1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

seems to be 2 strings short. Is that a tenor guitar?

what does something like that run? i need to get an electric bass, I've only got an acoustic bass and its a bit of a pain, so I don't play it much and it shows when I do...

2. magicfingers99

i've got 2 of these, bought the 1st one to cut up into a travel guitar, but i liked the way it sounded.
    so i bought another one, but i liked the way it sounded.

upload_2018-8-2_13-31-22.jpeg

ME1980
    goofy headstock though, always tuning the wrong string, its a 4+2 arrangement.

so I bought this one - ME263 very small gitar.. Just like that funky humbucker they use...

upload_2018-8-2_13-37-33.jpeg

jvin248 likes this.
  3. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here's a listing for a First Act electric bass: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/55776877

Autolycus likes this.
  4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

The Me263 looks like a shrunken 586 but without a tone knob which also acts as a volume control as well. With the stock HB and controls I can get some nice grit and chime that I don't get with my other guitars. Simple, cheap and fun!

magicfingers99 likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

its a solid body, all the tone comes from the pickup...
    ask Les Paul how he knows....
    upload_2018-8-2_17-40-10.png

jvin248 likes this.
  6. magicfingers99

2 things,.

1. watchout for Pandas hanging around

2. if it doesn't work out as a guitar, it will make a great cutting board.

seriously bambo has been used for reinforcing concrete. it's got some tough fibers.

7. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

That is just a protective film that peels right off.

At least on mine it did.

8. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

At least from the seller's description and photo, it is the actual pearloid that is lifting. I initially had the same thought as you, but after enlarging the pic, it looks like there would be no pearloid left if you peeled it off.

It should look like it does in john Mayer's VW ad:

horax likes this.
  9. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Hey Michael, thank you for the info. Interested to find if mine has any aesthetically pleasing grain pattern before I decide whether to paint it. May even make a new neck - Fender style and scale, as I’ve got some hog blanks ready to go.

10. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

20180802_041214.jpg
    20180802_041408.jpg
    Bottom is just water only.

Michael A., oyobass and Autolycus like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Every guitar is different just like snowflakes. That is the excitement and fun of removing that finish. Start with a heat gun and putty knife to scrape off most of the finish and then use the belt sander -- you'll save about three belts that way as the finish partially melts and gums the belts otherwise. Just be careful not to burn the wood if you don't want the burned-wood-look. Wood is most likely Paulownia.

One method that works well is remove the finish only on the top leaving the sides and back in original black.Then stain/finish the top. All the fun project benefits with 1/10th the work.

If the guitar is going to be a frequent player, I'd upgrade the pots caps switches to the usual boutique guitar parts of bourns/cts/crl/switchcraft for about $30 total. As long as you practice 'tuning up' your guitar you won't need to be tempted into replacement tuners. But there are those ebay 'grover' for $20/set.

12. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Yikes ! He sprayed in a closet or what ?

Darwinism ...

13. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

He was a furniture mover for a large corporation, as was I. He was just a little too close to his work...

He was out on a large open office floor.

14. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

IMG_20180804_131330.jpg Ok, here's a FARMD post... First Act is A Real Mountain Dulcimer: IMG_20180804_131305.jpg View attachment 534635
    My wife just picked it up for me at an estate sale, along with a stack of books, as an early birthday present.
    The one thing missing is the "noter," which is basically just a stick used for fretting notes on the double-coursed melody strings. I can use a screwdriver handle for now...

I think I'll go sit in the shade outside and disturb the neighborhood!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    TreblaNitram likes this.
  15. Autolycus

Autolycus TDPRI Member

First Act only mass produced two bases that I know of: this one and the other (ME 105) with a more fender-esque headstock. This one (with the Delgado shaped body) is considerably more rare. I’ve only ever seen a handful come up for sale online.

I paid $100 for this one through Guitar Center plus about $30 in shipping. I feel this is a fair price for the quality of the instrument but I’m accustomed to getting a much better deal for First Acts. However this one is in quite good shape and plays well. It’s also very unique and I had a severe case of GAS for this bass.

If you’re looking for a reasonably priced electric bass you can also look at Peavey. I picked up a Peavey Milestone for $80 Canadian at my local music store and it performs just fine. I’ve gigged with it without issue.

The cheaper Ibanez basses will get you by as well.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  16. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

I don't know the model number of this one I just scored locally from OfferUp for $20. Good fat neck, frets are good, decent tuners and the body should be usable after I strip the paint. I don't like the modern small-radius roundover body edges, but have previously enlarged them on my router table to something more traditional and satisfactory.

For such a low price of admission, I don't see why anyone messing with guitars and particularly if wanting to learn modding wouldn't grab one of these as a great starting point. But I guess everyone on this thread already knows that!

I just learned this is a ME310. Apparently there were 2 versions of this model, since this one from an old Walmart ad is a different shape body near the rear strap pin.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Act-Electric-Guitar-Pack/5412172

IMG_20180905_100525987.jpg IMG_20180905_101431348.jpg IMG_20180905_101414201.jpg IMG_20180905_101311056.jpg IMG_20180905_101353919.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    TreblaNitram likes this.
  17. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic looking guitar body! Now I need to add one of these to my FA collection. I had avoided this body style, thinking it was a bit awkward, until seeing yours. In reading your earlier post, it sounds you may have done the roundover of the edges with just a sander. Is that correct? No mention using a router for the roundover. It almost looks like a constant radius edge, with no flat area between roundovers. If that also what you did? More details on your technique would be welcomed! Thanks.

18. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Yeah Man, just did it with a mouse and 50 and 80 grit paper. It was a blast, kinda like molding clay. Its amazing how easy it is to roll the edges and also put in forearm and belly cuts.
    The wood on this one was a real surprise, and i still dont know what kind it is. Heavy as hell, and it has beautiful figure. Irridesent red, like neon in the light. Seems to be getting more red by the week with the tru oil finish.
    When i tap on it it tinks like tapping a brick. Gonna be interesting to see how it sounds when finished. Trying to figure out if i could mount a dog ear p 90 and a wrap tail and go full jr with it? I think it would need height on the fretboard with a little more tilt back for the neck?
    Or, just put it back with the FA hardware and put a coil split hummer in there.

19. BowerR64

BowerR64 TDPRI Member

I got another one but im not sure what model. I know its a sheena but what model number?

Plays great!

Sheena 2.jpg Sheena 3.jpg

TreblaNitram and oyobass like this.
  20. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.