1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep.. loads.

2. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Yes, yes I have.

3. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Holic

Yup. I met Lemmy at a Danko Jones gig in Camden in the early 00s. He was very polite, no ego, just a lovely friendly guy.

Also round about the same time I literally bumped into Queen's Rodger Taylor in the West End of London. He was in a hurry and rushing through the crowds to get somewhere. En route he delivered me a shoulder-barge. No harm done though.

JeffBlue, emisilly and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have had a pretty charmed life, having grown up in the Hamptons on Long Island, additionally I have had many brushes with celebs and when I was doing the dolphin/seal rescue stuff, met many as well(those aren't "normal" people living in those oceanfront mansions) "Hello, my name is Roger(Waters) my son found a seal on the beach that appears in need of help."

Between 1981 and 1984, anytime Joe Perry was touring through the area(which was a lot) I was always allowed backstage before the show to hang out, for some reason, we had quite a few good conversations.

I also had lunch with Courtney Cox and Aidan Quinn twice over two days on a movie set and also hung out with them between scenes. They were super nice. At one point, I found myself sitting next to Ms. Cox on the beach just having a normal conversation for about 30 minutes while she chain smoked Marlboros.

JeffBlue, Obsessed, stevemc and 3 others like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I was Danko Jones’ opening act (solo) once when I lived in Prince George, BC, about 20 years ago.
    The venue was Dan Engelland’s 4th Ave. Blues Club.
    I didn’t get to meet him, because I had to go to another gig.
    Very talented guy, Mr. Jones!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

When i was living in London in the late 90's Nick Cave was a regular customer of the restaurant where i was working, also Bob Geldof showed up a couple of times, Jamiroquai with his Ferrari and some others, but what really almost gave me an heart attack is when i saw David Bowie and his wife Iman walking on Fulham Road, since Bowie is the reason why my love for the music started i just couldn't believe what i was seeing....

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

One of my student jobs at LSU was working at the Pete Maravich assembly center. Mostly putting down and taking up the hardwood floor for basketball games.
    Some pretty good concerts came through back then and we got to work with the Roadies.
    It was awesome! We saw a lot of folks at a distance but I was close to a few.
    Guns and Roses came in and I met Axl and got to hang with Slash's girlfriend as she waited outside for pizza to be delivered. No kidding.

Past that I was side by side at a urinal with Keith Urban one night in Nashville.

8. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Tele-Meister

I met Lemmy from Motorhead at an airport in Bristol in the UK, also Slash in a bar in LA. He was at the end of the bar dressed normally drinking Jack. Quiet guy

JeffBlue and emisilly like this.
  9. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Playing golf with a couple of friends at Jumping Brook CC in Jersey, and the starter comes over and asks if a member could fill up a foursome with us...turned out to be Joe Pesci the actor. Very pleasant, friendly guy. Took off right from the last hole with the staff driving him to his car...we went to the bar and he had a surprise round paid for us.

10. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

This isn't exactly a meeting but the superintendent of schools in my home town was old friends with a guy who wrote poems and sang songs, so when we were in grade school the friend would come in and read us poems and sing songs sometimes. I was much older when I found out that Shel Silverstein was pretty famous and didn't go to every kid's school...

11. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I called a radio station to request a song. Turns out the dj was a friend of and on the phone with Dennis Miller. We had a three way conversation. It was nice. Talked to him about the delay when he talked to the astronaut/cosmonaught on that awards show he hosted.

emisilly and That Cal Webway like this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Ringo Starr and Rod Stewart visited the store I worked at in Vegas ON MY DAY OFF!!!
    I’ve met plenty of famous folks but a Beatle is the only one I’d really be gobsmacked over.
    Ringo was very cool because there was a great lady who worked there with me who happened to be from Liverpool. She was Ringo’s age and they had a good conversation and he even signed an autograph for her (which I understand he doesn’t ever do).
    The ‘celebrity’ who was nicest to me was Albert Lee. Hell of a nice guy.
    Most of the celebrities I’ve met make me glad I’m not famous. Seems a bit of a tortuous lifestyle when you’re out in the public.

JeffBlue, Bendyha, emisilly and 2 others like this.
  13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

Rick Turner called me in 2013 in response to an inquiry about having one of his Compass Rose ukuleles made for me.

I could not believe I was actually talking to the legend himself. He was so kind and informative.

I couldn’t swing the cost of his custom uke at the time and then he stopped making them. But hopefully he will make a few available in the near future.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Chip, JeffBlue and brookdalebill like this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I’d say the most famous person I’ve met would be a former Vice President of the US, who was running for president at the time. I volunteered to help out at an event.

As a volunteer, we were told to arrive at the outdoor venue well before the event started. They had sort of a cattle call and we were organized into groups. I got put into a group that was 99% Nam vets - they all seemed to assume I was one of them. I didn’t have the heart to tell them I missed the draft by one year.

Then we were told we’d be working as a kind of adjunct security force. The Secret Service briefed us on things to look for, and made sure we knew each and every one of them and where they’d be in the crowd in case we had something to report. Then the candidate appeared suddenly and did a quick handshake line with us. We were told we’d have sort of a debrief after the event.

The event went off without a hitch, and as crowd was dispersing we were told that the debrief was actually a photo opportunity. They assembled us up, along with the other volunteers, on a grassy patch by the road through the park which had hosted the event.

A line of black Suburbans came and stopped on the road. Out pops the VP and guards. He walked 50’ to where we were, a photographer took the group photo, and he went back to the Suburbans. All done in about 30 seconds. They mailed us the photo a couple of weeks later.

stevemc and emisilly like this.
  15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

You and me both!

JeffBlue likes this.
  16. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve also got a whole laundry list of race car drivers I’ve met and talked with, along with two successive head honchos at BMW Motorsport. Hang around endurance races and you never know who you’ll bump into.

David Hobbs
    Jim Busby
    Juan Pablo Montoya
    Brian Redman
    Hans Stuck
    Patrick Dempsey (yeah he’s an actor too)
    Bobby Rahal
    Joey Hand
    Bill Auberlin
    John Edwards
    And many others

fnkmstr, Obsessed and 24 track like this.
  17. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I ran into Geraldo once. Actually he ran into me. It was at a very crowded press briefing. He was barging and elbowing his way through the crowd, expecting the waters to part for him. I realized he was heading straight for me. As he reached me, I planted my feet, and he literally bounced off of me. He was quite startled, but when I looked him straight in the eyes, still not moving, he mumbled, "Excuse me," and went around. A fond memory...

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I cut O.J. Simpson's lawn for a few months when I was a kid, back in the early '70s. It was...interesting.

Ditto some of the Buffalo Sabres' lawns, and shoveled their driveways during that era's very snowy winters. Don Luce and Craig Ramsey. Nice guys, though often limping and woozy from the prior nights' war wounds/training camp soreness. Their wives were genuine and kind.

Met a couple of our state's governors at university-related functions. Not exactly famous-famous, but hobnobbers with muckier-mucky orbits, themselves. One guv was gracious, the other entered a memorial service for 32 people murdered on our campus smiling and chatting about his freakin' golf game with the univ. president. During the memorial he was yawning behind the program he would lift to his face that he would pretend to be reading. He had mastered the self-puppeting art of showing a pained frown of anguished pity when he lowered the program from his face. Phlaming phonies abound.

Hitchhiking (like an idiot), I got picked up by Buffalo's mayor, driving his own car to fetch his wife some cough drops. He talked like Jimmy Cagney's uncle, with that added Upper Midwest/Fargo-ish tang. "Ya go to school, den, eh, kid? Dat's good. Stay off the drugs, stay on the books, and hey, how the co-eds lookin' this year? Nothin' like a warm day on a college campus to take your mind off the books, ya know? We're fixin' the pipes under this part of Main St. next year." Hilarious.

19. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat Tele-Meister

Met Hank Williams Jr. at country concert in Ohio. Very nice guy and down to earth. And he was the one who initiated the conversation with me!!

JeffBlue and emisilly like this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I spent 4 years in Washington DC. Met a couple of Presidents and every Senator/Congressman you ever heard of. Met a ton of 4 star Generals (worked for about a dozen). Colin Powell stands head and shoulders above anyone. Such a class act. I met all of AC/DC just before Back in Black came out.

Chip, Obsessed, stevemc and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.