fastest relic maker on earth

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by duster77, Sep 17, 2009.

1. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

fantastic...way darker and rounder than my 50's tele...the 50's tele has different pickups and a maple neck..The new one almost sounds like an out of phase strat when it's in the middle and neck position...and the rosewood neck and different pickups make it even darker...
    Pics posted in 2-3 hrs....
    I think I may turn my surf green tele's body from light to heavy aged..The neck is VERY aged and the body is mildly aged...I was heistant to go crazy on that first one..But now...I feel pretty comfortable aging F-style bodies...
    I love the idea of the "road worn" series...Give all the guys drooling over the 5K custom shops a relic they can afford...I just wish they weren't so cookie cutter....They all look the same...Same rub spot...Same hardware..And the pickguards are terrible...That being said...Still a cool idea...that I'm sure is doing quite well.....$$$

2. bighaze51

bighaze51 TDPRI Member

Hell yeah man. Custom is custom. I don't see how you can argue with that. I made a tele body from an old pine board. All i did was stain it. I want it to age and rot and stink. Haha

3. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Your taking me the wrong way.......

And the same on my end I guess......I can tell your excited.....ENJOY !!!

No need to turn this hobby into a contest or for that matter,should we need to post up and justify what we like.......

Lookng forward to pics.......and now, ya kinda holed yo'self into posting some soundclips too.......Lots and lots of great players here........relax friend, lots of support and passionate players hang out at this place.......so much info.

Peace.

4. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

well the camera was acting up..so they arent high quality..I definitely dont claim any skills in photography.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry the pics are lame..and I know everyone says this..but it looks MUCH better in person....The marks and nicks are more subtle than they appear...
    I dont have means to sound clip tonight...But I just played it for about 20 minutes....Needs to be intonated a little better..But plays and sounds great...

5. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

Before I start, any following comments are in no way directed at anyone who has posted in this thread.
    What is it with this topic?
    OK some people like relics, some don't,. Some see it as adding character, or paying tribute to their hero, fine. Others see it as "posing" in some way, sort of like saying "hey, my guitar looks 30 years old, I must be a real musician", or whatever.
    Maybe we are saying more about ourselves when we comment on relics? Personaly, I would feel a bit silly playing one, a bit of a fake in a way, but that's just me, I don't object to someone else playing one if they dig them and I can appreciate the workmanship in a well done relic.
    Sure it makes me cringe when I see a nice guitar stuffed up by a bad relic job, but hey, if the owner likes it what the heck, it's his guitar.
    Whatever makes you happy.....

6. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

I have seen some bad custom shop Relics it took me four weeks to finish mine.
    I did it to have a go at it this was my #2 build in my life.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. glebe digital

glebe digital Tele-Meister

Oh boy..... :lol:;)
    Mate, if you post here [as anywhere] be prepared to get honest POV's from other users....ain't nothin' personal. :D

Personally the 'nicks' on your lovely red Tele look -to me- as if they all happened at once, rather than over a long period of time. I imagine it's a very hard thing to get right.......but hey, I love the colour! :cool:

8. drummerdarko

drummerdarko Tele-Meister

yup. I dig a relic too, but yours seems a little over done. But you did say they are much more subtle in person. I'll take your word for it.

9. drummerdarko

drummerdarko Tele-Meister

btw - I freaking love that seafoam tele!

10. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

In defence of all relic'd guitars i have to say

And this directed to no-one in person!

I own one relic'd guitar i keep as a backup.
    It's beaten up, thrown down a flight of stairs, heavily sanded on refin on refin on refin, smeared with shoepolish/cigarette ashes/beeswax/motorcycle chain dirt/skin-oils/nicotine/wood stain/tea & vinegar/ treated with chemicals etc. etc..

That one, i beat on harder when playing... i 'hurt' it so more comes out of the guitar...

I would not do that to my #1 Axe so i play with more care thus my feel and style is different.
    As i do like to do both to guitars, i like both guitars.
    But i'm sure that there's people that would care for only relic guitars and or old guitars.
    Same as there are people who only care for new/clean guitars.

So we are divided in three general camps, so what?

There is beauty in real old stuff,. why should people not be able to replicate that?
    Take a look...

[​IMG]

This could very well be a very high quality airbrush painting/artwork too!
    For people who know airbrush art and the quality it can have.

I'm just trying to make a small point here.
    If people like f.i. Preeb do a very excellent replica of a 50's guitar i think of that in the same way a artwork would make me.

Or my favorite worn jeans, think of it that way, it just feels more comftable.

Same with relic'd guitars.... the good ones at least..

11. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Olaf, very very well put :)

12. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

That was one I built and relic'd also...Pics were taken by photographer instead of camera phone....Thats why the burgundy looks so crappy...It looks WAY better than in these pics...

13. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Well the color looks great.. but I have to say that the relic doesn't look IMHO like a worn guitar rather than it's been dragged by the truck.. I do like the look on the hardware anyway much more subtle..

That's a really good job..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.