1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fast boats.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking of gas usage.
    My ex in law's moved to Florida around 2,001 and bought a big boat to live in. Thing had two 454 Chevys and I think a 4 cylinder for the electric generator.
    Got the thing for around $25,000 and the marina rent was cheaper than a trailer park. Exfather in law likes to play big shot but has never had the money to do it right. So they were just going to live in the thing and bum boat rides off neighbors that could actually afford to start up their boats.
    They did the same thing on Leach Lake by Walker MN with a duel 350 Chevy powered boat. That one they just stayed in on weekends in the summer and it probably got repossessed in the fall.
    The guy should right a book about keepin up with the Jones on a deadbeat's budget.

Stubee likes this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Always wanted to take a spin in one of these.. 19-racer-15f-water-029-9in.jpg
    This also looks like fun, of course the crew costs would be something else.. J-Class-Endeavour.jpg

S-arm, Honest Charley and BobbyZ like this.
  3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Appropo of nothing here I suppose but one thing about the Isle of Man race coverage that makes me smile is the bikes outrun the helicopter on at least one part of the course...

Honest Charley and bottlenecker like this.
  4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

This guy worked it out...

LongLiveRock54 and bottlenecker like this.
  5. S-arm

S-arm TDPRI Member

Interesting story. I read through an article about this and the lake this boat crashed on in its speed record attempt Is just 40 miles south of the lake I grew up on.

Thanks for posting.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some of the guys who raced out on the Niagara River (with Tonawanda to the south and Grand Island to the North) with these huge Merlin engines and other powerplants out of fighter planes, and blown Hemis, had lost their drivers licenses and needed another way to fill their need for speed. Those races were great, and watching fellows make quick repairs to big high powered motors was as much fun as the races themselves.

And we had them out on Lake Ponchartrain, in New Orleans from the 1960s on. I know Al Copeland threw a lot of money away out there; he cut back after a while when he got hurt pretty bad in a snowmobile accident in Tahoe - all kinds of good ways of getting hurt or killed out there.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

My vote goes with the 'overcompensating' folks.

The real skill is to sail somewhere fast with rope and canvas...

8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In Ontario we have about 250,000 lakes. Operating a powered boat requires a license. This wasn't the case when I was a teen so I grumbled and complained when this was introduced. Seeing the power available today makes me think it's not a bad idea to have a law requiring boating safety course and a license.

9. boris bubbanov

I've been thinking about this "overcompensation" concept.

No offense intended, but this just sounds like what people who sit on the couch and watch TV like to say about people, in general, who go out and get on the water and get sunburned and who don't really focus so much on how big or how small their watercraft is.

My newest whitewater kayak is about 8 feet long. It creates the optical/sensory illusion that your legs have somehow just evaporated - there's just not enough space in front of you for them, it seems. And while boating, I just don't have time to worry about what other kinds of watercraft other people may or may not be using. IMO if you're worried about what boat the other person has, you're doing it wrong.

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I can do 6 knots in this baby...easy with a little wind. IMG_1935.JPG

william tele and pondcaster like this.
  11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The only boat I'll ever want is a Ski Nautique.

12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

120 mph maybe 320 mph no way.

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't know if this is overcompensating, but those kayakers do risky things. This is one of my sons in 2008 on Dry Creek in Arkansas.

Richard on Dry Creek.jpg

william tele and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Cool if you want to jar your spine.
    Super fast small boats are just ----> uncomfortable.

15. boris bubbanov

That's wonderful! That has got to be 30 feet (the most I ever did, over in Alabama years ago).

I take it the pool at the bottom is super sketchy. Otherwise, he's going to land a bit too flat for my liking. I like to be much closer to vertical on that big of a drop - but then the pool must be deep. Some of my friends are about one inch shorter on account of landing these big drops wrong. It can really compress your spine!

We had an awful time trying to catch rivers up high in Arkansas, All I ever got to run, difficulty wise, was Richland Creek and of course, the Cossatot. Ozark/Ouachita rivers drain off lightning fast!

Harry Styron likes this.
  16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Then there's the Hydroptere - 51 knots.

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Who needs a motor?.. this 80 foot race boat I crewed on was scary fast/powerful....:eek:

doing well over 20 knots here....just cruisin'...

that's me sitting above the C....:D

Castaway Yacht sm.jpg

18. boris bubbanov

These short, smallish boats turn on a dime and pop up like a cork, but honestly they're quite slow.

In my heyday, we used a considerably longer, more needle shaped watercraft and the force of impact was not that bad if you landed right. As the boats got shorter and wider, the impact with the foam at the bottom grew and grew. Boaters learned how to get down the rivers THEN gradually changed the designs to make them harder to get pinned on rocks and the wider cockpits were easier to safely escape from when you did get trapped. The old designs had tiny cockpits and it was way too easy to get your legs trapped in there and the boat would collapse and you were in a terrible way if a friend could not get to you and cut the cockpit away or cut the boat up so you could escape - even if your head and shoulders are above water, the hypothermia would get you soon enough.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.