1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Far East Squier parts interchangeability with MIM/MIA Fender?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Kloun, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

If I wanted to build a Jazz Bass partsocaster, are the Squiers made in the far East/Asia (China, Indonesia, Korea) the same size/specs for the parts as the MIA/MIM. Like are the bodies the same dimensions and thickness as standard MIM/MIA? Are the screw spacings, bridges a different size or would they mate to MIM/MIA? Basically, for anyone who has a Squier and a MIA/MIM do you see any major differences I should be aware of? Thanks.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know about the basses, but the guitar parts are not necessarily interchangable in a lot of dimensions.

3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, if it's anything like strats, there are some differences.... I think some stuff may work and some may not. I know that the pickguards are strange. Even within Fender there are different size and hole spacings. Well I think that's the case for Pbasses. They have changed a bit from time to time. So I'm told. I bought a pearloid one that didn't fit my Mexican but maybe it was made for a Squier.... Either way, there are differences and you just have to go by a case by case scenario.

For me it makes me want to just leave stuff stock. But I'll give you an example... I bought a Fender pickguard for a Strat. It doesn't fit AT ALL on my Fender "Starcaster". Chinese made strat type. I mean it's not even close. But all but 2 holes lined up on my Squier Bullet Srat. And the bridge and neck were all good to go with no massaging. BUT, in order to put the pots in, I had to drill some holes for these little tabs on the pots that help them not spin when you are turning the knob. I guess the American ones don't have those little tabs? IDK....

4. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

15 years of tinkering with parts on my instruments and this is where I've landed. The amount of pickguards and knobs and whatnot that HAVEN'T fit on my instruments is absolutely shocking. I've wasted so much time and money on aftermarket parts.

If it's a good instrument, I leave it stock. If it's a bad instrument... I don't own it. And no instrument I own is worth more than $1000 (except a saxophone, but just barely). And guess what? I play WAY MORE since making that decision. No more instruments disassembled for weeks while I wait for parts. No more taking things apart "just to see" what happens - newsflash, not much ever happens. I did just swap a pickguard on my P bass, but I made myself wait until a string change was necessary - so I waited nearly two years to do it :)

Music > Gear
    Sound > Looks

FortyEight likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Yep. Even just buying a new one brings it own set of things you gotta tweak til you get it to how you want... Like set up etc.

But yeah, I'm with you. It's good to know how to take an unuseable guitar and make it useable though. But I mean... the tweaking and customizing can get pretty interesting. Like you say, I'd rather play.

I have had a bit of fun learning how to do some things. My neck on my starcaster was unuseable cuz it would cut your finger, or rub it raw. And I sorted that out. And I learned how to make sure the frets are level. Or as level as I can get them. I have no clue how to polish though. Other than some super fine steel wool. LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.