FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NoGoodAtLife

NoGoodAtLife TDPRI Member

67A3E3E9-AD6F-439E-9FD0-66BD7C2CC446.png 2F2F794B-1CBB-4D04-98D3-C1C9A436DEFF.jpeg A0D6BB9B-1E80-4A1A-B8C2-BE7D3250EEE2.jpeg 33CC57E1-6348-4231-BA72-B8279F8DD05E.jpeg 092A4D04-8AAF-4D1A-94F9-DA3EE1B6E7A8.jpeg 1017FE83-7D6A-4DAB-9809-0E341F6F733F.jpeg
    I just bought this CG-9170000 tonight and I love it, I honestly think it’s one of the best sounding guitars I’ve ever played if not the best, it’s certainly the best I’ve owned. I can’t find any information about it at all, no similar models, no mention or elusions to it, nothing except your comment. It has Grover tuners, mop binding, fancy wood (I’m sure someone here can tell me what it is) and it sounds amazing.

Lockheed_Tvr and Twangrrrr like this.
  2. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

definitely not from Walmart! HNGD!!!

3. NoGoodAtLife

NoGoodAtLife TDPRI Member

Edit: The back, sides and fretboard are Rosewood, the top is solid Sitka Spruce. The fretboard inlays look to be plastic or “pearloid” but that doesn’t fit with the quality of materials for the rest of the guitar so I’m still uncertain. That’s all I’ve been able to figure out. I was really hoping to have more answers (any) from this forum...

Twangrrrr likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a good model. I traded one I bought used for an electric years ago. It played well after a good setup.

First Act got a bad rap after selling volume through the big box stores, but much of their stuff was pretty good or could be great after a fret level and some adjustments.

5. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

I hadn't seen this one before. ME437. I really like the matte finish. Just got it all set up. It's a ripper![​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
  7. Lockheed_Tvr

8. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't know, I only accidentally came across the FB listing in Musical Instruments.

9. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Just scored a custom shop first act lola. Its pretty rough finish wise- so going to make a buckethead tribute with it!

pickaguitar and Lockheed_Tvr like this.
  10. LongDistanceSoup

LongDistanceSoup TDPRI Member

Well, you know we need pictures

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
  11. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

here you go- IMG_20200222_151427.jpg

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
  12. Griffinbacker

Griffinbacker TDPRI Member

Hey all, new member here. I've been a first act collector for a few years, as well as heavily modifying them expanding my "luthier" knowledge (if you can call it that). I'll be sending photos at some point of the guitars but I have a question: Has anyone actually ever come across a ME720? I've got the AL4042 and the ME478 style guitars, and I really love that body shape. From what I can tell, the 720 is the highest end model, and the only mentions of it are the '06 catalogue and the mentions from lockheed and Mr. Butler. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Lockheed_Tvr likes this.
  13. Lockheed_Tvr

I would also very much like to know this. At this point, I'm thinking of asking Kelly Butler to build one for me.

14. Griffinbacker

Hahaha, I was just thinking the same thing! Although there is the sister model (the ME501 shape-that you own correct?) I have only seen the catalogue photo of the double cut shape.

15. Lockheed_Tvr

Which one? There is the ME601 which is sort of a "melted" 501. That one is in this thread somewhere.

16. Lockheed_Tvr

I'm glad you reminded me to look into this more. I asked over on the three relatively active FA Facebook groups. I know that Mr. Butler checks in occasionally over there (I think maybe another former FA employee does, as well.) Maybe someone there will know.

17. Griffinbacker

Oh I misspoke, I meant the ME562 (it's on the first page of the forum) which I thought looked very similar in terms of the color, pickups, rings, etc.

18. Griffinbacker

Please keep me informed if you hear any news about a ME720, or if Kelly Butler is doing anymore one off projects with those body styles! (I know he made some a few years back, but I assume they're all snatched up).

19. Lockheed_Tvr

Oh, yeah. Very much a 501 without binding and with single coils. The matching headstock is cool.

20. Lockheed_Tvr

I think he will build on a one-off basis. I know he does customs based off of AL4042's (the Adam Levine model), which is the same body as the 720. I PM'ed him on here about pickguards and he got back to me. Or try one of those facebook groups. He was very easy to work with and the pickguards he cut were perfect. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him if you are seriously interested. He's pretty easy to find on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/k.butlerguitars/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.