1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

FARG - it's the First Act (is a) Real Guitar Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by FastMattTX, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Mr. Butler

Mr. Butler TDPRI Member

All of the bamboo guitars were made in China. There may have been a hand full that were customized in the custom shop though.

2. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info! How did you guys feel the bamboo guitars did?

Were there any production issues with using it as a material? Mine (I think it's from maybe '08?) seems to have held up well and the feel of the back of the neck is quite nice.

It was quite the experiment in rather traditional world of guitar building, it's too bad it didn't seem to take off.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Just found out this club. So here's mine. It has seen intense plastic surgery and looks badass now. But it's unique and fun to play.

I took the Fender style bridge out, that I thought didn't fit on this DC and filled the hole with wood. Replaced it with a wraparound. I wanted this guitar to be as simple as possible. So the body was stripped down to wood and oiled. Routed the pup cavity to accept a P90. One tuner was scrap, so I put on cheap Chinese ones, that work great. I also reshaped the Gumby looking headstock, to make it symetrical. Just had to work one side. I polished the frets, didn't need much more.

Sounds pretty good.

First Act - SX P90.jpg

Headstock modifié.jpg

pup ring.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

jvin248, tvvoodoo and Mr. Butler like this.
  4. Lockheed_Tvr

Lockheed_Tvr Tele-Meister

That looks very cool. Sound great! When you filled in the bridge cavity, did you do the back as well? Where the springs go?

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Thanks.
    Yeah, filled every hole with wood scrap laying around. Don't remember what I put in, could be pine. It was kind of hit and miss for bridge positionning.

Hit and miss.jpg

Mr. Butler likes this.
  6. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

1530054764363.jpg
    I turned my $30 pawn shop ME-478 into... Something else. It started with sanding off the cheesy cartoon skulls, and went from there. I had originally meant to paint it orange but liked it well enough sanded to the clear stuff. Bridge pup is a cheap Ibanez INF3 a friend gave me, neck is a GFS Surf 90. New CTS pots, 500k volume and a 525k(bought a 4 pack for a bass project that only needed 3) tone pot with a ceramic disc cap. Switchcraft Jack and 3 way switch. Cheap black GFS bridge and GFS tele knobs. Black Wilkinson tuners. Still tuning in the set-up but this thing screams. Nice warm clean tone from the Surf 90 if I'm in the mood but it sounds great with fuzz as well. Also accidentally bought a string through bridge, did a sloppy job drilling, but the sustain is much improved.

Mr. Butler likes this.
  7. Mr. Butler

Mr. Butler TDPRI Member

Here's a mod I'm finishing up. Will be up for sale shortly.

Attached Files:

• GTR.pdf
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    TreblaNitram likes this.
  8. TreblaNitram

TreblaNitram TDPRI Member

Hmm mine would look sweet with a similar pickguard.

9. Autolycus

Autolycus TDPRI Member

Indeed it is Chinese characters. It means “sample”. In pinyin it is “yang ping”

10. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Tele-Meister

WooHoo!!! Finally scored the GarageMaster I'd been quietly desiring for quite a while!

Was browsing the local classifieds late at night and stumbled across this beauty. The seller described it as "Like New" and he wasn't kidding - I wonder if it was even played. The protective film and stickers were still intact, and the strings acted like they'd never been stretched out and played in. Plays pretty well out of the box, and even included the setup tools still sealed in their bag. The case has a few spots of white paint I'll try to clean off, but everything else is perfect. Pics are straight from the seller's posting. I'm very happy with this baby, and it'll take a place of honor next to the Westerberg twins.

IMG_8821[1].PNG IMG_8822[1].PNG

2blue2 likes this.
  11. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Nice score!

12. Autolycus

Autolycus TDPRI Member

Finally got my hands on the elusive ME109.

The thing is solid with a pretty nice neck, as is usual, and decent fret work. Bridge is a little misaligned but not bad enough to do anything about unless I decide to upgrade the bridge. Neck will probably need to be shimmed, though it’s playable with the saddles lowered all the way. Pickup sounds decent and tuners seem fine. I love the look of this bass.

Attached Files:

Michael A. and TreblaNitram like this.
  13. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

BF93AF61-41CE-4531-B17A-35D8ED7EB5FB.jpeg Some years ago my father in law decided he would try to learn guitar as part of his adjustment to retirement. It never really went anywhere and now he’s given me this thing to do as I wish!

So, new project! Hoping to turn it into a monster doom machine, permanently perched low down in C! Now where’s the paint stripper!

TreblaNitram likes this.
  14. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Hi, I just joined here to tell you that I bought one of these last week and sanded off all finish, and ounces of wood, and reshaped the body somewhat. I am amazed at the beautiful wood underneath all of that thick poly. Had no idea what I might find, but very pleased with the look and feel of the basswood body.

The amazing thing is how well aligned the grain patterns are with the 3 piece body. It looks like somebody actually took care to do this right, but I don't really believe that could be possible. I had intended to do something with a faint paint pattern but now I can't bring myself to cover this beautiful grain with paint. Probably going to do a stain of some sort, but I know it would look fabulous with just tru oil. When wet, the bass wood takes on a very red color. Tru oil will bring a yellow tint when it dries. That would come out as an amber color, i'm sure.

Not good with loading pictures but I will try to do it with my phone if that's easy.

Also, the wood worked so well underneath a sander that it is obvious that there is still significant moisture in the wood. In fact, it was almost like working with clay. I live in AZ and my garage is terribly hot, of course. Probably 115 degree's. I would do a sanding session and the let it sit in the garage for 24 hours and then do another one. Lot's of difference between that stopping and starting back points with the sanding. The wood is basically still green. I can tell it is going to be very resonant when properly dried out.

Fun project. It's my second. Did a SX Callisto JR the last couple of months. It turned out fantastic. What my formula is with both of these pieces is to get down to the grain, reshape, and leave the grain open with a minimalist finish to let the wood breath. I am completely convinced that all that poly and paint is like a wet blanket over the tone of the wood. I'm shooting for a Melody Maker type vibe.

Great fun. Learning alot.

Peace,

Michael

FilthyFur74 likes this.
  15. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

Question for the First Act crew here: Have you ever seen the pearloid layer on a pickguard peel away from the rest of the pickguard?

I just "won" a VW Garagemaster with all the case candy (and the case) on Goodwill.com for $116 + 34.00 shipping/handling (a bit under the going asking price of close to 200.00), but the pearloid is coming off:
    [​IMG]

Is there a repair that can be done that can restore this without looking like a hack job? If not, I suppose I could get custom tort guards done at great expense.

Been wanting this one since I was bitten by the FA bug last year. We were given a couple fixer-uppers that I restored and gave to one of my daughters and a granddaughter.

Any repair ideas would be helpful!

16. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

duplicate deleted

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  17. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

This luthier claims to have designed and prototyped the Bambusa in the USA:
    https://www.coroflot.com/mtreineck/luthiery (Bambusa entry is the third one down the page)

That green one looks amazing. I'll have to look out for a used Bambusa... Woah, that would make a great band name, (for the right kind of band), lol.

"Used Bambusa" Just rolls off the tongue nicely. :twisted:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Ouch! Here's what I'd do, but it's ugly. I'd remove all the screws, warm the pickguard up with a space heater or hair dryer, make sure the film has peeled about as far as it will easily peel without tearing ... and then (this gets tricky), mask off everything you don't want glued ... takes a while. When only the glueable surfaces between the pickguard and film are exposed, carefully spray 3M spray adhesive on one area at a time and gently clamp the film down, wiping any excess ... and if you do this right, there won't be any seepage. Once it's clamped, for better or worse, that part is permanent. Work on one section at a time, and if you get a good clean repair the first try, patiently keep it up. If you have trouble controlling the spray (don't get too close or use too much spray), the you might consider replacing the guards altogether.
    I make a curtain out of a tarp, so that the spray doesn't get all over the room, but I would do this in a garage, because spray can drift, and that stuff sticks to anything.

19. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

3M spray adhesive can be bad stuff. A friend of mine used it to reattach loose endcaps on a bookshelf. Afterward his eyes felt weird- while rubbing them he found the edge of something in his eyes- he pulled out strings of adhesive from his eyes.

I always use safety glasses when working with the stuff in a well ventilated area since then.

Thanks for the suggestion!

20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

DO NOT get toxic glues in your eyes. Also, be very careful with arc welders. Seriously, goggles and dust mask. I use medical gloves, who wants that stuff on your hands?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.