1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fast Food. What's Going on Here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I try to stay away from fast food establishments, but in the last year, the convenience is just, well, convenient.

Last week, we're out of ice cream. It's too late to go to the store, so I thought I'd run through Burger King (right down the road), for a couple of shakes. I drove up, and said, "Can I get two chocolate sha..." Then the guy says, "Sir, our system is down." Before I could even get the words out, "What does that mean?" He says, "Have a nice day." I'm thinking, it just after 10 P.M., what are you going to do for the next two hours when you close at midnight? Collect your paycheck?

I drive a little further down the road to McDonald's, "Can I get an Oreo McFlurry and..." She says, "Our machine is down."

"So, can I get a chocolate shake?"

"No. It's the same system."

A week latter, I'm driving through Taco Bell.

"We don't have any lettuce."

"Really? Cancel my order."

In my '40s now, I don't lose my cool like I used to. [Removed by Staff].

What's the deal here? Coincidence? Or, is the current situation and demand the problem?

Festofish and PARCO like this.
  2. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dunno, don’t do much fast food myself, either, but the McDs ice cream/shake machine being down is literally a standing internet punchline.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I "do" fast food fairly often.
    I'm lazy, impatient, and can't cook,
    Around here, fast food places are busy, fully functional and making lots of money.
    A small blessing, I suppose.

Killing Floor and getbent like this.
  4. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

There used to be a Checkers here and it was the only place I liked that was fast food.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have to drive 90 miles to the first fast food restaurant nearest me. That does not seem very fast.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

The supply chain is for sure stressed and the various fancy schmanzy 'systems' need maintenance and repair and that is a hassle today, so, it is all probably true and the poor workers are tired of getting hammered by people who cant accept that things have changed.

not you, the 10 before you.

ElJay370, Wyzsard, rand z and 8 others like this.
  7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I had an odd experience last summer, where I had a craving for Burger King – don't judge – so I stopped at the first one I saw. Stood there at the counter for 10 minutes and despite the fact there were 7-10 people working there, no one would come out and ask me what I wanted. So I went down the road to the next one I saw... where there were 3 people in line before me... and still, no one would come out front to wait on us. Rinse, repeat... I end up at a third BK – it had become a social experiment at this point – and again... no one came to the counter to take anyone's order. Three miserable customer (no-)service experiences in less than 45 minutes.

I haven't been back to a Burger King since.

SRHmusic likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've been doing a lot more fast food lately and have noticed that the workers are either incapable of understanding an order (or the name Steve), or else are overly sappy patronizing.
    Generally the people I don't like, not the food.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Every few weeks I get the craving for a burger and fries so I hit the A&W drive thru. So far, it's been perfect -- don't jinx me!

10. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I only eat meat 5 days per year. So, on one of the days I always have KFC fried chicken, weird I know but I happen to love KFC chicken. Every time I go to KFC I always give the drive thru person a big tip. The reaction is always the same: "no one has ever given me a tip!" That is a shame.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Ice cream machine broke. That's a thing. Google Ice Cream Machine Broke. You'll see what I mean.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

P
    P Terry! Caramel shakes FTW.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

What's so extremely weird about your story to me is the fact that there's enough density of BK's where you live that you could get to three of them and stand in line for a while in less than 45 minutes!! That just seems sad to me that people's eating habits could support that many of a single brand of fast food within a small area. I tremble to think how many McD's you could have got to in 45 minutes!!

RomanS likes this.
  14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

The entire nation’s BK’s credit card system was down the other day (assuming the same day as your story.) I waited in the drive through line, just to find out they’re only taking cash, while I only had 2 dollars on me.

I got a group email from the BK CEO or whatever the next day. I thought it was just that Burger King.. it was the whole nation. They graciously sent me an offer for a 5 dollar Whopper combo for the trouble.... the exact same offer they have every day on their app.

it’s right next door to my work, so I end up there more than I should.

That Bacon King burger is like a pound of artery and bowel blocking deliciousness.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like their fries best!

Killing Floor likes this.
  16. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

You dodged a bullet. Someone's looking out for you. I don't think any of those places serve anything close to ice cream.

17. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No idea. My system is down.

18. BigDaddyLH

I feel that if we brainstorm, there's a couple band names in there.

nickmsmith likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

wait, what? Big Daddy, you have been eating hamburgers?

I'm completely floored.. you... beef... what?

You are my online vegan idol... I have a real idol at my office who is vegan and calmly explains his ideas and I listen...

and fried fries.. what the heck... are you messing with me?

20. BigDaddyLH

I'm flexitarian. Before that, I was vegetarian for about 20 years. I did it to save the world -- how'd I do? Oh yeah, we're all gonna die.

I did have a Cuban-ish bean soup with cornbread muffins tonight, so there might be a teen burger this week! It's all about snakes and ladders.

drlucky, JL_LI and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.