1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

I remembered why I hadn't pursued this approach before. The radius on a First Act is usually 15" Tune-O-Matics are 12" without a way to change that. Unless there are 15" radius TOMs out there somewhere.

2. Lockheed_Tvr

What lipstick and filtertrons did you use in those? Are you happy with them?

3. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Here's a Lola LE that I banged up a few years ago and sent to KB for repair and another CE240 that I told him to go nuts on. Gotta watch that guy cause sometimes ya never know what's coming back. But whatever it is it will be really cool.

20170612_164105.jpg IMG_20181227_171822.jpg

Chuckster and LongDistanceSoup like this.
  4. LongDistanceSoup

LongDistanceSoup TDPRI Member

I love that matte Sheena. And I am not usually a fan of black guitars (a few too many junky cheap strats in my life...)

5. Lockheed_Tvr

I love the matte black he has been doing. That looks phenomenal!

6. marklk

marklk TDPRI Member

I may not be the best person to ask because I generally like something about most pickups.

The lipstick is from GFS. It was my first attempt at wiring to a switch. I can't remember what I was even going for. Humbucker, single coil, series/parallel? I got the humbucker and coil split to work but I couldn't get the third option so I put it in humbucker and buried the switch. I never really expected it to sound like my Silvertone and it doesn't. For a humbucker it does have a little milder sound and a little chime to it.

The filtertron is this. https://www.thompsonguitarandthrift...ron-style-humbucker-pickup-with-mounting-ring
    I don't have any experience with a real filtertron but by the specs mine is probably just a repackaged humbucker. I'm okay with that especially for the price and quality of it. I feel like it gets pretty heavy without getting too dark. Also sounds good split.

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
  7. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Several months ago I realized that I was a tele guy, so Mr. Polsfuss and I parted ways. Then I started to miss humbuckers, and thought that maybe the problem was the dual volume & tone knobs, so I bought a PRS SE Singlecut from Guitar Center which I absolutely did not bond with and returned inside of 24 hours.

Content to live out my days as a tele guy, I stumbled across this -

IMG_20200305_151043567.jpg

a 2006 Midnight Blue Lola CE140 - and it is an absolutely terrific guitar. Aside from being beautifully constructed and finished, it "just fits." I've long been a fan of modding and upgrading the mass-market First Acts, but they were always just items that I acquired to flip. This SFA Edition Lola is a keeper.

I can't guarantee that it will remain stock, but I can say with complete certainty that this covers all the bases for me that my telecasters do not. Thanks to Kelly Butler and his team for the design and to this group for highlighting the fact that First Act produced some amazing instruments!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Chuckster likes this.
  8. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Couldn't agree more as to the design and function of the Lola. Although had a different experience with my CE. Scored it on an online auction pretty cheap but photos didn't really show its true condition. Apparently the poor girl had a factory refinish that was yellowing and coming off in sheets. Damndest thing I ever seen. Actually painted over the original logo and replaced with another. In any case I just decided to go nuts on it. Candy blue metallic paint and a set of FACS Sheena Kent Armstrong's with split coil at the bridge. Basically wired up the same as the Lola LE. Kelly did the paint and mods on the white one and the red is bone stock.

20180311_084327 (1).jpg 20191126_163322.jpg

FenderGyrl and Chuckster like this.
  9. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

Found out my custom shop Lola was originally made for Sal Bossio (formerly of Envy on the Coast)-so thats a cool piece of trivia!

10. JRicoC

JRicoC Tele-Meister

I got one of those from First Act during the blowout, but sold it a couple of years later to a Music Go Round. A few months without it and I realized the error of my ways, and tracked down another from Reverb or eBay.

I'm hanging on to this one ...

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

So in 2006 my mom bought a VW Beetle and had the guitar shipped to me. I played it for about 30 minutes, decided it badly needed a setup, put it in the case, and it has literally sat in the closet for the last 14 years.

Yesterday on a whim, I dug it out, leveled the frets, recut the nut, beveled the fret ends, rolled the fingerboard edges, strung it up, set it up, and...

Bingo! It is a really nice player! Haven't put it down yet! After the work I put into it, I can seriously say that it is on par with some pro level instruments. Plus, since it has been sitting in its case in the closet all this time, it is in 100% mint condition.

Light weight, and very loud and resonant acoustically. Really pretty great tone plugged in too.

The car is long gone, but this guitar will be with me for a long time now. Still have the case, and the seatbelt strap too.

IMG_2725.JPG IMG_2739.JPG IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2751.JPG

Chuckster, Lockheed_Tvr and marklk like this.
  12. Lockheed_Tvr

It's cool that you got all the accessories. I also found one in the box with all the stuff. The gig bag is actually quite nice. Did you get the 1/4" to 1/8" cable? I use mine to play through my clock radio!

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I got everything, because I got it brand new in the box in 2006. Not sure where the cable is, but you can get one of those anywhere.

14. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Ah but did you get the little chrome stick on FA badge? From what I understand not all came with one. I found this one cheap and bought it just for the badge. The guitar I turned into a Slash reproduction. 20191122_163313.jpg 20191201_101515.jpg

15. Lockheed_Tvr

I think it did. I'll have to dig the bag out and check.

16. LongDistanceSoup

Has anyone else run into the problem where are they buy beat up First Act guitars, intending to use them as parts, but then realize that just a little work would bring them back to life?
    So, instead of a box full of spare parts, I have a basement full of guitars.

RiverDog, marklk and Lockheed_Tvr like this.
  17. Lockheed_Tvr

Yep. I keep thinking I'm going mod them, too, but I usually just set them up and play them as is.

18. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

I'm pretty good at getting them finished. Problem I have is the boxes of stock pickups, bridges and tuners. Hate to throw them away and no one wants them. 20190519_103034 (1).jpg

19. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

Bondo man- find someone on craigslist etc that makes cigar box guitars-may be able to unload them there-may just trade but still........ Also think about places that do donations for schools etc- they may like a box of parts, and the cost of shipping would be low-make a difference if you can!

20. LongDistanceSoup

Yeah, so many people write off the electronics just because the pots are usually low-quality. But the pickups are surprisingly good. Definitely better than a lot of the other cheap humbucker guitars I have come across.

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.