1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

Picked up an ME-951 used for $60 last summer. I was on the road for business for about a month and wanted something cheap enough that I wouldn't feel bad if I had to abandon it somewhere. I ended up getting it home and it since then it's become one of my more frequently used electrics. It plays well and sounds good. I wish there was a little more radius to the fretboard.

The place that I bought it from loaned me some tools so I could set it up well enough for practicing in hotel rooms. When I got it home I lowered some nut slots and swapped out the original HB for a Gibson P-90. That required putting a spacer in the neck pocket to raise the strings over the P-90. It could still use to have some of the frets about the 15th fret levelled.

It came to me without a pickguard. I decided to fill the holes and buff to hide the fact that they'd been there, but I messed it up. I ended up stripping the black finish and repainting in Duplicolor Wimbledon White (Olympic White). That process was written up in a couple TDPRI threads.

I created a clear plexiglass pickguard and put a picture of tortoiseshell behind it. I posted about that on the TDPRI Tortoise Shell Club thread.

I covered the First Act logo on the headstock with one that says Gib-non, because it looks kind of like a LP Jr DC, but is not a Gibson.

I've played it at a few gigs since the fall. It works pretty well

[​IMG]

2. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

IN !

[​IMG]

3. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Picked this one up off of craigslist a few months back for $30. I replaced the nut, saddles, pickup and electronics. It turned out to be a pretty good player once I did the upgrades and gave it a good set up. Body is super thin and it must have the world's shortest trem block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Hey guys, just checking in. I'm gassing for another First Act, and I've got my eyes on a coupe on eBay. The one I really want, is the ME501, I'm not sure if they make different versions or different colors of the 501, but the one I want has two covered humbuckers, a faded redish/orange finish with cream colored body and neck binding and pick guard, two volume/one tone pots and a hard tail bridge with string through. If the price is right, I'm hoping to own it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Now, it's time to get ready for rehearsal with a friend. I'll be using my Garage Master (still in love), and trying to emulate an acoustic sound. Love these things! We'll see how it pans out with the auction. Peace!

5. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

A sad day. Just got done rehearsing with my friend, all the while playing my Garage Master. I've seen this before, and know these guitars are notorious for it too. The pearloid finish on pick-guard section that house the 3-way switch, is starting to peel. For some reason I always thought, "This will never happen to mine!" It did, it happened. I'm going to attempt to re-adhere it with some sort of glue, just not sure with what yet. Or maybe I'll just let the relicing take its course.

6. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

I'm in with my Garagemaster which I aquired a few years back for the lofty sum of $50.00 USD, brand new and unplayed, in the soft bag(by far the best soft bag I've ever had) w/ the car stereo cord etc. I had to get one since I'm a long time VW guy(71' bus currently). The guy who sold me the guitar bought a new beetle and said he didn't play guitar. The thing rocks, the preamp feature is cool, pickups work, the on-board distortion is a nifty feature......although my buddy says he can take the existing circuit out and put a Tonebender in there for me.

The Garagemaster plays well enough that if it were my only electric it'd work fine, I'd just mod it with high quality parts, the neck plays great. Great design overall, FA did real good on this one IMO.

7. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Hey guys!
    I have an opportunity to buy a FA Sheena CE220. It looks pretty sweet, with its set neck, string through, 6-in line funky headstock, body/neck/headstock binding and matching pg. Do any of you have any experience with these, or know what they're value is? It's brand new. Thanks in advance!

Garage_Band1 likes this.
  8. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Well, it turns out this guitar I want, is a SE Sheena CE 240. It has a converse logo on the upper bout, and was some sort of gift for a race or marathon (just a guess). I only have $250.00 to spend on another guitar, and the owner of this one has an offer better than mine. This same guitar (minus Converse logo) is VERY difficult to find ANYWHERE on line. Guess I'll just need to be patient and stick with what I have for the time being. Just put some pure nickel .010s on my Garage Master two nights ago, in anticipation for tonight's gig. Still haven't decided on my backup guitar, I'm looking for something that sounds warm and clean, almost acoustic. Really wish I didn't have intonation issues with my H49 Jupiter! So, no one wants to share their Shenna stories?

9. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

In what way is the Jupiter out of tune? Does it have a floating bridge you can move around? I have a couple Rockets that intonate OK.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

As much as I like my First Act, $249 seems an awfully dear price to pay for one. Not that they're not worth it, but so many of them go for $150 or less - a lot less - right now. Maybe they'll be worth something someday, but their cheap-but-goodness is pretty much the attraction for now.

11. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

They must of stepped it up around 2004 or so because I started on a first act strat copy that was what they were putting out before all of the funky shaped ones im seeing on here. It was a total piece and I gave it away to a friend. Kinda wish I had kept it for my mothers sake because she has the camcorder footage of the Christmas morning when I got it and she probably would have really liked to have had the guitar too. But you don't think about your first guitar like that when you are 12 and just a got a shiny new fender.

12. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Well, I just lost that auction by $33.28, who knows what the winner's max bid was though. I can't find a CE240 ANYWHERE! Whoever has them must like them a lot. And yes, floating bridge on the H49, same as my Rocket, and that one intonates much better. Maybe it needs a new bridge or some fret work? I bought it for $100.00 and they're going for around 1K on eBay right now. Love the sound and playability, may have to have some work done to her. Thanks guys.

13. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

Apologies for the non-FA related discussion but this has me curious. Can you move the bridge so that the Es are intonated at the 12th fret, and if so:

-are the other strings in tune at the 12th fret?
    -is so, are they strings out of tune at other places?
    -if so, where?
    -have you checked the string height at the nut?
    -striaght bridge or compensated?

The only tuning problem i have with my Rockets is that they don't stay in tune very well. They intonate fine, but then the strings slip somewhere. I've been led to believe it's related to the screw-on whammy tailpiece.

14. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Maybe we should talk about the Harmonys in another chat, but to answer a few of your questions... The wooden floating bridge has a "sweep" to it, perpendicular to the strings. It has an angle to it, but I wouldn't consider it compensated. My main guitar luthier recommended using a wound G string, it didn't do much for my problem. I've had the Rocket since my teens, and as a teen, I put some new machine heads on her, with no concern about drilling new holes. Stays in tune just fine. The H49 has original tuners, with the exception of one. It's not a cosmetic match, AND it turns the wrong way! Who knows what hack did that, I imagine its been around in the last 50 years! Can't take any measurements of bridge nut or frets at the moment. I'm away from home at the moment. I'll get back to ya fo' sho'!

15. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Wow, kinda dead around here. I recently bought an ME501 (a cheaper version of the sweet Sheena!). It was an eBay purchase which after 10+ days still hasn't arrived! It supposedly has new machines, Liverpool Retrotron HBs, and a graphite nut. We'll see! Anyone here have experience with anything I just mentioned?

16. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

I have a pair of Retrotron NYIIs on a Harmony Rocket and a pair of Nashvilles on an old Gretsch Double Anniversary. I like 'em fine.

Nice AC quote, BTW. :)

17. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Got my "new" ME501 this weekend. It's everything I expected. I know it's too early too say I love it, but I've got a very good feeling. Of course there's the bridge issue, which I've read about in some reviews I read; the bridge mounting screws are not flush with the plate, causing the saddles to have travel restriction. Not good for intonation adjustments. Not crazy about the GFS Liverpool Retrotrons yet, I'll see what changing out those ultra thin strings to .010s does for the sound. The other thing is, I forgot about the gig-bag this thing came with. I've never been a big fan of them, but this one is incredible! It's made by RITTER, and I looked it up out of curiosity, ant they go for $198 at Amazon... ALMOST TWICE WHAT I PAID FOR THE WHOLE PACKAGE! Any advice on the bridge mod? Thanks in advance!

18. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

My hot rodded beater First Act:

19. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Got my eyes on a used ME445. The last thing I need is another guitar, but I'm ADDICTED! OK, I'll say it... My new toy hobby has become unmanageable and I am no longer in control. Higher power? HELP!?!? I think.

Powwerzombie likes this.
  20. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Help, I've been FARGED!!!

Picked this stuff up last night off my local CL...

[​IMG]

The seller was asking $100.00 for the lot. I gave him $80.00 and came home with a First Act guitar, a Peavey Backstage 110 amplifier, a Danelectro Daddy O overdrive pedal, a strap and a gig bag. Everything works! Did I do ok? I don't know anything about these guitars. I was just looking for a beater that I could use for practicing at work. The truss rod cover has ME537 on it, and there is no pickguard. There are plenty of stickers though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.