1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Here you go. This neck came off the Overtone model. Same width as Squier and mostly industry standard. Big frets on this particular neck.

I was surprised to find this neck, which has been in storage off the guitar, now has separation of the fret board from the neck face. Looks like the fret board may have shrunk in width a bit, note the visible edge of the maple neck.

IMG_20201004_120937399_HDR.jpg IMG_20201004_120953669.jpg IMG_20201004_120913401.jpg

3. Scott4721

Scott4721 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks! Good luck on your build. That black burst look sounds awesome!

Michael A. likes this.
  4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So ... the zebra ME537 has been re-homed with a student. He wanted the original bridge and pickup, so they went along as well and he surprised me by returning the Wilkinson bridge and Mean 90.

I found this ME431 at Goodwill for $20 -
    upload_2020-10-10_16-4-2.jpeg

and am thinking about remaking it along the lines of a Harmony/Teisco/Kay. Maybe some cupcake knobs, a vintage Harmony bridge and tailpiece (or a trem), a new paint job (turquoise, blue or red), and am debating the merits of a pickguard.

The Angry Possum and FenderGyrl like this.
  5. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

It has some detail work on the tuners and serial# plate. Interesting.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  6. charlie boyd

charlie boyd TDPRI Member

FenderGyrl likes this.
  7. FenderGyrl

Thanx.

I really like this body style. Both of mine have Medium Frets on them. I leveled the frets and rounded the fretboard edges.

Both have shielding and updated wiring. I recently replaced the PUPS with a Guitar Madness Alnico 2, and a Guitar Madness Alnico 5.

I did a final set up on both of them after they sat for a few weeks to settle in. I decided to rework the original nuts as they seem to be cut with decent spacing.

Both of these play and sound great. I have a few others that I will break down and take the best body and neck to make another one for the wall.

I'm going to buy a Table Router so I can make my own pickguards more easily. Doing them by hand is too time consuming.

8. charlie boyd

I imagine I'll have some fret work to do as well. Did you add the shielding or was it stock? I just got on the Guitar Madness ebay page . . . WOW. So much stuff. Are you going to replace the truss rod cover or leave it off? I have a late 70s Mighty Mite humbucker to try out if I don't like the stock PU.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  9. FenderGyrl

I did the shielding.

I do replace the Truss Rod Covers. Just waiting for the necks to settle in before I put them on.

Guitar Madness... Great Bang for the Buck.
    Perfect for cheap guitars. Lots of variety.
    Have fun...swap them out.
    Settle on what works for the Guitar.
    I like their Alnicos.
    Their P94s are a blast. Put GFS 300 Pots in with them.

I have a 1984 Set in a First Act. Ceramics...a Blast.

The 25 Caliber Ceramics are a trip, as are the Dirty Finger Knock Offs they sell. I put some of their Mini Humbuckers in a Firefly DC. I buy their stuff when it's on sale too. Just set them aside for future projects. They are perfect for modding low cost guitars.
    FG

10. FenderGyrl

20200923_121747.jpg 20200923_121740.jpg 20200923_121731.jpg 20200923_121718.jpg

11. charlie boyd

I like the shielding. Nice job.

My guitar came yesterday. It is a little dinged up. More than I expected. I hooked it up to an amp and even though it only had four strings, I liked the pickup. I still believe I will replace the nut. I tried the old Mighty Mite pick up but it must be a neck pickup because it was too small for the bridge. Based on your feedback, I purchased a Guitar Madness Hot Alnico 5 Black Humbucker today. It was the highest resistance Alnico 5 and it was also the lowest priced Alnico 5 humbucker. I'm anxious to hear it. I'm going to leave the electronics alone for now. My pickguard guy hasn't emailed me back so I may end up spray painting the pickguard and truss rod cover. I looked for a truss rod cover yesterday on eBay but couldn't come up with one near the specs needed.

Saddles - I weighed the saddles and they are a little lighter than I would prefer. I can live with them if need be. They also came in at 10.1 mm which seems small to me. I am used to 10.5 and 10.8 mm saddles. I thought about trying a set of 10.5 mm stainless saddles but I couldn't find any in chrome. I may just leave them alone. What are the black saddles you used and do you remember the size of them? Are they heavier than the stock saddles? They look nicer.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  12. FenderGyrl

The STRATosphere.
    Roller Saddles.
    Light...but work great with the First Act severe string break angle under the saddles. Stay In Tune.

Cut a .015 thick shim for the neck...just in front of the 2 screws where the neck meets the body. Perfect angle. The set screws will sit below the saddle tops and won't dig into your picking hand.
    FG

Plug the existing truss rod cover screw holes. Toothpicks and Elmers wood glue. Put any Epiphone Bell T-Rod Cover on.
    FG

djh22 and The Angry Possum like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Lovely collection phooey to luxury liners of guitar effrontery, you really do understand, and I dig it!
    A very bold statement in the school of playable READY MADES.
    Hurrah said Dick!
    Hurray yelled Jane!
    ruff, ruff, ruff, barked Spot in approval and gleeful abandon.
    killer chi chi.jpg

14. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Bought my first ever FA guitar yesterday ME302, it's on the way. I'm wondering if I don't care for the neck, I can possibly swap it out with a Squier, Allparts, Mighty Mite, or WD , Tele style neck, does anyone know if that's possible? Especially because it would now be 6 in line instead of 3x3.

20201012_203020.jpg 20201012_203036.jpg 20201012_202858.jpg

15. charlie boyd

Here is where I landed:

Pickup – Guitar Madness Hot Alnico 5 Black Humbucker. Lots of resistance. Great price and free shipping. I found some forward looking pickup covers in chrome to experiment with also.

Saddles – I gave myself two options. Roller saddles – chrome. I’m not sure I am going to like brass roller. I also found a set of jaguar/jazzmaster saddles at a decent price. I think these will be “the ones”.

Pickguard and truss rod cover – Still no word from my pickguard guy. I’m going to reach out to him one more time. If I don’t get a response, I’m off to the hardware store for a can of white paint. My search for the design I want has been fruitless. At this point, I think I can craft the shape I want out of a big old fat triangular bass guitar pick and paint it white also.

Knobs – I really like the chrome knobs you have but I don’t want to swipe all of your great ideas. I’m going to search out the net. I’m not ruling out white, black and chrome, or chrome knobs. I just need to find my look.

16. FenderGyrl

Started a thread about this one in the Other Guitars Forum.
    FG 20201014_173432.jpg

djh22 and Michael A. like this.
  17. Vinny29

Vinny29 TDPRI Member

Back to playing after a long hiatus. I have some arthritis in by left hand, especially the middle finger. Picked up a Squier SE with a chunky neck, tolerate that really well. Also picked up a Squier NC, really nice wide flat neck (12" radius) but thinner front to back than the SE. The NC ends up hurting by hand after playing it for a few days in a row. Have read all 38 pages of this site, some really good stuff, I want to buy a humbucker First Act, possibly a VW, ME501, or whatever I can find. My question is which one's have a chunky neck? Also, are there any closer to Fender 9.5 inch radius versus the flatter radius?

18. FenderGyrl

From the Other Guitars Forum:
    20201024_133143.jpg 20201024_154145.jpg

Michael A. likes this.
  19. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That one is known as the John Travolta model! It's a Saturday Night Fever reference.

[​IMG]

SuprHtr and FenderGyrl like this.
  20. Marktko

Marktko TDPRI Member

Hello to every member of the First Act Club! I just joined and I have become a proud owner of some First Act Guitars I would for you all to check out. I recently scored a Borg ME535 and a First Act Me701. It’s to my understanding that these models are rather rare. I will post some pictures soon and feedback would be greatly appreciated as far as your all’s knowledge and wisdom.

FenderGyrl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.