Fancy switch tips with set screws...

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Seems u misunderstood. I'm not questioning whether to get a metal set screw knob, i AM going to. The question was whether the knurled versions make any difference in how quickly/easily it is to switch in the heat of battle. I don't wanna spend more if not, especially considering i prefer the look of the a smooth black one. https://reverb.com/item/47879681-forney-custom-telecaster-style-pickup-switch-tip-jet-black
I think the knurling helps - much as it does on a pot knob. More friction. The Strat button works without knurling because of the small diameter that increases friction. The plastic barrels are a little "slipperier".

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Seems u misunderstood. I'm not questioning whether to get a metal set screw knob, i AM going to. The question was whether the knurled versions make any difference in how quickly/easily it is to switch in the heat of battle. I don't wanna spend more if not, especially considering i prefer the look of the a smooth black one. https://reverb.com/item/47879681-forney-custom-telecaster-style-pickup-switch-tip-jet-black

For myself, I know I want a small, round smooth thing. I use my hand to hit it, not grip it. Not that the knurling would bother me much, but since I'm just going to make some, I think I've decided I want a sideways barrel. Kind of a "T handle", but as narrow as a set screw will allow.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
For myself, I know I want a small, round smooth thing. I use my hand to hit it, not grip it. Not that the knurling would bother me much, but since I'm just going to make some, I think I've decided I want a sideways barrel. Kind of a "T handle", but as narrow as a set screw will allow.
Can you whack the top off of a top hat and glue/tape it on for a test? It won't be round, but could save you a wasted chunk of metal.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Can you whack the top off of a top hat and glue/tape it on for a test? It won't be round, but could save you a wasted chunk of metal.

Ha ha, I'm surrounded by chunks of metal. I'm a machinist. I don't have a top hat tip, though. But as a concept, I'd rather waste metal than plastic. It recycles better.

There's not much to learn here. I need a tip so the blade doesn't cut my hand, and for looks. A barrel with a slot and a set screw is like tying my shoes.

shallbe

Tele-Meister
Not knurled, but these are my favorite. Solid ebony. No finish. Really stay in place as well. Plus, when your hand gets a little sweaty, they get a little grippy. Bonus.

Made by dknobs.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Ha ha, I'm surrounded by chunks of metal. I'm a machinist. I don't have a top hat tip, though. But as a concept, I'd rather waste metal than plastic. It recycles better.

There's not much to learn here. I need a tip so the blade doesn't cut my hand, and for looks. A barrel with a slot and a set screw is like tying my shoes.
Sounds like you have it sorted! Make a couple for me! Something like a Hurst shifter T-handle!

I might be aging myself a bit here...

4895.jpg

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I don't think the knurling really matters - the knob tip just gives you something to whack to change positions.
Agreed, but the thing that made me wonder is that on a tele unlike a strat the switch tip almost touches the volume knob when in the bridge position leaving no space to get a finger between them and whack it as you described. You almost have to grab it so i thought with the heavy knurling i see one them you might be able to just sorta brush the side of it with a finger and more positively and easily move it. No matter....i'll probably just get the smooth one at 1/2 the cost unless someone has gotten one and found it really makes a considerable difference.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Agreed, but the thing that made me wonder is that on a tele unlike a strat the switch tip almost touches the volume knob when in the bridge position leaving no space to get a finger between them and whack it as you described. You almost have to grab it so i thought with the heavy knurling i see one them you might be able to just sorta brush the side of it with a finger and more positively and easily move it. No matter....i'll probably just get the smooth one at 1/2 the cost unless someone has gotten one and found it really makes a considerable difference.
That's how the knurling works for me. More friction than a smooth surface.

I wonder how one of those kids' wiggly pencil eraser tips would work stuck on a barrel?

Attachments

• eraser.jpeg
    eraser.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 15
  • eraser2.jpeg
    eraser2.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 19
  • external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 18

kneedtospeed

TDPRI Member
As mentioned by many before, a strat tip, with a bent switch lever, allows a quick sweep with a full finger, or edge of your palm.
Lightly squeeze the metal lever a coule times with sidecutters, to notch it, and the tip will never fall off again.

Attachments

• 761346FB-6CE3-49F9-8E85-F0A69FA7FC74.jpeg
    761346FB-6CE3-49F9-8E85-F0A69FA7FC74.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 26

Telecentric

Tele-Holic
Thanks for posting this. I forgot about these but tired of then coming off or having to put them on in a way that makes the hard to remove. This is the best way to go so i'm gonna get one. One thing tho....anyone find the knurled ones make it noticeable easier to switch quickly? They seem to be double the $ so i'd rather go with the $12 shipped one unless the knurling is really worth it.
To me, the knurling + mass is definitely worth it. The knurling matches my knobs, and your fingers don't slide off if you are sweaty. As noted, I feel the mass adds to the feel when you hit the indent.