FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

AL probably stands for Adam Levine.

2. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

NGD: scored a ME302 on eBay. Should be here soon. :) This will be my Tele style guinea pig. I'm thinking a Bigsby tremolo would be nice.

3. Tatercaster

This will be my first First Act guitar. Anything I should be aware of? I can see that the tuners look kinda cheap, hope that's all that'll need replacing.

4. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

(1) The ME302's pickups and bridge are in a slightly different location than they are on a Tele, so you are stuck with the stock pickguard.
    (2) The finish on the ME302 is brittle. Remember this if you install a Bigsby. Of course, a brittle finish is great if you want to relic your ME302.

Yes, the tuners are low-end. The electronics are OK. The body is solid, lightweight wood.

I wish that I hadn't sold mine; if you won this recently on eBay, then you outbid me!

5. Tatercaster

Sorry I outbid you, but glad to have another Tele. :) I've got some Ping vintage styled tuners that have found a nice new home.

I've been looking at this particular model First Act for a while.

6. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the ebay score, Tatercaster. Hey, I think you and I PM'd a while back and I promised pics of mine that I never delivered.

Hopefully better late than never for First Act fans. I have played this at a TDPRI jam and was thinking recently as I played this that I will again. It's nothing great but it does stay in tune and sounds fine through a clean amp like my Hot Rod Deluxe.

You guys know those stories of guys who get incredible deals and think, "why do I never find those deals?" I'm usually among you in envying others' good luck but I finally got my turn maybe a year or so ago when I wandered into a thrift shop on a whim and found this guitar, minus strings, for $4.99! I got it for $5.23 out the door with tax and still have the receipt to prove it. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polishing the frets with 0000 steel wool - something I do with every used guitar I bring home. Of course I did the actual polishing outdoors but here's a pic after taping the board with painters tape.

[​IMG]

Under the hood is quite tidy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is suprisingly little wiring under here!

[​IMG]

Hardware is decent. The knobs look great but are plastic.

[​IMG]

Of course I'm leaving the price tag on the guitar! Too bad it's not on the front. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad guitar for $5.23, even if putting on a set of strings doubled my cost.

7. Tatercaster

Is that neck pickup Strat sized? I haven't laid hands on it yet, but was wondering about upgrades in case I want to put a twin rail pickup in there. Might have to see about the possibility of an aftermarket pick guard too. Nice to know it's routed like that. Nice big cut outs for a humbucker in the neck if I decide on it later.

8. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the neck pickup appears to be Strat sized.

9. Tatercaster

I played it today. I like it! Very nice for less than $50. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  10. Tatercaster

Honga man, that is a freakin' AWESOME guitar for $5.00!!

I paid $400 for my Danelectro '59 DC in '98 and it had a high fret. The frets on this First Act are flawless as far as I can tell.

11. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

Just making conversation here re: First Act necks/fret work...

There's a FA solid body in a a nearby thrift store. They want $60 for it. I'm not going to buy it because I already own too many guitars, including a First Act ME-951 described earlier in this thread, and a Chinese Squier I bought at that thrift store for $60. I also own a couple FA necks I bought for projects I've yet to complete.

Sighting down the neck I see the thrift store FA has the same problem that my two FA necks have, which is that there is a slight hump around the second/third fret. When I had one of my FA necks on a guitar temporarily, I determined that the hump caused buzzing for notes played on the first fret. I was able to solve the problem somewhat by lowering the second and third frets a little, and by keeping the action a little on the high side.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon on a First Act neck? FWIW, I had no such problem with the neck on my 951.

12. Tatercaster

I was so impressed with my ME302 I bought this for my daughter:
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1403299337.403594.jpg

13. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Here's the one I redid! It was once yellow but, hey she wanted pink!!!

Attached Files:

Autolycus likes this.
  14. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Nice job!

15. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I used some spray can pink paint, then sprayed a clear glossy coat of some stuff that is supposed to leave a glassy like finish (can't remember the name of it , by Krylon I think) . It worked really well until about the third coat. It was winter and basement was kinda cool, and the clear krinkled around the edges of the top. Really gives it a cool effect. It's like a clear "sunburst" effect ! LoL. For a five dollar guit it plays very well ! :lol:

16. Tatercaster

What kind of prep work did you do before painting? I'm painting my daughters guitar (pictured above) pink and then I'm planning on making a custom butterfly pickguard for it.

17. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Just sanded flat filled a couple of divots, sprayed about five coats of paint, about four of the glass coating,. I sanded with fine sand paper and wiped it down between coats. Didn't get really professional, but it did come out nice.

18. OddEddie

OddEddie TDPRI Member

First act strat identification

So I picked up a First Act strat copy. Single coil pup, whammy bar & no truss rod cover (no evidence there ever was one). I think it was made around 2008-09? My question is what model is this?? Looks like the ME301 but only single a pick up. The only numbers are on the neck plate "2EC05413504". I own several quality guitars & I gotta say Im surprised at how well it plays and sounds , actually pretty un-believable better than any Fender squire or affinity Ive played. In a blind test I would say it plays better than most $200-$300 guitars Any help would be appreciated
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

19. telrev

telrev TDPRI Member

I just did a little searching, and I think what you've got there is an older AL4042...part of the Adam Levine 222 series. Here's one on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Act-222-Electric-Guitar-/251595321037?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a943feecd

I personally don't have any experience with that particular model, but I have started to draw the line with First Act and limit any potential purchases to between 2005-2011 models....those were the years that the custom shop was active, and in my opinion, that's where the higher quality, budget priced stuff was designed, and I personally believe there was more "hands-on" quality control going on, not just with the high end American made products, but also with the overseas assembled products.

Of course, this is all personal observation, and I am by no means an expert...these are just one man's opinions. My only beef with any of the First Acts I've purchased is that it seems they've all lacked decent tuners - slap decent tuners on 'em, and they're as stage worthy as any $300 and up guitar.

I've seen in recent photos that Paul Westerberg is still taking his ME-501 out on stage regularly on the Replacements reunion shows, though, he's done some customization to the paint job such that it's barely even recognizable these days

[​IMG]

20. OddEddie

OddEddie TDPRI Member

Thanx TelRev
    I contacted First Act via their website. They were very helpful & quick to respond. Given the serial number they said it was an ME300 made in 2005. Funny thing is my friend bought it new from Toys r Us (as he remembers). I agree that it needs a new pickup, tuners seem OK but would definitely benefit from new ones. Just finished setting the action (almost laying on the frets w/no buzz) & intonation.....spot on. Will be a great little guitar for one of my "beginner Guitar friends or maybe for a traveler. If I didn't already have a nice "Strat" Id keep it for sure
    Cheers All!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.