Fast Fret, and wiping beneath your strings.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
Like many others, I use Fast Fret to wipe my strings down after each time I play my guitar. The other day, however, I decided to take that little cloth that comes with it and slide it beneath the strings.

You might be surprised if you do this. I think I removed about 2 tablespoons of rust from beneath the strings. Next time I do this I might use toilet paper and flush it down the toilet afterward, because that's what it looked like.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have been using something called The String Cleaner for years, lets you clean above and below the strings.

Amazon.com: The String Cleaner by ToneGear : Musical Instruments

81U5KytyxTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use Dunlop String Cleaner with it.

Amazon.com: Dunlop 6582-FR Ultraglide cleaner for Strings : Musical Instruments

41H3z8GOHxL._AC_.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
After gigs, it's sponge bath time!

I use a wrung out wash cloth then a dry tea towel over and under strings, neck and entire guitar body ( acoustic or electric)
I change strings every 3 gigs ( avg.) so they never really get dirty or rusty

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I have used FF every so often for decades - usually when I finish playing. I always assumed the mineral oil would be drawn underneath the strings as oils do. Guess I was wrong. But I DO change my strings occasionally as well. Once your strings start to corrode, the process just speeds up. Some people really have corrosive funk and destroy strings quite quickly. Perhaps without FF, you wouldn't get much life out of your strings.

BTW, to keep cost down, you can use light mineral oil to add juice back to the applicator. All FF really is is light mineral oil with a lemony scent.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
I have used FF every so often for decades - usually when I finish playing. I always assumed the mineral oil would be drawn underneath the strings as oils do. Guess I was wrong. But I DO change my strings occasionally as well. Once your strings start to corrode, the process just speeds up. Some people really have corrosive funk and destroy strings quite quickly. Perhaps without FF, you wouldn't get much life out of your strings.

BTW, to keep cost down, you can use light mineral oil to add juice back to the applicator. All FF really is is light mineral oil with a lemony scent.
They changed the smell from the last time I bought it in the late 80's. Now it has a sort of cork grease smell.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I just change my strings after three gigs.
They never have a chance to get rusty/dirty.
I like em’ to ring, not thud.