1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For some reason, I've met a lot. A couple favorites: Hunter S Thompson, I got to hang out in his dressing room after an appearance. He is just as intense and jittery as you might imagine. Friendly, though.

I was at the Night Stage blues club in Cambridge MA, back in the '80s; I can't remember the band, but I noticed the guy standing next to me, a short fellow with curly hair and a sort of fedora hat. It was the comedian Steven Wright, who, it turns out, went to community college in Bedford, MA, the town I lived in at the time. We spoke a little, but he was really loaded and couldn't really focus. I was hoping for one of his jokes, but I think he had his hands full just holding the wall up. Cool to meet him, though.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I met Keegan Michael-Key about 15 years ago. Very nice guy.
    I’ve been in shows with Aidy Bryant and Alex Moffat who are both on Saturday Night Live right now.
    Was in a conversation with Noah Wyle on a set. Didn’t introduce ourselves.
    Stood next to Christopher Nolan and Gary Oldman on the set of The Dark Knight. I was an extra and didn’t speak to them.
    Auditioned for something once that Fred Savage was directing. He was in the room, I think I probably just said a general hello to the 5 or 6 people in the room. (Didn’t get the part)
    Filmed a scene in a movie this summer with one of my favorite actors, Richard Jenkins. Very nice man. We talked for about an hour. (Found out a couple months later my part got cut from the movie)
    Worked in a video store outside of Indianapolis 30 years ago and waited on a guy who looked just like Mario Andretti. Turned out it was his twin brother, Aldo.

stevemc, Skully and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Walking down 34th Street with my then 10 year old son on vacation in NYC IN 1999 encountered Adam Sandler sitting on in a car talking to a couple of guys. Instinctively I just said “Hey Adam, how you doin’?” (I’m a Native New Yorker, the accent and intonation return quickly). He looked up and simply said “Hey guy, what’s happening? Later”.
    My son knew who he was and thought I actually knew him the exchange was so casual.

Skully, JeffBlue and That Cal Webway like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I forgot to mention that I was good friends with Kenny Ortega in high school. We met in Summer Drama Workshop at Sequoia Union High School District in San Mateo Country, where we did King and I and Lil Abner, and then Ken started a local community theater company called the Redwood City Civic Light Opera. He was the executive producer, producer, director, choreographer, and musical director. We produced five musicals, Oliver, the Sound of Music, the Roar of the Greasepaint the Smell of the Crowd, Finian's Rainbow, and Mame. And the whole cast, crew, and orchestra for all of them were high school kids from all the high schools in San Mateo County. We collected donations to raise enough money to rent the scripts and scores, rent the theaters, build the sets, and make the costumes, which was also all done by high school kids. Then Ken's first pro gig was in the cast of the SF production of Hair, which included Ben Vereen, and a girl named Candy who went on to be on All My Children. He was in the film version of Jesus Christ Superstar. Then Ken choreographed the film Dirty Dancing with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey, directed the films Newsies with a very young Christian Bale, and Hocus Pocus with Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Nojimi, which has become a Halloween cult classic. More recently he directed all the High School Musical films and Descendants films for Disney, and recently got his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And his latest endeavor is a series for Netflix, which just wrapped filming the first season. It's called Julie and the Phantoms.

5. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I got into an elevator once and looked at the inspection card, which stated "inspected by: P.W. Herman". Wasn't sure where i was going to be when the door opened.

6. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Was it The CFA in Murfreesboro? I went to training with the owner of that store back in 1985. His store is the meeting place/ stepping off place for a bunch of Nashville Bands Tour buses. They crew arrive, kiss loved ones good bye and climb aboard “ after” a biscuit or mini’s

7. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    I grew up a Carl Erskine fan.

dan1952 likes this.
  8. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Met Eddie Vedder on his acoustic tour. Waited about an hour behind the venue with a handful of folks. He was extremely nice and spoke with each of us for 3 or 4 minutes. Had the privilege to meet Leona Williams and Ferlin Husky at a show I was playing at. We had lunch the following day and I later had the opportunity to sing with Leona. One of the coolest moments. Ferlin was the funniest, sweetest person. I can’t really describe just how amazing he was. I teared up a little watching him perform because he was having some health issues but still giving it his all. Met plenty of other folks throughout the years, but those were two of the most meaningful.

stevemc and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

After I graduated from high school I had a summer job as a security guard at ABC television in Manhattan, as a relief guard. So I basically went from guard post to guard post and gave everyone 15 minutes break or so. I met Paul McCartney, Stallone (5'7" TOPS) , and others in the green room of GMA, and Sally Fields made me a bagel and coffee when I told her I wasn't actually allowed in :) Made Carol Burnett laugh on the set of One Life to Live or whichever soap she was on (the Susan Lucci one) and met a ton of other famous people. I saw Christie Brinkley stop work on a construction site while walking down the block (this was 1980 Christie Brinkley, so.... yeah lol ). It was a cool gig :) Someone famous literally every day for 3 months

stevemc, JeffBlue and Skully like this.
  10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I've met and been with some via the period when I spent up to 1/4 of the year in the Tetons. Mutual friends knew famous people who lived there and one of them is a concert promoter. It was not something you really react to or go crazy when you're with them in their personal time, space, fishing, at a bar or show related party intended to be private. It was also a time and place where a past VP lives and in an bad weather and Olympics opening situation I ended up in their proximity in what I through was maybe a security slip up. I have a close up photo of Air Force one for the day.

One time it was being about done with our meal in at a bar when I realized the familiar guy next to us was Sting and his wife.

There is one incident I hope I can describe. Doc Severnson was someone I followed and my high school band pride was his model trumpet. He had an interest in the maker and our family scrap business got metal there. My parents were also Milwaukee Symphony patrons. At a back stage pops concert event we met him. My mother tried for an autograph and said we pick up the scrap metal at the company. He replied asking what a junk dealer was doing back stage at the symphony. It was as offensive as it was funny. It was a teenage lesson in caring less for celebrities.

In 1981 a friend won first class and exclusive tickets for a weekend and Rolling Stones in San Francisco. We were in the Fairmont same time they were, and some lore said there was some sort of fight between them. We were actually closer to them at the concert in Candlestick Park. On another SFO trip we encountered some Grateful Dead members on a trip north of the bridge.

For the 1988 election cycle I drove a mobile art gallery that went to events and the conventions. It was kind of crazy to be a servicing vendor and close including in same elevator with a few famous people.

I like Keef but thinking of being a teen through now, most celebrity encounters were not impressive the way I had hoped think. Maybe this is because I wrote a letter to The Monkees when I was in grade school inviting them to stay at our house. I never got a reply.

jim777, stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I sat behind David Hockney and friend at a screening of DA Pennebaker's Don't Look Back at the ICA in The Mall London in about 1968.

I used to promote a series of author talks in the 90's and lunched with lots. Colin Dexter the Morse author was the biggest name and very easy, but several times I hosted Michael Donaghy the poet, New York born but long time London resident, who was the nicest person I've ever met.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  12. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Mentioned sometime long ago in some other thread, I met Jackson Browne and Darryl Hannah at my local curry shop in Tokyo.

Met Kinky Friedman a couple of times.

Met the actor Jamie Cromwell in Montreal.

Shared an elevator ride in Barcelona with Robert Redford, exchanged pleasantries.

stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
  13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Tons of great stories in here!

I seem to have met more bass players than any other group. Off the top of my head, Vic Wooten, P-nut from 311, the gal from Lucious Jackson, ???

The only one worth a telling is John Prine, who I quite literally ran into in a hotel hallway in Columbia, MO around the turn of the century. I was delivering pizzas at the time and decided to run one across the street while I waited for the rest of my run to come up.

While I was hustling back to the elevators I nearly knocked over a small quiet man who was minding his own business. He seemed surprised to be recognized by a 20 year-old and I struggled to explain that was because Please Don't Bury Me was the first song I had ever learned to play. He offered up a pair of tickets to his show the next night and although I wasn't sure he would remember due to the smell on his breath, they were waiting for me at will call the next day.

It was a great show.

stevemc likes this.
  14. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

stevemc likes this.
  15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I shook hands with and exchanged pleasantries with President Jimmy Carter. I was buying his first book of poetry and he was signing it.

He was much shorter than I expected...

But a class act.

stevemc, brookdalebill and Chuckster like this.
  16. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Met this guy in a tiny pub in Kensington...

DaveGrohl.jpg

Johnny in Boston...

Johnny-Boston.jpg

Just met Robyn a few weeks back... once in Austin and then again a few weeks later in Providence.

Robyn-Austin.jpg

Many others over the years... as for sports stars, many Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots. I live near Gillette Stadium and many of the Pats players live in my town.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Blue Bill and stevemc like this.
  17. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I work in the TV industry in DC....so I've met a ton of politicians. Most aren't the most genuine folks, big surprise huh? But a few are.
    Tons of athletes, but I could care less about sports.

Memorable musicians:
    Roger Waters, nice guy but I kept thinking how funny it would be if I had a copy of "Division Bell" and had asked him to sign it. Probably a good thing I didn't....
    Ritchie Havens. Super nice guy...and a giant.
    George Clinton in normal clothing...you'd never recognize him.
    Kevin Eubanks...this guy is pleasure to meet and talk to. Seriously friendly guy, loves to talk guitar. Probably my favorite musician on a personal level that I've met.

Actors and actresses, a few were:
    Bo Derek...yes she is that attractive in real life. It was several years ago, but she was better looking in person if that's possible.
    Jane Seymour, shorter than you'd think.

But the nicest celebrity I've ever met was Henry Winkler...yeah Fonzie. This was about 10 years ago. He was swamped by people trying to get autographs and pictures with him...and couldn't have been nicer about it. Honestly it was like the second coming of Christ for most of the people I work with. I was amazed that Henry Winkler was the must meet celeb at work, considering some of the folks that have come thru the station. I offered to take him into a private room so he could be left alone and he refused. We then talked about "Arrested Development" for a good 10-15 minutes, I'm a huge fan of that show. It was great hearing about the cast, the show...and honestly I think he was grateful be talking about something other than "Happy Days" and he really loved "Arrested" too so it wasn't hard to get him talking about it.

stevemc and Skully like this.
  18. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I shook Daniel Ellsberg's hand after he gave a speech.

stevemc likes this.
  19. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I was at that event with Redd & Cindy. They're great together, and apart.

I met Tina Turner at an airport when she was still with the Ike & Tina Turner Revue back in the mid 1970s. I was 11 years old. She gave me back stage passes to her show at the Capital Center - my very first rock concert.

I met Chrissie Hynde in the Atlanta airport. We spoke for a while about Rush Limbaugh's use of "My City Was Gone". She put me on the guest list for a show when her tour passed through Norfolk, where I was living at the time. She was very nice and engaging to speak with.

I met Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown on an airplane shortly before he passed. Just shook his hand and smiled.

I ran into Jimmy Carter at a national park while he was still President. He was a little preoccupied (you think?) but not so much to offer me a smile and shake my hand.

I spoke with Chuck Berry while he sat alone waiting to go onstage. Very gracious and patient.

I met Muddy Waters after sneaking backstage following one of his concerts in Richmond, VA

My uncle owned a cab in NYC. He picked up Paul & Linda McCartney, kids in tow, as they emerged barefoot from Central Park. He also picked up Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, whiskey bottle in hand, after an early morning meeting in Manhattan. My uncle, a huge fan of traditional jazz, turned his music down and they told him to turn it back up.

20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I was talking to Jim with a friend of mine prior to a Mermen Halloween gig a couple years ago. He was telling us in elaborate detail how the plots of all Gidget movies follow the same formula. Pretty funny! Jim generally hangs out prior to the show and between sets so it's very easy to talk to him if you are so motivated.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    blueruins and stevemc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.