1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fast boats.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can't imagine any reason to do so.

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My son and I built this 16-ft wherry about 8 years ago. It is fast enough for me.
    IMG_1495.JPG

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Donald Campbell was killed when Bluebird K7 broke up on my local lake when I was a very young kid.

Was going over 320mph when it somersaulted.

IMG_4427.JPG

They pulled up the wreckage a few years ago.

Unless you are planning on breaking the water speed record, you can keep your powerboats and jetskis well offshore though. Noisy, offensive machines that can really ruin the environment around a lake in a valley.

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  4. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

uriah1 likes this.
  5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks alike a slow hull. Put two of those engines on a skater, and you're breaking 120MPH easily. (I can guestimate this because ours did 113MPH with Twin Mercury 300 outboard engines, which have almost half the HP of a 700hp outboard.

Never understood those quad engine fishing type boats like this.. They don't go very fast for their power/fuel use. I always thought they were more for drug running boats too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How big is the fuel tank?

boris bubbanov and william tele like this.
  7. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

They (well some people) used to have boat races on Lake Waco (home of the Lake Waco triple murder). One year (around 1974), one of the boats spun out (yes, boats can spin out) in a corner and the boat behind it had nowhere to go but over the driver of the spun out boat. Fortunately, I was close enough to see the red rooster tail, and both parts of the deceased drivers body pulled out of the lake. I was 15 and will never forget it. Needless to say, they quit having gentleman's powerboat racing on Lake Waco...

Now, about the Lake Waco triple murder, it was a few years later, I was 18 hanging out at Kahne Park with about 200 other teens along with the victims and murderers, I actually knew one of the murderers, but did not know he was involved until many years later.

8. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Geez, I know, that rig must suck gas like a champ...

9. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of it came from tournament fishing - faster out and back equals more time with baits in the water and ability to cover water quickly to change locations (mostly kingfish tournaments). But every macho man fisherman wants what the big dogs use so the fast boats are objects of desire. And your last thought applies as well, hence my comment earlier about the law enforcement agencies having to keep equally fast boats.

10. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Way too much of this in the Miami area. We don't have as much of it down here in the Keys - thank God - but we have enough that it is a problem occasionally. Too many of the folks that power up boats in this fashion aren't skilled enough to operate them. Fortunately, most folks down here have the common sense to know they don't need but one or two engines.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    uriah1 likes this.
  11. dkmw

Rick, you're right about Miami. I avoid that area like the plague. But a lot of those Miami guys run their ridiculous boats down to the upper Keys - maybe you're south and don't see them. The real Conchs aren't in a hurry, you're right again:)

uriah1 likes this.
  12. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Time and distance

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I am way south...like where Irma first hit. There's lots of shallow water (barely 2'), back-country boating down here. It doesn't leave much room for foolishness. Hit the bottom at 20 knots or faster and you and your passengers will be launched like missiles. Your boat and lower unit(s) won't be doing too well either. God knows how much damage that would cause the environment. Fast boats are also a terrible hazard for sea turtles (endangered and notoriously slow) and other marine life down here.

Our law local enforcement is friendly and helpful as can be, but they won't hesitate to stop some moron who's causing problems driving his over-powered boat like an idiot.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Some years back I worked at a yacht brokerage. We had a prototype 25' deep V Mirage there that had a Chevy 502 in it (MerCruiser I/O). I rode in it once, and it scared the $#!+ out of me (and I grew up on the water). It jumped out of the hole at about a 45 degree angle as soon as the throttle was goosed, and within 100 feet it was pushing 90. Too much engine, not enough hull. The owners (of Mirage) wanted to re-prop it to get it to 100, but changed their minds when confronted with the reality that it was too damn dangerous.

My brother (who also worked there) took it out for one of the photo shoots, and used to have some pictures taken from the chase boat where he circled around and jumped their wake. The bow was easily four feet out of the water with only the bottom half of the prop still submerged (remember this boat had a stern drive, so the prop sat much lower than an inboard), and my brother said he was only doing about forty when he hit the wake.

uriah1 likes this.
  15. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

An Apache?

apache.JPG

Anode100 and dkmw like this.
  16. dkmw

Yeah, that's probably a phone call away. They have a robust interdiction force in South Florida.

Honest Charley likes this.
  17. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Holic

Back when we were younger and taller a fast boat got us to the far rigs hours before the big boats on calm days.

Burning 300 gallons of fuel in a weekend was normal.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

I couldn't afford to fuel that beast.

19. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I remember when that happened. He was another racer guy I followed back then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.