fastest relic maker on earth

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by duster77, Sep 17, 2009.

1. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

My latest tele...Went from bare body and parts..to 99% done(I still need to age the headstock..and stain a few spots) in 6 days...And really..it only took 4 days...the rest was waiting on my bro to help me under the hood..wiring and such...
    But the body(already filled and sanded..prepped and ready) went from bare wood..4 coats of primer...4 coats of nitro...3 coats of clear..2 coats tinted nitro...plus all the bangs..dings..nicks..etc...
    4 days..
    and it looks good...
    Real good...
    As soon as the headstock looks right..I will post pics...
    This was my first HEAVY RELIC....
    And the next one will be too..
    OH..the best part...Vintage specs...minus clay dots...just over $600...Just as good as some custom shops IMHO....Much better price than the 3-6K for a masterbuilt..

tele rule!!
    esquires too...
    Pics soon....
    If anyone wants to see her...
    In the meantime.
    My surf green tele...this was my first build:
    [​IMG]

2. Voozle

Voozle TDPRI Member

I'm definately interested in pics. Also of your suef green tele - I just finished one with a black pg and rosewood neck (body made from ikea planks). Pictures of that one next week.

But...the fastest relic maker on earth is my son (1 3/4 years), he relics every guitar in seconds ;-)

Cheers
    Markus

3. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

yeah, I got chills. pictured a truck dragging a tele behind it or something...

4. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

nah..Just sandpaper...scissors..screwdriver..and a low E string is all it takes to beat her all to hell..

next project...fiesta red esquire...after that oympic white tele...

5. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

the surf green tele is one inch above your message..

6. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

[​IMG]

7. dantonel

dantonel Tele-Meister

MURDERER!!!!!!!

8. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

Oh God! I won't be sleeping tonight. that would be one hell of a relic if it survives though.

9. fishtownmike

fishtownmike Tele-Meister

I have a relic Les Paul. It took me twenty years to earn it. I don't get the new relic guitars that they sell and some here desire to make.:?: I like my guitars to start out looking new. Go play your guitar and earn those wounds.

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

A Tele could drag a truck.

11. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Hallelujah, brother. Relics, schmellics. Accidents happen in due course of just playing the instrument and loving it. MOJO comes from the guitar maker, and player, not so much from the guy with a chain beating up a board, or a razor blade scratching a new guitar finish to simulate age cracks.

I saw a '57 Goldtop LP relic at Gibson Showcase ($7700), and I had to laugh. Before my '58 got stole, and it was 25 years old when that happened) it did not look as bad as a brand new relic. You can buy a perfect '58 re-issue, play it, and love it for 30 years, and it will be worth a lot more than the relic (IMHO).

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

So you would ban anyone building or buying what they see fit?
    Or do you just like to critisize other's choices?

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Please let's not turn this into yet another relic hater thread :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of them myself but if if they float someone else's boat then that's just fine.

14. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Sorry, no flame intended. Just my honest opinion. I know it takes a finishing talent to create a relic look, and I appreciate that everyone has their own taste for these things. I am just an old-fashioned "like 'em new and shiney" kind of guy.

15. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Relics! Some get the concept; some don't.

Everyone's got their own ideas and their own instruments that they can do what they want with. Their choice. End of story.

Let's see some photos. I'm interested.

16. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

wow...man....ok then...
    The body is finished..So I will post a pic tomorrow..The neck and headstock arent..So they wont make the pic...Eventually...
    But onto the more interesting topic of new vs relic..and people's opinion of how one earns dings on a guitar..rather than putting one there..preconceived notions about who's a pro musician and who isnt...WOW!!!!!
    First off... I love the relics being made by FCS..and many of the other good relic-ers out there...But I also have a brand new shiny strat..and a custom shop les paul that looks new still..and a Les Paul Jr witout a nick on it...So it's not as if I oppose new guitars...I just have an affinity(like MILLIONS of others) for beat up teles..esquires..and strats..Both look and sound.. Additionally..I was trying to "relic" my first guitar to look like SRV's 20 years ago...And my first strat..tried to relic it too...Way before the relic craze even existed...Just because it's wildly popular now..doesn't mean it's a new concept..Furthermore...When the first aged instruments starting showing up...Mainly from the FCS...I..and many others..realized holy crap...Not only do these things look cool...They feel and sound amazing!! But they cost 2K-6K for custom shops...masterbuilts..etc...
    Some people like a guitar to look beat up...MOST guys I know down here in texas immediately sand the back of their fender necks...A new neck is too sticky...
    Anyways...if I..or anyone else...can assemble a guitar like that...I really don't see why anyone wants...cares..or has the time to actually complain about it in an online forum...
    Second...when some says a guitar should get aged naturally...not faked.. Directly to the person trying to show off a relic they are proud of, it kinda implies that the person doing the relic isnt a real musician..or needs to spend more time playing/gigging...or that you, the complainer...are somehow a superior musician because you buy new guitars and bang em into the PA when you're drunk at a bar gig..
    I have played thousands of shows...I've shared the stage with some of the best around and have plenty of pics to prove it...But I like to relic teles too...CRAZY!!!!!
    Seems to me the people who go on forums just to talk S#^T and cause problems are the guys who actually have no gigs and need to spend more time dinging up there new guitar...Im not saying anyone in this post is trying to start anything..I dunno...But many people do.
    This WAS directed at a couple comments in this post...But I've heard this sentiment about a relic many...many times before...So this is really to anyone who feels the need to complain about a project someone else is excited about...

And for those who DO like to relic...I did the very last touches to get some of the places the wood shows through darker...Minwax dark walnut wood stain was perfect..
    The body...done..5 days..

peace

duster

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  17. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Tele-Holic

Amen, brother.

18. Hollmanp90

Hollmanp90 Tele-Afflicted

Relics. Fastests. Maker.On Earth.

Seems like your entering a contests or something. Its probally got the relic-haters shook up and the lack of pics. is not helping.........then suggesting your fast at it.......hmmmmm.

I like a tasteful relic ......... but your guitar isn't done until she is put together,wired and playing nice.........so why the claim of "fastests"

Enjoy and have fun.

19. duster77

duster77 TDPRI Member

My guitar is wired and playing perfectly...has been for days... I havent aged the headstock....But the neck is on...the axe is setup...
    The fastest relic-er on earth title was..one.. to get people to read the link..Which worked beatifully I might add..But was mainly pertaining to the body...Taking an unfinished body...doing the primer..color..clear..tinted clear..and dings...in 4 days...instead of the notion that you need to wait days..months..even weeks between coats of whatever while it dries and cures. And if I were happy with the headstock as is..I WOULD be done...As it was wired and fired with the neck 6 days after it was begun....
    I will post pics when my wife gets home with her camera tonight....

A guy simply trying to by excited about his tele projects on a TELE FORUM gets all this???
    Can anyone in here even play a guitar?

oh also..."then suggesting your fast at it.......hmmmmm"

me telling you how long it took...is the proof!!!?!?!?!?! simply posting a picture without you believing me doesnt mean anything...it's the internet..remember? I could feasibly post ANY pic I want....
    I will indeed post the defendant on trial tonight..but you see my point?

20. bighaze51

bighaze51 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, chill out. Duster, I personally think the fact that you know how to do all that is awesome. I still have my first bullet strat hangin on the wall in front of me waiting on some new guts to bring her back to life. I sanded all the paint off in an attempt to help out with the tone. I'm a huge SRV fan myself. I didn't do it to relic it but it was an attempt to make it sound better. I played a road worn 50's strat at the music store a while back and i loved the feel of it. The neck isn't sticky with paint and the body is the same. I tried to keep my partscaster waxed and clean for a while but my arm rubs raw on the body. But i fixed that with a little steel wool. So, you're tell may not be brand new and shiny, but i bet she plays like a dream. How does it sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.