Fantastic Problem

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jimijames, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jimijames

jimijames TDPRI Member

So, I put together a parts telecaster.

It doesn't look like the attachments anymore, but only because the humbucker in the neck is now uncovered. And zebra.

My problem is this - I come from strats, and I want to carve the forearm contour/belly cut into the guitar to make it more comfortable.

The problem is, I don't know if I should do this. The guitar is fine as is, and maybe I'm just being a little baby about it. I dunno. But my strat is effortless to play - really comfortable and sounds great to boot.

Is this a good idea? Terrible mistake? Should I just leave it as is? I'm really tempted to get out the files and carve (very carefully) a series of contours to make it more comfortable.

Attached Files:

2. rwhite219

rwhite219 Tele-Meister

Noooooooooooo!!!!!

3. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Do it.
    It's a partscaster, so you won't be de-valuing a thousand buck guitar. The more comfortable it is to you, the more you'll play it. No-brainer, really.
    Enjoy!

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Do it. But remember, a little goes a long way.

5. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

Life is short, and I can't think of a better project to experiment with. That means a refinish, or really rough looking guitar. I like the color as it is, but that would give you the chance to do something different if you wanted to.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

You sound like you're a bit on the nervous side doing it yourself. If that's the case get someone to do it for you. Personally I would leave it like it is, but it's your call at the end of the day, either way enjoy your Tele no matter what you decided to do.

7. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

If it's what you want go for it you have to enjoy the guitar not us :) I love slab bodies to me a Tele is a great because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I'm a skinny guy so a belly is more of a rib contour! I like the idea of Telecasters being a different beast than a Strat. Not saying a Tele with contours isn't a Tele ,but when I think of a Tele a slab comes to my mind instantly :)

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

You need to decide whether you want a Tele or a Strat. If as you say, you have an urge to Strat-ify a Tele, then you don't "get" the Tele. If I was to buy a strat and then go about blocking the trem, removing the whammy bar, filling in the belly cut and removing the middle PU, what would you think?

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Or you might decide you want a tele with a couple of bevels in it. :D REAL teles can have a tummy cut and belly contour; even Fender says so! :lol:

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Do it! Do you have a belt sander? If not, could you borrow or rent one?

11. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Do it. I did it to mine (slight belly cut too) and it's now my favourite guitar.

Attached Files:

12. mke52

mke52 Tele-Meister

Do it but not too much to unbalance it.

13. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I'd try a factory one to see if it made a giant difference.

I am going to strap up like Brewer Phillips, (around the neck, not over a shoulder!) if I have to stand. Body shape means less that way.

14. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Have to say, it makes a nice improvement in comfort. I literally don't think about any comfort issues with mine and dare I say, it might be the most comfortable guitar I own. Has a forearm and tummy cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

I prefer teles because they're square. Strats always gravitate to the same place on your hip and mine is not a good one. I dont own a single contoured guitar.

16. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Don't do it! Looks like you have a nice finish on that body. Get another body that's not painted and do it to that one. Then swap them over.

17. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Go for it. It won't make it easier to play,nor will it sound differently. It will feel better and be more comfortable to play.
    I like mine contoured.

image-1915778184.jpg

image-2393079414.jpg

image-1258832626.jpg

image-2771080922.jpg

And this years Tele build. Full contour with a Strat round over!

image-803348925.jpg

image-4067131660.jpg

image-3716177347.jpg

image-1347894117.jpg

18. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Better you should have your lower ribs surgically removed, than that you should change one molecule of that guitar.

Just kidding. It's yours, do what you want with it. Just remember... it's a lot easier to remove wood than to replace it...

19. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Tele shape is different from a start shape.. I'd try out a few tele's and see how the contours feel. I always loved strats but rarely play mine now that I've taken to Teles. I find that while sitting the Strats slides around to much while Tele's just sit regardless of the position I'm in.

20. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this one. The color I like but might would do something just a little different, however, the design is flawless. It has all the stuff I love about Strats, and all the stuff I love about Tele, and none of the stuff I don't like. Pure heaven.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.