Fanned fret/headless on the way

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Feb 19, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

...on a sssssslowwwwwwww boat from China, not scheduled to be here until some time into June.
    [​IMG]

I thought it'd be interesting to check out fanned frets and the strandberg guitar design ideas, without coughing up a couple grand.

Hopefully it doesn't bring any stowaway coronavirus along with it...:eek:

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

This is cool! Let us know what you think of it once it arrives! I would love to own a Strandberg but it's not in the cards. Maybe a Kiesel...

Jakedog and blowtorch like this.
  3. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I have had the same two questions about fanned frets since I learned about them.

If franned frets get your intonation exact, will you be out of tune with the other guys?

If franned frets get even string tension across the neck, is it even necessary?

4. blowtorch

yeah really i don't get how the whole fanned frets things is an advantage except for those guys who tune way down to like C and play 9 string guitars like "DJENT DJENT DJENT" and that is SO not me, but hey, maybe it'll be handy for drop-D? or just baritone (octave down) twangy stuff

The headless concept I do get, it makes the guitar a lot lighter and compact. But I've still not really warmed up to it aesthetically.
    Hey though it's good to get outside the same-old same-old, sometimes

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think the fanned frets are supposed to fit your hand more naturally. I just a got a strandberg, I'm very impressed by it so far. It's very comfortable to play, rings like a bell, I love the Suhr pickups they sound great and it stays in tune and it weighs like 4 lbs.

matmosphere and gregulator450 like this.
  6. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Wow, it uses standard bridge. I hope they calculated well when they decided the frets spacing. I played the normal fret version and the quality is like most branded guitars currently made in China.

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

please update this once it arrives and the cost involved.

I have a hard time playing the cowboy chord C at the first fret. I wonder if this might alleviate that some.

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I played Plini signature and my impression was similar to yours. I'm debating getting the Salen.

9. blowtorch

Not sure whether that's really true.
    This is supposedly the guitar I'll be getting

...and if you'll forward to 5:46 he talks about/demonstrates the bridge.
    I inquired with the seller and supposedly and hopefully this is the bridge that is on the coronacaster :) heading my way.

Of course you never really know until it's in your hands

10. blowtorch

I dunno but I'd imagine fanned frets make chording more difficult up towards where the headstock isn't, rather than less...

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was thinking that I heard that, but really, the frets fan the wrong direction for making it easier on the hand. The low E on the lower part of the neck makes you need to stretch your index finger further toward the headstock... I need the opposite for hand comfort! When I play a bar chord, my index finger already wants to go toward the heel. This would be worse.

blowtorch likes this.
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There were a couple used Strandbergs at my local GC recently. I thought I was finally gonna get to try them out, but alas they were seven strings. Something I have so little interest in I didn’t even pick one up.

I am thinking seriously about a headless Kiesel, and have been for quite a while now. But I don’t think I’ll go for the whole multi-scale thing. I just don’t see it benefiting me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    brookdalebill and blowtorch like this.
  13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

These frets fan out quite differently from real strandbergs, and it looks like to me that the strandbergs would be more comfortable (especially for cowboy chords). However, these frets aren't too different from the Ormsby Rusty Cooley guitar.

As far as getting intonation correct, I think the longer scale on the lower-tuned strings just makes it easier to intonate when you're tuning down into the nether regions, not necessarily perfecting intonation. I like the multi-scale feature because when playing really low down and drop tunings, it can get crazy to have to get into .090+ gauge strings to try to get enough tension to not sound like a fart on a snare drum compounded with having a high e string at a 27" or 28" scale that doesn't facilitate bends or vibrato well.

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I should have been a little more clear, the C on the B string is my only issue because of a banged up first finger. Everything else seems to work well but that angle just doesn't work for me. With the slight slope of the fret lower on the board I wonder if the angle will help.

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My question is, how do fanned frets do with a lot of bending??

I'm not talking simple stuff-- the whole step or whatever.

But those who imitate a pedal steel with multi string bends and contrary motion etc.
    Think: Jerry Donahue type stuff.
    Radical stuff.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. blowtorch

Yeah, no idea really. thought I'd explore some of this stuff

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A little surprised you didn't go this route.

[​IMG]

18. blowtorch

:lol:

I think it's funny when something that is of an avante garde-ish nature tries really hard to add a traditional aesthetic to the mix.

The only thing that's funnier is how curmudgenly stick-in-the-mud and traditional guitar players as a whole have somehow become

Tradition!
    [​IMG]

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If a had a (BC) Rich Bich ... I would *deedle* *deedle* *diedle* *diedle* *dum*. All day long I would ...

20. blowtorch

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.