1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. tootall1121a

tootall1121a TDPRI Member

So long as it works

So long as it works and plays well, what does all that other crud really matter? Only matters at resale time, since too many people pay attention to it.

2. tootall1121a

tootall1121a TDPRI Member

Intersting conversion

Use masking tape where you drill too. that helps. Intersting take on a tele look.

3. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

I'll try that the next time I drill any large holes. I don't know if that would have helped with this guitar; its finish is so brittle that it was relicing itself on the way to the cash register. Removing the pickguard caused more chips to fall off. In another thread I suggested an ME302 as a body for modifications, but I hereby withdraw that suggestion. The ME302 paint may be too brittle, and the bridge-pickup area required routing to fit a Telecaster bridge plate.

Thanks. The neck had to change because of the silly-looking First Act headstock. :)

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

The model is the Delia. They made a bolt on version as well as their custom models. i had one of the bolt on models when they started clearing them out online a couple of years ago. Nice guitar once set up right.

5. FaithNicole

FaithNicole NEW MEMBER!

I hope this is ok to post/ask here. If not, point me the right way, thanks.

I have my daughter's first act electric guitar (10yrs old? I forget when/where we bought it but we got it new). I want to change the strings to a proper weight for it but I don't know the model and cannot find any identifiers on it. I was hoping someone here would have a recommendation based on some pictures.

Imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/WSYNu

Thanks for any help
    jd

6. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

The Imagur web page is text-only in the web browsers that I tried. I managed to find four of your guitar photos. I combined them into one large photo so people can see it without clicking "View Photo" or however Imagur works.

[​IMG]

Is it a full-size or a 3/4 size guitar? Me, I'd go for a set of 9s or 10s because that's my preference.

7. FaithNicole

FaithNicole NEW MEMBER!

Pawnshopper, thanks for the reply and for reposting the pics. I was going to insert them but wasn't sure of any 'new member' restrictions on images.

The guitar is 39" from tip of headstock to bottom of body. It is 24" from nut to center between the pickups. It has 21 frets. The Silvertone in the background is definitely shorter and, while the harmonics on it seem better, I prefer to only pull it out on occasision due to it's age - and not something I want to learn on with my long arms :)

I don't mean to be vague in any way, my brother is the musician in the family - I went electronics and computers and am only now starting to dabble in music (Call it a mid-life re-focusing, heh). I am actually working on the fiddle, but I want to get some basic guitar chords down to help when playing in groups.

8. RyanWHurtt

RyanWHurtt TDPRI Member

My mind has been blown. I was told many years ago that it was the player that made the guitar. You have proven this correct.

9. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Count me in! I must admit, I'm a sucker and a lover of cheap guitars. Cheap, as in price, not always quality. My first guitar was/is a Harmony Rocket! Last year was crazy, as I added at least six guitars to my collection! Keep in mind, I've spent 99% of my "gigging career" as a drummer. One of those six was a First Act Garage Master. Like most, I was only familiar with their Walmart stuff, but when I saw the GM on Craigslist, I KNEW I had to have one. Mine is the white pearloid version, my personal favorite of the four. The guy wanted $200 for it, but I eventually got it from him for $100, most of the case candy included! That was about six months ago, and I absolutely LOVE this guitar, and have a VERY strong urge to get another, like maybe the blue pearloid version. If I find one, in the box with everything, I may buy it and tuck it away for twenty years, and see if it was a good investment. But mine, although bought in mint condition, is a player! Sure, it has it's downfalls, but most of my guitars have been modded, in one way or another, and I'm not afraid. My main gripe with this guitar, which I believe is made with a poplar body, it that it is neck heavy. But, I got used to that by using a leather strap. As far as quality, I'll say this. My BRAND NEW Fender Modern Player Tele' Plus's five position pup switch ended up falling apart after only a few months of light playing! The FA held up better than that Fender, and I love my Fenders! I think there just may be another FA in my future, and I'm so happy there's an "owners club," filled with others who really appreciate a very underrated instrument. Time to jam!

10. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Ok, no response so far... I really hope this thread is still alive and kicking! I just found a FA Tele' style six string, two pickups in VERY decent condition. It will probably cost me more money in gas, than the guitar, but... get this... $20! Should I even bother trying to haggle? I think he just wants this thing GONE!

11. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

I sold my converted ME302, so I no longer am a member of this club. :( It had sustain and rang out like a bell, but I had to make room for other guitars. :lol:

Why haggle? $20 is already cheap. As you said, your gas may cost more than the guitar. Yesterday I saw an ME302 in a pawnshop for $65.

Three caveats:
    1. Is it an ME302 (Telecaster-style except for the tuners and headstock) or a single-cut that kinda-sorta looks like a Tele?
    2. The paint on the ME302 guitars must be like an eggshell; once it starts chipping, a large number of chips come off. If you want an easy-to-relic guitar, the ME302 is it. Whack it with a hammer in strategic locations and start sanding.
    3. The bridge pickup is in a nonstandard location (higher up the body), so the bridge and pickguard can not be changed without modification.
    I say go for it!

12. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

One quick question, is the ME302 a 3/4 scale guitar? The one I'm thinking of picking up has two single coils mounted to a black pick guard. I read somewhere that they are not any normal scale, such as you'd find on any Fender. I saw somewhere, someone put a tele bridge plate further back on the body, and turned it into a baritone or six string bass guitar... Same thing?

13. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

:eek:

14. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

The ME302 is a full-scale guitar, though I don't know if it's in the 24- or 25-inch range. I put a different neck on it, and the intonation worked perfectly.

The factory bridge is a Strat-style hardtail. I swapped in a string-through Tele-style bridge but had to move the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. This left a gap in the pickguard, so I covered the pickguard in fabric. A bit of a hassle, but it was fun to play.

15. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

I've got a question for you fellow First Act admirers. Have any of you experienced any pickup hum from any of their humbuckers? I've read a lot of reviews online about FA guitars, and most of them mention a terrible hum on most neck pups, to the point where some have replaced them! I only own one FA at the moment (white on white Garage Master), and maybe I just lucked out, but I have ZERO issues with pup noise or hum. Thoughts?

16. Quekay

Quekay TDPRI Member

Oh, and BTW, thanks for your input on their Tele' clone. The person selling the one I was looking to buy, has not responded to my email yet. I appreciate all your input, thanks.

17. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

18. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a First Act at a Salvation Army recently. Sorry but $10 was still too much.

19. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Sorry; I have no experience with any First Act guitars beyond the ME302. The ME302 had no hum or noise from either single-coil. Only bright and happy sounds. :D

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

I like what you guys are doing with what most would call firewood. Ive always had a soft spot for rejects whether its puppies or kids or guitars. Most just need a helping hand.
    rock steady

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.