1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for the Grand Funk ear worm. :)

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I met a bunch in the 80's working backstage at concerts and some actors and politicians on drunken nights out on the town.

Johnny Winter
    Michael Hutchence and the rest of INXS
    The guys in Madness
    Mark Knopfler and dire straits
    Angry Anderson and the guys in Rose Tattoo.
    Doc Neeson and the guys in the Angels
    Peter Garret and guys in midnight oil
    Kylie Minogue, Jason from neighbours.:D
    Jimmy Barnes
    Jim Keays and the guys in the Master Apprentices
    A few F1 drivers at a grand prix I had to wear Ayrton Senna costume at and walk around the private spectators for photo shoots.
    The guys in Hoodoo Gurus
    Paul Kelly and the coloured girls
    Ross Wilson and daddy cool
    Long John Baldry
    Many others I forget right now.

3. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Recovering radio vet...nearly 20 years in broadcast media, primarily rock and new country. I’ve met more than a few of my heroes, mostly intentionally. A few I ran into at AA meetings in major music cities (and a few I probably met in bars too)

Leaving radio for healthcare - and met three of the most famous folks I could imagine. One had secret service protection, one was signed in under his real name, and I was surprised to see who was looking back at me when I entered the room (never more star struck in my life) and one was in shackles, and had federal guards.

And lastly...Andy Griffith was my next door neighbor in Manteo North Carolina for a year or so. He had a nice place on the waterfront, and I lived in the condos next door -

4. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Met BB King when I was 17. So much in awe I could barley speak but he was warm and very understanding.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I've met a few, but only one was really memorable - SRV. Not because I was a fan (which I was) but because he was so down to earth, so utterly unassuming and humble. Heck, I'd describe him as self conscious. You wouldn't have ever guessed he was famous if you didn't know who he was.

I was a kid then. Now I couldn't care less. Most celebrities these days don't even deserve their fame, or at least don't have the emotional maturity to handle it. It has become pathological.

JeffBlue, emisilly, DonM and 2 others like this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, nome that I care to admit....Well ok Eric Estrada. Phoenix Airport. Yawn.

7. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Most of mine are authors. I worked as a marketing guy for a book publisher for many years, and met a ton of heroes some of whom were terrifying in their intellect and accomplishments, but nice folks anyway: Kurt Vonnegut, John Updike, Philip Roth, William Least Heatmoon, Jim Harrison, Thomas McGuane, Tim O'Brien, Pat Conroy and many more. Once sat next to the poet Donald Hall for a Red Sox game.

Musically, I once chased Peter Gabriel from the concert hall back to his hotel just to say thanks on the sidewalk. Once I stepped into an elevator with five other people already in it. They're looking out, I'm looking in as the doors close: Lou Reed, Laurie Andersen, Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant and Jackson Brown. I said "um, Hi". Quiet ride otherwise.

Edit by moderator: No problem saying that you met a politician, but just leave at that. Any further comment is political and will be removed and you will receive at least a warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2019
    JeffBlue, stevemc, P Thought and 3 others like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

doing back stage , roady work I met a few
    Kate Hudson she's a cutie and tiny little thing we talked for about 20 minutes( black crows)
    High fived Gene Simmons and talked to Eric Singer for about 40 minutes during the setup
    Met Elwood at the ZZTOP concert got up and personal with Billy G's set up! got Billy G's guitar pick from the concert
    Alan jackson
    Jason Bonham
    got to work with Sammy Bones guitar tech with Cinderella, and Toby Keith
    Robbie Bachman and Fred Turner BTO we talked on several ocasions he once gave me a ride to a gas station when I ran out of gas in front of his house , then back again to my van
    powder blues , Doug and the slugs , worked sound for them
    Jeff Healey met him worked sound for him super nice kid -Talent plus!
    R&B allstars did sound for them
    Al forman
    Jammed with Keith Scott ( bryan adams)

what I got to know about these guys is that they are regular people ( most of them) some more fun than others

9. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Marianne Faithful asked me for directions once in the 80s in London.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Met many working as night auditor in 70s. Nicest we’re Davey Jones and Chi Chi Rodriguez. Sat and had long chat with Melanie.

Chip, JeffBlue, Chunkocaster and 7 others like this.
  11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

From about ‘68 to ‘80 I worked at a performance venue. I met a lot of cool performers from that era - Anne Murray, Hoyt Axton ( who gave me a signed copy of his live double album), lots of members of touring rock groups of the era. Nicest people? I think Anne Murray and Wayne Newton came across as the nicest, least pretentious people. Others, like Nana Mouskouri and Bill Cosby not so much. Lots of stories from that period of my life.

12. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I met Tiny Tim and John Travolta while working at an 24 hour grocery store when I was a teenager. I recall that I ran the cash register when they bought something from me.

A few years later, I met Ian Gillian of Deep Purple at a local concert. This was during the horrible days of Disco. Ian was not with Deep Purple at the time and was touring with his own band. It was at a small local venue, and I doubt that there were 100 people there. Pretty sad. A friend with us was very much into Deep Purple and even named his son Ian. After the concert, my friend spoke to Ian Gillian and mentioned his son. Ian signed autographs and even invited us to step into the tour bus.

I’m sure none of theses celebrities would ever remember me.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I used to work in a bookstore that had signings and the like. Didn't work all of them or meet the people each time I did, but there were a few.

Kat von D was a sweetheart. Stayed behind after the event so that staff could get pictures and autographs.

The situation surrounding Lynda Carter was more stereotypically "celebrity", but she seemed fairly down-to-Earth, herself.

Trick Daddy "wrote" a novel (I only "" because, if I recall, it was more ghost-written with his name slapped on it. James Patterson works the same way after providing some ideas and major plot points, so he's in good company). We had an in-store event, sold a few, but nothing after that. Eventually they were returned to the publisher. Some weeks later our community relations person (the one who sets up signing, book fairs and the like) takes a call:
    "Do you have 'Magic City'?"
    (After searching our inventory) "No sir, I'm sorry, we did but not anymore."
    "DO YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS? THIS IS TRICK DADDY."
    "I'm sorry, Mr. Daddy."

There was a lady with a local news show who had put out a memoir, or something. A "fan" came in to give her a bouquet of roses, but had to settle for leaving it with one of her "people". Turns out the bouquet had a dagger in its center. That was an interesting night at work.

emisilly likes this.
  14. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I once had to go to a hardware store to get a weird socket. Streets were all messed up for a film shoot. Coming out, there was a guy who looked like Tom Waits sitting outside the door; we nodded “hello” to each other. I later realized there’s no such thing as someone who looks “like Tom Waits.”

I’ve had a few encounters, most amounted to nothing. I did work the green room at a large music festival, and got a very thorough education in who thought they were all that and a bag of chips, and who was cool beans, at least among the semi-famous. Very enlightening. I did end up with the milk crate that was used to take beer on stage for Los Lobos, though. A treasured possession.

15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Charlie Daniels is so cool! I was making a delivery at a hotel in Reading, PA. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw these buses with “CDB” painted on the side. I knew he was coming to our area. This was about 1980-1981. After I made the delivery, I went to the front desk to get a signature for the delivery. After the girl signed, I asked her if Mr. Daniels was around. She said yes, he is right over there in the dining room (this was mid to late morning). I walked in, and stood there sheepishly, and saw him and his band sitting at a big table. He noticed me right away, and said, “c’mon over here boy.” He said, “what’s goin’ on?” I said, “ Mr. Daniels, may I please have your autograph?” He said, “sure son, c’mon over.” My heart sunk, because I was such a huge fan of his music! He was such a gentleman, and I will never forget that experience! I still have that autograph. I will try to dig it up for proof. Man, what a genuine, regular guy! I was about 22-23, and had just started playing out on acoustic guitar in bars. Great times!

Edit: I still play his song, “Behind Your Eyes”, and I have to post it here, because it wasn’t that well known, but it’s one of those songs that kicks you in the butt, but you can’t feel the kick!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

While working in Silicon Valley I had a "celeb" come into my office yelling at me 6" from my face with about 50 eyewitnesses peeking over their office partitions ... only too often.:oops:

Yup, that guy.

He called me "God" in a good way once though.:cool::lol: BTW, if you are a user, you owe me for that one.

The same plastic surgeon that fixed Heisman Trophy winner, Jim Plunkett's nose while at Stanford, fixed my broken high school football smashed nose the same week. Yea, yea, yea, okay ... a stretch.

When the Beatles were playing at Candlestick Park, my buddy and I road our bikes over to the the motel they were staying at and got to see them jump out of their limo into the back entrance.:cool::cool::cool::cool: I think my sister still hates me today for not taking her with us.:cry:

17. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Sylvester Stallone. He's really short.

JeffBlue and emisilly like this.
  18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Working in the #1 Martin, Taylor, and Gibson dealer here, I met quite a few famous people. Jimmy Buffett came in once, and I didn't know who he was until after he'd left. Kirk Hammett owns a house here and was surfing buddies with one of the other guys that worked there, so he came in a lot. Kirk is real chill and down to earth, no ego at all. Some other famous Hawaii musicians came in a lot too, people like Cyril, Henry Kapono, and Yvonne Elliman. Yvonne was super cool. She cracked me up when she told me that when she was in Clapton's band, he told her she played electric guitar too loud, lol. Naveen from Lost would come in and look at Martins, and one time he had his girlfriend with him, and I talked to her for quite some time. It wasn't until they had left that I realized it was Barbara Hershey I was talking to! She was super cool too. And billionaire collector Mac Yasuda would come in all the time too. He'd been friends with the owners of the shop for many years. He has a huge collection of vintage Fenders, Gibsons (both acoustics, electrics, and banjos), Martins, and others. He also had a vast collection of vintage Martin and Kamaka ukes. At one time he owned 19 of the 91 original pre-war D45s. He once told me a story about how George hated being tagged a Beatle for his whole life, until one time he wanted a rare uke that Mac owned, and Mac didn't want to part with it, and George said "But I'm a Beatle". God Bless George, we miss him so. Mac also collects Nudie suits.
    I also made keys for a lot of famous people, 'cause before I worked at the guitar store, I was manager of the key shop in the largest Sears store here (now gone). I made keys for Jim Nabors, Richard Chamberlain, and Ken Watanabe, among others.
    And, finally, one time I was at the Jazz Cellar, which was a club that would bring in great but little known hard rock bands from LA, and also featured great local bands. I think it was a night when local guitar great Tom Hinson was playing there with his band, which he called the JTM45s, later to be called Big Dawg.
    Anyway, Tom called out to the audience "Anyone know what a JTM45 is?" to which I called back "It's a classic Marshall", and I started talking to a guy standing next to me at the bar with long blonde hair. We talked about gear and music for quite a while, and then I realized it was Brad Gillis. He was super cool and down to earth too.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Brian Wilson -1979. In a popular bar here. We chatted as I had driven 500 miles see the Beach Boys.
    He was a bit paranoid and his security guys were HUGE.

Chunkocaster and Digital Larry like this.
  20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I met Chuck Berry in a club in Marina del Rey. He was very friendly.

This guy came and visited my hospital in California.

1440D601-6003-4580-9B34-31A55D34C070.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.