Famous Telecasters at The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John E, Aug 7, 2019.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

That's a sensational post, thanks a mill for sharing your pics. Was Rory Gallaghers strat there? I've seen that at exhibitions in full surround view where you can see the neck wear and the incredible buckle rash on the back. It is one of the most fascinating guitars that I've ever seen.

John E likes this.
  2. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely! It is by far... far and away my favorite museum. It has such a great mix of different things... architecture, art, mummies, armor.... and I love the ancient rooms that they deconstructed and built on site. And this instrument exhibit was icing! lol

3. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Ha yes for sure a cool story behind that strat! It was not on display here unfortunately, at least that I recall. The artist strats I remember seeing were SRV, EVH, Clapton. There was a beautiful tobacco burst strat next to the snakehead tele, but I don't recall the story behind that one. I'd like to go back on a weekday when it's less crowded... you could literally spend hours just on that one exhibit!

4. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I am a big fan of Tom Morello... They actually had a short film interview where he talks about his history and technique. I didn't get to watch the whole video but he did explain that his gear had gotten stolen after a gig, so he literally had to go and buy a new full rig the next day because they had another gig that night. He talks about that how he started using the Marshall head, and all they had was a choice between that and one other head and one 4x12 cab and that was how he got his signature rig. He did say he bought a guitar as well so I assumed it was the one pictured because it's displayed with his amp and pedal board right underneath where they show the video. It's hilarious hearing him talk about his initial obsession with tone really hampered his playing and at one point he marked his settings on the amp and that became his settings for every gig going forward... lol! Really an interesting guy. His fingers are hella long too!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  5. frank a

frank a TDPRI Member

I recently went to the exhibit and I wanted to see Keith’s Tele. This is all I got to see:
    upload_2019-8-11_20-46-1.jpeg

Oh well. The rest of it was great!

eean, Piotr, Green-House and 3 others like this.
  6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

They sound just fine on the recordings. The difference in good tone and great tone is quickly covered up with mixing and backing instruments. But that's just like, my opinion man.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This photo is almost better than if Micawbr was actually there. Too cool, dude. Hang onto it!:);)

8. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bummer! Micawber in person (except for the plastic guard on front of it) is pretty awesome to see. I live in NYC and am a MET member, so I have seen the exhibit three times now. It is an interesting experience being in the same room with the original instruments, knowing some history about the people who had created with them.

By the way, the guitars are suspended by customized wall brackets that attach to the strap buttons.

John E likes this.
  9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They all seem to have a similar contraption around the strap buttons.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  10. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

How dare they refer to Keith Richards as an object!:lol:

2 Headed Goat and Clifton C like this.
  11. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

A question for anyone that has just visited. When does this exhibition close? I am hitting New York on the 7th October but I think it will have finished by then. I hope it gets extended.

Cheers

12. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Muddy, Springsteen, Strummer, Morello, plus Keef and Andy Summer's..... all six saddle. Just sayin'.

aging_rocker and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Hohner is a Prince spare too, as Mike mentions about Strummers. It's in another MET thread here. Use the search function.

14. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

You know, it's funny I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at them. I don't have a preference between 3 saddle or 6 saddle. I like both but it's funny how discussions on here make you notice those kinds of things right away... lol

tlsmack likes this.
  15. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Yeah if I remember correctly it runs through exactly Oct 1st. Maybe call the Met and see if it possibly will go longer into October?

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have my fingers in my ears shouting la la la so I cannot hear this sacrilege

Pretty sure anything suggesting that Leo Got It Right First Time is incorrect earns you a 5 match ban

tlsmack likes this.
  17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ends October 1, unfortunately.

Fluddman likes this.
  18. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Is the Strummer one the same one that used to have the "IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS" sticker on it?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  19. BrianK

BrianK NEW MEMBER!

Jimmy Page had left the Tele in its case, far more worn than even the worn "replica" dragon finishes you see now. One of his technicians (roadies) in the 90s thought it would be cool to "fix up that old guitar" so he took it quietly and had it painted BLUE and added beads from costume jewelry to the surface! Jimmy said he opened the case, saw it - and the guy was so proud! - so Jimmy (in shock) just quietly closed the case. He didn't cry or scream or anything, but of course was hugely disappointed.

Over time, the number of replica dragon-finish Tele's grew and grew, so Jimmy actually hired one of the replica refinishers to re-do his Tele back to the old style. I kinda wish they'd gone whole hog and done the un-worn finish look, but maybe no one has photos of it to replicate. Even cooler, if they'd done it with the Yardbirds' original paint with the mirrors - that would be awesome.

No one mentioned the king of the Met exhibit - Keith Emerson's giant Moog synthesizer! Dwarfs everything around...

20. smartwarrior

smartwarrior TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing. Sure would like to see it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.