Farewell to the World's Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
My sincere condolences to and heart felt sympathy for the British people, and all the countless others all around the world, we who considered Queen Elizabeth "our Queen" too.

Her passing is not just the passing of an incredible monarch, but also the passing of eras, of an older world, traditions, and sensibilities which we will never see again.

No world leader today can even begin to compare to who and what our Queen was. This is the event of a lifetime for us - the likes of which we will never see again.

I have spent a good number of hours just watching the faces and demeanor of the people passing her casket in Westminster. BBC has a 24/7 live feed of the mourners bidding farewell to our Queen. It is a moving experience to see their sorrow, grief, and bidding farewell to the Queen they so loved.

There will never be another like her. Countless people loved her and will forever miss her. A once in a lifetime experience for us, with Her in the world.

I'm American, but my DNA traces back to England and Scotland, so I consider myself part of Great Britain.

Farewell, Queen Elizabeth II - the World's Great Queen.

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
I doubt there is another Monarch in the world's 42 other monarchies that has done more than Queen Elizabeth's global humanitarian work. Her patronage alone has helped raise 1.6 billion dollars. Her Royal Family has patroned over 3000 charities worldwide. With a royal tie in a charity will realizes a double digit increase in donations.

Regardless of one's view on English history or the monarchy in general, Queen Elizabeth II does deserve the world's respect and gratitude. She was a stellar example of decorum, respect, dignity, and honor as much so, likely much more so, than the vast sea of politicians, dignitaries, and monarchs. I think the world would be a much better place if major leaders conducted themselves as honorably as Queen Elizabeth II did.

But she was from a bygone era... and today's political world is likened to shark-infested waters. A recent poll showed something like 60% of English citizens support having a monarchy, but in today's overall climate, with The Queen gone, we may well see the British monarchy fade before our eyes.

Last edited:

ficelles

Tele-Meister
Our world is rapidly changing, it will change again. Goodbye to a sweet lady, of a bygone era who always held up her end.

Amazing to think she lived as an adult through the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and into the 20s. From Ella Fitzgerald to Olivia Rodrigo.

4BCD84BE-E599-4B53-A4FB-B26F14E7C128.jpeg

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice sentiments and I share them. My grandmother was born and raised in Scotland. My brother has been working and living in the U.K. for a dozen years. He called the night after she died and expressed shock at just how much it affected him, he was really shaken. He also said that the first day or so it was incredibly quiet and somber on the streets anywhere he went. She was one of kind the likes of which we won't see again.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Me too.
No one's gonna care though, when I kick it, other than my kids, maybe my sister.

I'm ok with that
I'm with you. My grandmother on her own lifted eight children out of abject rural poverty and into positions of respect in their community. Some were highly successful in business and became philanthropists in their own right. And grandma was confined to a wheelchair through all of this. In the forties, the county orphanage tried to take her children from her, saying she could not provide for them what they needed to survive.

In choosing people to admire, I always look to see what hardships they overcame to become good and productive people. I like "bootstrap" stories.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Me too.
No one's gonna care though, when I kick it, other than my kids, maybe my sister.

I'm ok with that
hey, we'll all be bummed about it. You know how much everyone here is involved in conversations about everything. Imagine if we sat down next each other at a bar and I figured out who you were, I'd ask about your son and his work at the post office, we'd joke about the Beatles and a thousand other things...

I would 100% be very sad if something happened to you, I think a lot of guys here would. We're all like 'fanly'

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
I had to swear allegiance to her and her decedents when I got my Canadian Citizenship, and had no qualms at the time. Not so sure how I feel about it now, however. Hope for the best I guess, as after all, we can always rise to the occasion. Long live the King.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
The last thread about QE2 was closed because people couldn’t avoid pontificating from a soapbox.

Just like this thread.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.