Fastest Way To Improve Amp Tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hoodster, Aug 11, 2019.

1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It doesn't hurt to sacrifice a chicken at midnight at the crossroads.

2. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 TDPRI Member

1x10 combo amp on a milk crate, to be able to adjust tone and volume and 1x12 cab on chair, sitting on a rubber chair mat. The front of the cab is angled up, with a piece of 1"x2", towards the head.

A wooden pallet could be used as a stage by adding wood feet or brick/cement blocks for elevation.

YMMV

3. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Using a razor blade on the speaker cone?

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's

I use milk crates with high density foam on top.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't tried one, but I would guess that the answer is "it depends". If you need something different from an amp then yes ....maybe. But what if you prefer your amp coupled ? I have tried stands and boxes etc, by far I like the tone of my workhorse amps coupled to the stage. But there could be amps where that is not good too!
    Listening to the demo I prefer without it personally. I like the big bottom. With it... it becomes a bit flat response and woody. But hey, maybe someone likes that and that's all right too!

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Casters? I mean, if decoupling is the main goal. As opposed to raising for projection. Seems as cheap an option as anything else.

7. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Here's what I like to use. Mostly removes floor contact, angles amp toward ears, costs $2. Or nothing, if you can cut wood on an angle.

door-stop-safety.jpg

joealso and Greggorios like this.
  8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Decoupling an amp from a surface is definitely a better way to evaluate the frequency response of an amp. The bass will tighten up regardless of the surface. Obviously concrete sucks up less energy than a wood floor, but these type of decoupling devices have been around studios for years. Way before Auralex made them. If your amp is on a wood framed floor, the floor becomes part of the reflected sound. It sympathetic resonates like the shell of a drum. Sometimes this is a good thing, however, if you are evaluating what a change to a circuit might do, then best to take that amp off of the floor.

The casters are attached to the amp. It only focus the point of resonance to where those casters sit. It will have less impact on the amp's performance than the whole bottom of the amp being on the floor, but the amp is coupled to the floor unless someone has come up with decoupled floating casters. The main difference is that the platform isn't directly attached to the amp or the floor, hence it is less susceptible to smearing of bass frequencies. I am not religious about using platforms and stands, but after spending a couple of decades with microphones close to guitar cabs, the difference is noticeable. Then again I have a sand filled floor where I used to track amps. The floor was built on top of a concrete slab with rubber holders at every 18 inches of the floor joists. That floor doesn't resonate or vibrate.

The basic concept is that an amp loses less energy if it is off of the floor. The proverbial YMMV is attached. Who knows, you might be using a thin sounding amp that will be helped by the extra bass response being on a rickety drum riser.

theprofessor likes this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Might be as good...or better...for isolating the reverb tank from rickety stages.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The same principle applies to home stereo speakers.

11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I simply unplug my guitar from the amp. Sounds a whole lot better.

BobbyZ, Ricky D. and Durtdog like this.
  12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I built 5 of these table . There are two more amps in another room and another subwoofer in the bedroom. I'm sure the lady under me likes it

20190814_174737.jpg

Milspec likes this.
  13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I keep our smaller amps on old stereo speaker stands. The larger ones are on wheels.

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

She wouldn't be in your bedroom if she didn't. :D

stratoman1 and TokyoPortrait like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My flightcase base doubles as a stand and has a high density foam bottom under the amp. So that is a neat combination as it has big rubber wheeled casters too. I usually leave the amp in the flightcase bottom.

Can’t say I’ve heard any difference between that and the amp just sitting on its four rubber feet direct on the stage or risers though.

16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Pasta Player

yeah - a simple sheet of closed cell foam?
    How different?

17. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Anytime I've put my amp (SFDR) on a stage stand, regardless of venue, the bottom goes, and it just sounds worse. So I try not to do that.

Nelg likes this.
  18. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

Not to highjack the thread, but how do you like that Peavey cabinet? I’ve been thinking about picking one of those up for my Classic 50 head.

19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I really like it. There is a Celestion V30 inside. I run it with a H&K Tubemiester 36 so it really has a nice full sound. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one

The rear panel is removable so I use it in an open back configuration

leftfoot1381 likes this.
  20. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Now, that's just the thin end of the wedge.:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.