1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hm. Not many. Let's see:

I used to see Keith and Donna Jean Godchaux at my girlfriend's house in their pre-Dead days. Helped Keith move a piano once.

Jeannie Bryson (jazz singer and daughter of Dizzie Gilespie and Connie Bryson) used to babysit for my nieces.

Sat next to US senator and presidential candidate Paul Simon at a big lunch once.

Si Kahn isn't the most famous folksinger in the world, but he has had a few Grammy nominations and whatnot. My wife used to work with him.

Likewise, his friend John McKucheon, well known in hammered dulcimer circles, I know via my wife.

Got drunk with actor/writer/performance artist Spaulding Gray once. A real character.

Met Jimmy Breslin once when I was leafleting outside a New York movie theater. He looked just like Jimmy Breslin.

Abbie Hoffman used to hang out at an office where I worked. He liked to say hi to everyone who went in and out.

Used to work at a radio station in Noel Paul Stookey's converted chicken barn. Said hi and bye to him once in a while.

Met Odetta once when I was volunteering at a show. She asked me to carry her baby. (Her baby was her guitar.)

Met Barry "Fish" Melton of Country Joe fame backstage once. He was in a snit.

Insulted Ralph Nader over the phone once. Does that count?

stevemc, JeffBlue, emisilly and 2 others like this.
  2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I met Martina Navratilova when she lived here with Nancy Lieberman. I was working at the local Porsche dealership when she part of the German Open prize was a new 911. So they shipped it to us. Then when she was doing a Porsche ad in Tennis magazine I got to babysit that one at her house. Pretty nice lady, kinda quiet but talk about being in shape. Impressive no doubt

Talked to Chris Duarte for awhile at one of his gigs. I think he was impressed I made a 5 1/2 hour drive for it. Got to talking about guitars so he ran through his rig with me. Then i showed him pics of my guitars at the time one of which is a black SG. It's evil he says while laughing. Pretty good guy

JeffBlue and emisilly like this.
  3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I almost forgot -- Shawn Lane, Jonas Hellborg, and Jeff Sipe, back when they were a trio - mid 90s?. Shawn lived in town for a while, and Jonas was hooked up with a local girl. They played a number of local gigs, which was awesome, and got to hang a bit with them before and after.

Digital Larry likes this.
  4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I met Lita Ford when I was living in North Long Beach Calif. in the 80s. A friend of mine knew her personally and introduced me to her.

Another friend of mine knows Seymour Duncan personally. I was invited to meet Seymour at a restaurant in Santa Barbara and I bought him breakfast. Went back to the factory and the bass player from Canned Heat was there and between him and Seymour I heard some of the most funny stories. I met Maricela Juarez and saw a whole tray labeled "Billy Gibbons" in the custom shop that was filled with a load of Filtertrons. Excellent time and I was able to show Seymour a couple of my prototype guitars.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    stevemc, emisilly, 24 track and 2 others like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd say so.

My law partner was a State Rep, and he and I would work late and nobody was on hand to handle incoming calls. D. Duke was a State Rep too, and got our number and would try to catch my partner, to steal some ideas from him. But I tended to pick up the phone first, so I would tell Duke my partner would like to talk to him; please hold on. Then I would leave him hanging, 20, 30 minutes. And I would tell my partner that Line 3 was a girlfriend of mine, don't poach her. I adored doing that, so Duke wouldn't know what bills we were doing and try to appropriate them and infect them.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aside from dealing with entertainers, speakers, and politicians from across the entire spectrum from unknown to national acts as part of my job, I had 2 encounters "in the wild", both at the same place, and both were while I worked a job servicing vending machines in the early 90's.
    Encounter #1 was in an elevator at the Blackhawk Hotel in Davenport, IA. I was on my way up to a members-only club on the top floor to service a cigarette machine when the elevator stopped and David Sanborn got on. The second was while servicing a snack machine on the 1st floor when BB King appeared behind me, telling his son, James, that he needed a roll of Life Savers for the bus. They played the previous night and were on their way out of town.

emisilly likes this.
  7. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For now, just the one....
    upload_2019-12-22_23-51-1.png Not the guy...Eva, Miss universe 1969. Her husband and my brother where good freinds. I have stayed at their house in Kent, and with a few freinds, my wife and I had a memorable skiing holiday at her Swiss lodge by Bourg-Saint-Bernard.

I have met other famous people, but few so pleasant, so good looking, or who have been in three James Bond films.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    stevemc, emisilly and Obsessed like this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

IMG_0236.jpg
    Sonny Rhodes and I at the Long Beach Blues Festival.
    IMG_0240.jpg
    Big Bill Morganfield and I at the Doheny Blues Festival.
    IMG_0241.jpg
    Joe Louis Walker and I at the Doheny Blues Festival.
    IMG_0243.jpg
    Pinetop Perkins and I at the Doheny Blues Festival.
    IMG_0247.jpg
    Seymour Duncan and I at a 2nd meeting camera facing across the street from San Antonio Winery in Los Angeles, standing in front of my 1954 Ford F100.

Attached Files:

stevemc, emisilly, 24 track and 3 others like this.
  9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Never made an effort, or really care. But:

Willis Reed
    Peter Frampton (nextdoor neighbor right after Comes Alive)
    Frank Purdue
    Tommy Newsom
    John Scofield
    A cousin is a US senator.

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Well, I knew I forgot someone.

Sissy Spacek. Met her twice. The first time, I was taking my clients into a movie theater in Charlottesville. (I was a social worker then with "retarded" and autistic adults.) I noticed her in back sitting beside her husband. Once I got the clients seated and the who-gets-what? snack array sorted out, I went up to her. "Miss Spacek, I'm sorry to interrupt your night out, but one of my clients is crazy about you. I haven't told her you're here so please say no if you don't want to, but if you're okay with it, can she stop by on our way out and shake your hand?"

"Oh, I'll be glad to go down and say hi to her right now." Which she did. My client's jaw was on the floor, and then she whooped for joy and made Sissy disappear inside a bear hug. Sissy was great with her, and the other clients who recognized her. Friendly without being patronizing at all.

On our way out, the client bear-hugged Sissy again. "You should play my sister in your next movie," she told Sissy. "Her husband is a jerk but she's really nice, and she's down to 250 pounds now, too!" Sissy's own husband was fine with it all, with a big grin on his face.

A year or two later, I was walking with a friend and her kids at the Albemarle County Fair. Sissy stopped us to tell my friend that she had beautiful daughters, which she did, and to give us her coil of ride tickets, as she was leaving soon and didn't want them to go to waste.

Both times, she seemed very much someone's sister. Friendly, direct, and with very cute freckles.

stevemc, joealso, JeffBlue and 4 others like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You know, it occurs to me that I got the New Orleans Host thing all wrong. I was making sure a well admired person from out of town got that recommendation on Offshore Fishing or my favorite eating spots, that otherwise I was doing right just leaving them some space. Some of us locals made a point of helping touring musicians get around incognito, or if someone I didn't know interrupted me and said "I heard ABC (famous actor) was right around here, could you direct me?" I would send them in the wrong direction. But, maybe what I should've been doing was offering them someplace to unwind and a home cooked meal. Ah, well. And I'd see Alex Chilton at the market, and acknowledge him with a nod, but figured by that time he knew Mid City as well as I did.

stevemc likes this.
  12. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I can't recall if I've ever heard any bad things about her, but my wife and I just have it in our heads that she's an unpleasant person. We refer to her as "Hell-of-a-(fill in the blank)."

Eons ago (25 years?), I was at a business meeting at a strip club in Hollywood (?!... not my suggestion), and Lemmy was there playing pool

Her husband Jack Fisk is a very respected production designer. They've been married since 1974. I've interviewed him several times about his work and he was very nice. His wife was never mentioned.

stevemc and naveed211 like this.
  13. Skully

I haven't talked to a lot of authors in my time, but 18 years ago when I was writing a collection of features coinciding with Muhammad Ali's 60th birthday, I talked to Gay Talese, George Plimpton and Budd Schulberg ("What Makes Sammy Run?," "A Face in the Crowd"). The funny thing is that I didn't need to go through their publishers, agents or publicists. They were all listed in the telephone directories. (That just shows you how desperate writers are.) Talese and Plimpton were easy. Schulberg was a little harder. The first Budd Schulberg I found was in Florida, but the number I called connected me to the widow of another Budd. I finally tracked him down in Long Island, NY (IIRC). I got to relate this story recently to one of his cousins, Matt Tolmach, who produces the "Jumanji" movies.

I talked to Larry McMurtry about "Brokeback Mountain." He was very grumpy, but in almost a comical way.

stevemc and emisilly like this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Dr. Fred Hansen the 1964 Gold medalist in the pole vault was my dentist until he retired.

Spent about 30 minutes talking with Pete Rose. Really nice man and fun to talk to.

Posted before about it. I sat at a luncheon table with Stephen Hawking.

stevemc and emisilly like this.
  15. Skully

Lorne Greene had a reputation for being a very unpleasant guy. My impression is that Bob Hope was so desperate to be loved by the world, like so many comedians, that he was more likely to be nice, as a general rule. Then again, comedians tend to be bitter, nasty people, so...

Just today, I was listening to Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, and they talked about how in his dotage Bob would go out to the Burbank airport named after him to so he could be recognized. I don't know if that's true, but a friend of mine walked into him at a local supermarket very late in his life and exclaimed, "Hey, Bob, how's it going?!" I think Bob was a little taken aback. Bob was also regularly seen at the Bob's Big Boy near his house.

Circa 2001 or 2002, I did a story about Bob's USO work. I didn't talk to Bob. They just gave me a canned quote. And when I asked an old collaborator how Bob was doing, he said he heard that "his vitals are good." Never a good sign. My wife went over to his house in Toluca Lake (down the street from her sister's house) to pick up some press materials for me, which would just be emailed today. Not surprisingly, she didn't catch a glimpse of Bob.

emisilly likes this.
  16. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Many, but my fave is when I was 18, heavily dosed, and I walked into a National grocery store (that was its name) to buy some beverages for my car-riding friends. In the checkout line ahead of me buying gum was Robbie Bachman. I started to say something, but he held his finger to his lips, so I grabbed a MAD magazine and he signed it. Went back to the mighty Rambler, and people were like, “Dude!”

JeffBlue likes this.
  17. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Met Emo Philips a few years ago after he did a show near my neck of the woods. He was very willing to do the meet and greet with anyone who wanted to meet him after doing his stand up. He was kind enough to take a few pics and sign whatever you wanted, which in my case was copies of his stand up albums. B0266552-201A-4EA1-80E2-013DBBB3F306.jpeg 6785ECD8-A535-4E51-B01C-3C3482442AFE.jpeg 59141483-BAC1-4DBA-A2D1-817D5FA9D408.jpeg

emisilly likes this.
  18. Charlie Bernstein

Brilliant!

I had nothing against Nader, but I hated the place I worked. One night he called and asked for another guy who worked there.

I said, "Who's calling?"

He said, "Ralph."

I knew perfectly well which Ralph, but I said "Ralph who?"

He said, "Nader."

I said, "Can you spell that?"

He did. And I didn't get fired the next day.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Just thought of some more: Three Dog Night. Had pizza with them across the street from a theater where I worked.

It's amazing how many people are getting named here I never heard of.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Wow. Small world. My wife and I watched a DVD of "A Face In the Crowd" two hours ago. The special-features part of the disk included a lot of conversation with Schulberg.

That Cal Webway and Skully like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.