1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

crap....I worked on the Vdub guitar all day. Cleaned it, dressed the frets, oiled the board,ect. ect. I got the new strings on and as I was intonating it, it kept going flat.....you guessed it- The scarf joint seperated about a 1/16". I dumped some thick CA glue into the chasm, and let the string tension off and clamped it.

UPS really did a number on this one.

BTW- the neck PU said "alnico 50" on it when I pulled the pickguard off to let the sawdust out.

2. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I tore one apart to paint black awhile back, Slash copy, and was really surprised how rough cut the cavities were. Best described as chewed out by rats. I'd assume it was due to demand to keep up with VW car sales so QC wasn't much of an issue. In the end it cleaned up real nice but I've done other lesser cheaper models that were a lot easier to get cleaned up.

20191124_133357 (1).jpg 20191124_133512_Burst01 (1).jpg

FenderGyrl likes this.
  3. Powwerzombie

Question for the V dub guitars- The one switch is the preamp. The one closer to the volume is the distortion (ho lee cow, it's got some metal-ly stuff going on there).

What is the third switch for? Treble cut? Bass/mid boost?

4. Powwerzombie

I got her glued up last night, and it's faaaantastic.
    I put on some Ernie Ball .10's, and it plays awesome, intonated fine, 2.3mm at the 12th fret. Most/all of mine are set at 2.5mm, except me Strat, which is so close, I am afraid to measure or mess with it. It's almost too low. (no buzz, but I can't feel the strings,) lol.

When my new switch comes in, I'll replace that.

Now to spend some time with Hannah Montana. She's a Washburn, so I won't go into that epic adventure here.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    FenderGyrl likes this.
  5. Powwerzombie

I lied.....HM is a *****, I am going to have her as my slide guitar. The neck is so F'ed that I am not spending another minute with it.....it's one step above firewood. Shame on Washburn for putting out such a turd.
    :cry::lol:

6. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Well yea! Hanna Montana? What the hell did you think you were going to end up with! Even the FA Discovery models were better and you see what kind of reputation those turds earned them.

7. Powwerzombie

lol, I lied again. After letting it go for the night, I went back out there this morning and finished her off. Plays nice and sounds great. It was a challenge, and if I planned on reselling, I wouldn't have been happy.

I got it for the novelty, not knowing that Washburn would put something soooo bad out.

It really took all my "skills" to make it workable, but I did. I have worked on a lot of cheap guitars, and really messed up things from china (bicycle engine kits) and always got them working to more than acceptable levels.

Never again though, I'll stick with FA's and other guitar shaped things in the future.....'til I lie again, haha.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked up an ME537 from the local thrift with a nearly new Levy's gig bag for $20. It's a little rough but certainly fixable. I'll clean it up, pull the tone pot and replace the pickup with a Mean-90. Maybe put on a set of 11s and use it for slide.

Here's the question - The bridge is missing a saddle. Would you recommend just buying a set of replacement saddles or would you swap the bridge (I've a Wilkinson tele half bridge with brass saddles in my parts collection)?

9. Powwerzombie

Swap it if the spacing is right. Use what you have.

10. Powwerzombie

All the ones I've had so far, the neck needs to be shimmed to get enough break angle over the saddles, then the hex screws are almost too short.

Also- try that PU out before you swap anything, they are pretty badass with a bite unlike a lot of humbuckets.

11. Powwerzombie

BUMP
    Anyone?

12. Powwerzombie

The 222 and the ME4016 went to good homes today....I'm just a rehab/foster dad. I shimmed the necks to overcome the FA bridge thing, gave them good set ups and new strings and sent them on their way. I am gonna miss the 222 especially.

I'm still in the club though. Never gonna get rid of the V dub!

13. djh22

upload_2020-6-30_16-50-40.jpeg

14. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I've been thinking of using that bridge in mine. Would love to hear how it works out. I'm running the stock pickup. Nice find!

15. djh22

Update on the ME537 - I spent $5 for a single bridge saddle, just in case, and tried the original pickup, which had some issues. I removed the tone pot but reused the volume. I dropped in the Mean 90, installed the Wilkinson bridge, and strung it with some generic 11s. It was easy to tune and intonate.

I'm pretty happy with the results.
    IMG_20200718_163915740.jpg

IMG_20200718_163925806.jpg

By the way, the finish is a wrap which I was originally going to remove, but it is starting to grow on me.

FenderGyrl and LongDistanceSoup like this.
  16. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Joined the club today! Found this puppy at a salvage store for $65.
    Can't wait to apply some TLC and see what she does.
    How do you determine the year on these things?

Attached Files:

17. Scott4721

Scott4721 NEW MEMBER!

'lo all. Joined up today after looking through the posts. I got this model from Goodwill for $10, plus another $40 to ship it from CA. I stripped it down to the bare wood using a heat gun. Honestly, I have never seen so much wood filler used on a guitar body! After I was done, I decided not to sand back the scorch marks and go with an old whiskey barrel look. Replaced just about everything. It's now my go to practice guitar. Love it. Only complaint is that it doesn't seem to have a truss rod (or it's rammed so far down that I can't get to it with an allen wrench). The neck took a slight bow upwards. Nothing too serious, but I may want to replace the neck at some point. Do any of you know where I can find the neck pocket dimensions without disassembling it again?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

djh22 and Michael A. like this.
  18. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

It definitely has a truss rod. It will take a 4mm allen wrench. One of my favorite things about FAs is the neck. They are sort of a medium "C" shape like modern Fenders but have a very flat finger board. Usually 14"-16" radius. That's a rare combo on a cheap guitar. I've never swapped a neck on one so I can't be sure but I suspect that a Telecaster neck might fit. They are 25.5" scale.

19. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Yet to see one without a truss rod however have seen one missing its nut and I guarantee this guitar had never been apart before judging by the dirt and gunk on it. Meaning it was left off and overlooked at the factory. So much for QC right?. I'd check there first. Other than that I see some folks slapping Fender necks on them although I prefer the FA necks a lot more. Then the fact you could probably buy a whole FA for the price of a replacement neck. And yup there's some models that have a god awful thick poly finish with that nasty sealer while others have barely any paint at all on them. My guess would be a change in manufacturing facilities or cost cutting.

20. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That guitar looks awesome, you may have convinced me to do my first heat gun stripping job. I've got a few FAs with no necks in them now, so I'll get you a neck pocket dimension, but it will be a different type of body. I'm pretty sure I tried a Squier in one and it was fine.

Here's my latest FA. This is my 5th Overtone, trying to get one with the black burst light enough to be able to see the grain clearly. Only $20 locally on FB Marketplace.

Overtone820-2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    FenderGyrl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.