1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

I am not a celeb worship person nobody gets out of this alive.. But have you had a encounter with someone famous? Mine is pretty cool I was wondering home from a trip to see my sister and need gas bad .I pulled into a truck stop and a big bus overheating with a Charlie Daniels logo.i met this man face to face he went back into his bus and had his fellow members sign a photo.. I will never forget that..

JeffBlue, f69tele, emisilly and 13 others like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I met quite a few well-known musicians at the NAMM shows I attended in the early 90s. Some were really cool, some were jerks. I suppose if I had to point out one that stands out, Lita Ford sat in my lap for a picture. Unfortunately, all of the photos from those trips disappeared in the midst of my divorce. Would love to have them still.

Toadtele, jannodude, JeffBlue and 9 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I met Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark.
    Me, and several hundred others, but it was a thrill!
    She was working for Coors on a “Beerwolf” tour, circa
    It was at a gig, I think some UT football function.
    I was about 30.
    She was charming, and mesmerizing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mentioned in another thread that I once brushed off some guy looking for directions and eventually found out through a newspaper article that he was Billy Joel.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Here’s another.
    When I worked at South Austin Music, I did some guitar repair for Bobby Whitlock, of Derek & The Dominos, about ten years ago.
    Bobby is a nice, talkative guy.
    He and I once discussed fitness routines (when I did them).
    He said he used a Bowflex.
    About a year after our discussion, he called me and asked me if I wanted his Bowflex.
    I explained that I was not in a position to buy it.
    He said “Coco (his extremely talented wife) wants it out of here, come and get it.”
    I borrowed a friend’s van, and a friend and we went to
    pick it up.
    In his living room are gold records for All Things Must Pass and Layla.
    Pretty groovy for an old fan like me.
    Bobby’s a nice cat!

Sounds Good, Chip, Dennyf and 27 others like this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I met JFK Jr. at a party in San Diego, CA in the summer of 1996. Super nice guy.

I met Garth Brooks about a year ago at the Chick-Fil-A nearest my house. He was just standing there waiting on his order. I recognized him, and we talked college football for about 6 or 8 minutes until they called his name (he used his middle name, Troy). Super nice guy.

I was walking through the New Orleans airport in December of 2012 and saw Sean Payton sitting by himself in an empty terminal. I walked over and talked to him for about 3 or 4 minutes. He was not all that nice, but I'm sure he had a lot on his mind in the middle of a season-long suspension.

JeffBlue, emisilly, djh22 and 4 others like this.
  7. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Walked up face-to-face with Brian May one afternoon at O'Hare. Said Hi.That was it. He was taller than I imagined.

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I met Santa Claus … that's the best I can do :)

Sanity Inn, bcorig, OldDude2 and 14 others like this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No one more famous

10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Years ago, working at an activity center for developmentally disabled adults, I met Ken Kesey and Teddy Kennedy on the same day, at the Special Olympics in Eugene. Kesey was playing "hot-hand" with people; I played him. He was good.

I was at the next urinal to Commander Cody once, during a set break at the Palomino in the '70s. No handshake, but we exchanged very brief pleasantries.

When I was in the 8th and 9th grades, the infamous Jim Jones, who was a teacher at the elementary school where my dad was principal, came to our house several times for dinner, along with his wife Marcie. Creepy eyes, I thought.

Oh, yes, and during college, in an otherwise empty student-union snack bar, I came across Tom Wolfe, who was due to speak at our convocation later that day. He wore a three-piece lemon-chiffon suit and white patent-leather shoes; I had only my hippy-patched overalls and my long hair. I think we each struck the other strange.

P.S. My sister ran into Joe Namath at I think the Indianapolis airport, and had him autograph a scruffy old softball she had with her. She gave it to me and I still have it.

stevemc, Texicaster, emisilly and 4 others like this.
  11. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I worked at a bicycle shop in Houston that was frequented by A-listers and rich folks. I was the manager and usually ended up helping celebs.
    One that I most remember was Hakeem Olajuwon. He is realllly tall. He brought his daughter in for a bike, and for a six year old, she too was reallly tall. It was a very pleasant experience.
    Another time was playing basketball in the University of Houston practice gyms.
    In pickup games the rule was first come, first use of the court, so I would sometimes end up playing with realllly good players. I played plenty of games with guys who went on to play in the NBA, and one guy who played in the NFL. Anyone remember Robert Newhouse, played for the Cowboys back in the '70s? The guy was maybe five and a half feet tall, and about five and a half feet wide. Legs like big-arse tree trunks. It was amazing to see him easily dunk the ball!

Mark

Addendum from Wiki about RN:
    "Considered small for his position, he played bigger than his size. Newhouse was built very low to the ground and had enormous leg strength. He thrived on second effort, picking up the nicknames The House and The Human Bowling Ball. He was tough to bring down, "like trying to tackle a fire hydrant," at 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m) and 209 pounds (95 kg), with arguably the largest thighs in the NFL (44 inches (110 cm) in circumference together)."
    Note - NO Way RN is 5'10". I played hoops with the guy and at 5'9' I am a LOT taller than he is.

bcorig, emisilly and telestratosonic like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic

I studied photography at the Yosemite Workshops under Ansel Adams. Couch surfed at Wynn Bullock's house. Participated in a chemistry seminar under Linus Pauling. And...

I spent my career in the music industry. Famous? Infamous is more like it I think.

13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I recognized Tom Waits as I watched SF in the World Series years ago while I was at a bar in the East Bay. It's pretty surreal when you see someone out doing regular anonymous stuff like the rest of us mortals. He was very nice to me after I requested an autograph (I've passed on a bunch of this behavior, but couldn't with him). It was difficult to look at him honestly.

14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've met a ton of famous musicians, some political folks, a couple Indy 500 drivers , and other sports figures, most importantly, Carl Erskine, former Dodger pitcher, who was instrumental in starting the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and also Special Olympics. Carl is a great harmonica player, and he and I have played hundreds of gigs over the last 35 years. A really nice guy, and a close friend.

bcorig, VWAmTele, Texicaster and 4 others like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've actually had many.
    Mostly because my uncle was a very well known actor...at least among his peers in NY, and we spent a lot of time together.
    I used to forget that he was kind of famous because he was just my Uncle Lenny.
    But one of the coolest, in just a funny way, was walking through Greenwich Village with Len, and just as I'm thinking, "Oh, dang...that's Christopher Walken! I love living in NY!" I hear, "Hello, Leonard." "Hello, Christopher."

stevemc, P Thought, emisilly and 3 others like this.
  16. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

I've feared common folk recognizing me for years. So far though, I've skated by undetected.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve met a lot of famous people in my life. Most are good people- just like regular folks. It’s about the same ratio whether they’re famous or not.

Without a doubt, my favorite moment of all happened at work one day. I sold cars at a Mercedes-Benz dealership in CT. We were told that we were going to have a vehicle on the showroom for awhile that wasn’t for sale, and that it belonged to a VIP. We were basically just going to babysit it for a few weeks, and in return we would have a cool vintage MB to display in our showroom. The funny thing is, I don’t quite remember the exact year and model it was. Anyway, not important.

It was a slow morning one day, and curiosity got the best of me so I decided to investigate the mystery Mercedes to try to find a clue as to the owner’s identity. I got in and immediately my eyes went straight down to the drivers door pocket. It had a notepad in it. I pulled it out of the pocket and it was already unfurled to a page. There were scribbles and notes all over the page. It seemed to be several paragraphs with cross outs and arrows and notes all over it. Looking closer, I began making out the words scribbled on the pad. “Nibbling on sponge cake. Watching the sun bake. All those tourists covered with oil.”

My heart stopped when it finally sunk in I was reading Jimmy Buffett’s notes as he scratched out “Margaritaville”.

Anyway, it doesn’t quite follow the op, but I figured it was noteworthy.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Walking along Kailua beach, Oahu late one afternoon..no one around except a couple walking towards us a few hundred yds away...

as we got closer and passed I saw the bloke was Dennis Connor the yachtsman...

wow, dennis connor! I say, how's it going?... he paused to shake our hands and engage in some americas cup jive as we were sailors too.... shared some laughs and travel tales... then continued our afternoon walks...

our "arch enemy on the water" was a pretty cool guy....:)

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

While I was in the restroom at a jazz gig in the 70s, I came out to see Barney Kessel chatting up my girlfriend.

Mathematician George Glauberman was a group theory icon at the U of Chicago. He patiently worked with me on my thesis on group theory in music for a few years, fairly intensely near the end. It was exhilarating to try to please him and anticipate him in my writing. There was a recent movie about the Indian mathematician Ramanujan who came to work with GH Hardy at Oxford. Ramanujan bristled at having to write proofs for his theories, which he "knows" are right. Yeah, me too. I'm exactly like Ramanujan. That is, in terms of not wanting to do proofs. Like Hardy, Glauberman insisted, telling me that while intuition can lead to insights, it is often incorrect.

Glauberman once recommended I hire a tutor. Email was new in academics at the time, but I emailed a message to the math students at Chicago, telling them that I was working with Glauberman. It was around 1993 that I sent the email. I walked home and found 15 replies from students around the world. In some circles, I have gotten a lot of second-hand prestige off of him. (I have literally walked through a crowded roomful of mathematicians and had them step aside whenever they saw my ID tag.)

20. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

I met Connie in Little Rock but did not partake.

joealso, loco gringo, DaveGo and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.