1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

Pickups are great. I don't get the bitching about the pots. Most of mine have Alpha pots. Granted they are mini pots but I have a lot less trouble with FAs wiring than I do with my Ibanez guitars.

LongDistanceSoup likes this.
  2. LongDistanceSoup

LongDistanceSoup TDPRI Member

Yeah, that's a good point. They are by no means amazing pots, and tend to not have a strong gradient, but they're certainly not the worst pots I've dealt with (*cough* ibanezisbad)

3. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

I'm back in the club. I picked up this First Act ME537 for $46 shipped from shopgoodwill, and today I got the upgrades done. It's quite the little rock machine now.

New stuff: Humbucker-size P-90 with Alnico 5 magnet (eBay, $20), full-size CTS 500k Ohm volume and no-load tone pots. Orange Drop cap. Chrome heavy-knurl Tele knobs. Just needs a black pickup ring, which I thought I had - but I don't - so I filed out the stock ring to make the pickup fit. May as well get the projects done if you can't go anywhere, right?

IMG_20200329_172921_671.jpg

4. ztrow

ztrow NEW MEMBER!

Here's a lil FA makeover I did. Stoked on how it turned out. Diggin this thread!

Attached Files:

djh22, RiverDog and dqami like this.
  5. LongDistanceSoup

What did you use to strip the finish? I have had very mixed results.

6. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

That looks great! Did you change out anything other than the pickup? I'm considering bridge saddles and tuners for mine but so far it plays pretty decent as-is.

Also, what's the headstock logo? Looks like you did something there but it's hard to make out.

7. ztrow

ztrow NEW MEMBER!

So far Ive only swapped the pickup and knobs. I used an old BNC connecter to plug the hole for the tone knob. I work in the broadcast engineering field and got this guitar as a cheap travel guitar for work trips and did most of the work on it at my company shop on lunch breaks. I ended up just putting a company logo sticker as the headstock emblem.

right now it plays decently. I do plan on upgrading the tuners and bridge eventually, but right now my goal for this project was to spend as little as possible. All together im only $70 into it and about 4-5 hours of labor. Pretty content so far.

RiverDog likes this.
  8. LongDistanceSoup

Well, I am using a First Act neck and humbucker to build a pine guitar for a friend. In The adventurous design style of FA, I have a vaguely Jaguar shaped body, in a bright plum color. Of course, it will have gold hardware (which I usually don't prefer), because his wife is helping to pick the aesthetic. The neck pickup will be a cream p90 that I've had lying around for a while.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  9. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

NGD: First Act Delia CE540

Okay now I'm really in the club. I found this on Reverb and couldn't resist. It's awesome! You don't see too many Delias for sale unless they're custom shop.

g42elrvqgmgln7oiwolq.jpg ggfpmru62ad9cwnnwgar.jpg komstift83vo0bwjuvhe.jpg

The Angry Possum and djh22 like this.
  10. LongDistanceSoup

I am so jealous. I have been looking for one for a while, but I am stubborn and I want to pay what people THINK a junky First Act is worth, not what it is actually worth.

RiverDog likes this.
  11. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Little ME4 series Breaker I'm goofing around with

20191225_152923 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

12. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Goodwill finds .
    20200614_132019.jpg 20200614_132031.jpg 20200614_132039.jpg

djh22 likes this.
  13. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

I am new here....gonna take me awhile to read this thread.
    I have a couple of guitars....18 or so.
    I have lately been acquiring FA's for 20-30 dollars. I have a 222 Adam Levine (white pick guard) $30, had to do a basic set up, an ME4016 Phoenix guitar, $20- the guy wanted 30,but I fixed the jack on his Epi, and he said "take it", but I gave him a 20 anyhow.... and a V dub if the guy ever ships it. (ebay, blarg.)

O.k., the VW cost me 125 bucks, new in the box with all the goodies.

I have been working on and playing guitars for 35 years. I always listened to the blah blah about "junk guitars". Yeah....these FA's are not GREAT, but damned good, and for 20 or 30 bucks...Uh they ARE great.
    After I set up the 222 and plugged it in, I almost swallowed my tongue when I heard it. I had to plug in my Epi SG VE to compare, and the 222 sounded better.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  14. Powwerzombie

I have a question for you FA-er's. What is the body wood? I worked over my ME4016 today, and it looks like maple. It's got a light "sour" smell to it, and has the color of maple.....basswood? Alder? It's not poplar.

15. Powwerzombie

FenderGyrl-
    Gumby Headstock, and the Can Opener Headstock, lol.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  16. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

It varies with no rhyme or reason. If its super light its Linden. AKA Chinese Basswood and if heavy some type of Chinese Alder.

17. Powwerzombie

It's a little weighty. I got it setup and it plays nicely, although the action had to be set a bit high (3mm) on the A and low E. 2.5mm on the rest. Still not bad for a 20 dollar guitar.

Thanks!

18. Powwerzombie

Haven't even checked for fit....anyone replaced the stock PU with a P90 in one of these?

19. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

The stock humpbacks are shaped different and have rounded shoulders compared to a regular HB sized pickup. In a few cases I've had to route out the corners and with others they fit in without mods. In other words a crap shoot. Here's a PW580 I did awhile back with a NOS FACS Kent Armstrong P90. You can see the difference. The original was just a standard single coil in a P90 cover.

20200615_164358.jpg 20200615_164303.jpg 20200615_164314.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Powwerzombie likes this.
  20. Powwerzombie

I got my V Dub guitar yesterday.

It came with 6 picks, the seatbelt, and nice padded gig bag, which I will likely put on ebay, as I don't intend on selling this one ever. If I get 35 bucks for all of it, it will have paid for half of the purchase price.

UPS crunched it (as usual) and the toggle switch is now broken off.
    It arrived FILTHY, with measurable finger crud on the fretboard. Once cleaned, it was dry as a bone. Olde English lemon oil to the rescue there.
    The pre-amp and overdrive work, and the 4 strings were so rusty, I may need a tetanus shot.
    However, although the white paint has oxidized, there is not one chip in it. (I tried several cleaners, none bleached it, it's almost a creme color.) The knobs don't twirl around like a lot of them. The chrome bits are good. The pickguard has moderate scratching.

The neck is not like my other FA's- it's like a baseball bat. That doesn't bother me, I've got a lot of guitars, and they are all different.

I have strings coming today, and I will complete the set up.

I sold one of my cheap chinese strat shaped things, to make room for more FA's....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.