Something I have always avoided at all costs. All I want is as clean as possible. No hint of overdrive for me.

14. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

What about a bit of power section gristle?

15. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I like it all. Clean, a little scratchy, crunchy, fuzzy - all cool, all get played at various times. And I play acoustic about 50% of the time also. I love stacking OD pedals, too - you can keep the gain low on them, and make really cool drive sounds that are different than any single pedal can give you. It's all good to me.
    Enjoy your sabbatical.

16. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Maaaaan. When I play clean I’m on a whole different set of tricks. It definitely helps me to refine my approach.

17. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like heavy distortion sometimes. But the "tasteful" light overdrive that has become the default electric guitar tone in the current day, seems to me like nothing but a big cliché.

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

It's a good thing to do. I'm not a super clean freak but I LOVE clean tones that break up a little with heavier picking. To me(and many) that's the perfect spot to be in. Allows for very expressive playing. I also enjoy playing low on the amp dial, the expressiveness isn't as obvious and doesn't come as easily so it makes you have to readjust your playing and reset your ear. It's refreshing to notice the more subtle overtones of expressive clean playing. With a good amp, or good selection of amps, there is such a huge variety of delicious tones to be had, from purely clean to self destruct overdrive. Enjoying those tones is the most satisfying thing there is.

19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I use such light overdrives that they still sound pretty clean. The dirtiest drive I use is a TS808 style one.

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Gave up overdrive a year ago. Not going back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.