1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Famous Peavey SS players/users

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by srblue5, Oct 23, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

This has probably been covered before, but I've recently been rediscovering and enjoying my old Peavey Bandit that I bought used a few years ago for cheap. Started out as my backup/knockabout amp but quickly became one of my preferred amps for certain gigs and settings. Sounds awesome with my Tele too!

Given how long they've been around, I imagine many famous professionals have used Peavey SS amps. Are there any that have used them at least semi-regularly (i.e. not just occasionally as rented backline)?

So far, I know of a few myself:

- Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) - Mentioned using Peavey SS amps in the early 2000s. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos (one audience-filmed) where it looks like there are '80s era Peavey SS amps onstage. Not sure if he still uses them.
    - Billy Flynn (Chicago Blues session guitarist) - Looks like he has an early '80s Bandit. I read a magazine interview where he mentioned using it on his album in 2017. I've seen a few pictures where he has gigged with it.
    - Johnny Copeland - I know he used a Peavey T-series guitar and had a Peavey amp (as seen in his guest turn with SRV at Montreux) but was it SS? Hybrid? A Dumble hidden in disguise?
    - JJ Cale - It might have been a rental but I think he had a Peavey amp in the late '70s or '80s. I saw one in his live-in-the-studio video with Leon Russell (Paradise Studios).

Any others? Or any corrections to the above?

2. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Just about any top pedal steel player has used Peavey amps at one time or another.
    Now it seems most are going for tubes in the form of Fender Silverfaces.
    But, go to a steel guitar convention, & the stage is lined with PVs.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

PIXIES guitarist Joey Santiago played a Bandit and recorded with it, see Video at 3:07

Robert Quine used a Bandit (live and on the Records) with Lou Reed.

Hear the solo at 2:15, it's a Bandit:

D4YvWY7XoAAz16v.jpg

Jon Spencer
    (Blues X-plosion) with his Bandit:

BiJEEePRRyq9xse4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    srblue5 and JRapp like this.
  4. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Michael Anthony, bass player for VH, now playing with Sammy H, uses Peaveys

Also notably, Regi Wooten, Special 130.

Also, not famous, but ME!
    20181110_105009-1.jpg

But I do love tubes so my main small venue gig is Classic 20MH, larger gig Triumph 60.

IMG_20190731_174252080.jpg 20181120_084013-1.jpg

srblue5, BB and tidalcast like this.
  5. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

You've got an enviable collection, my friend. Nice!

I like my Bandit but I'm on the lookout for a Studio Pro. I don't do very big gigs and I could use a lighter option.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Elvis Costello played through a Bandit on his famous/infamous SNL debut.

7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to say... a lot of video footage we see will include backline amps. This is especially true for festivals and TV appearances.

Check out all the footage of Chet Atkins, Ray Flacke, Albert Lee, Brent Mason, Vince Gill, etc... etc... playing through Peavey's. I did many opening shows for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in the 80's and Jeff Hanna always requested a Nashville 400 or a Special 130 in that era... which happens to be their biggest era. I see Redd Volkaert using Peavey's all the time. Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd) used a 70's Peavey Mace for a lot of his recording and tours although that amp is a hybrid.... SS front end and Tube power.

Peavey's don't hurt a player or his tone... they just confuse those that can't figure out why the player would be plugged into one ;)

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Merle and the Strangers had a Peavey deal in the eighties, too; Roy Nichols played Peavey guitars occasionally during that time, and the stages were wall-to-wall Peavey amps. At least one of his albums (I forget which, maybe Big City?) had a note on the back cover that read "The Strangers use Peavey amplifiers".

Norman Hamlet was still playing steel through a Peavey amp last time I saw the band, in November 2015.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Check out a blues guitarist named Jay Owens. He uses SS Peavey's and gets some killer, killer tones.

srblue5 likes this.
  10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Jerry Reed used Peaveys as mentioned above so did Roy Nichols and Merle Haggard . SO the old solid state vs tubes is a mute point lol. They all sounded great ! You want to hear Roy Nichols tear one off on a Peavey Session 500 with an MXR distortion pedal check out "Working man's blues" on the 1976 Austin City Limits. Another one is the "East bound and Down " The only Jerry Reed tune I ever learned and the first lead I learned pretty much note for note. Also noted above Johnny Clyde Copeland Used that Peavey hybrid the VTX I believe and when he played with SRV and used that white T-60 I loved his tone . It was very meaty compared to SRV's I just thought it was better. No effects or gimmicks just a loud cranked amp. By the way the Maces Skynyrd used were not the VT Version. also heavily modified as stated by Allen Collins. He stated the amps they used and the ones sold to the public were vastly different one reason that so many people were frustrated when they got a Mace and couldn't duplicate the sound. Another famous Southern band that used Peavey Maces were Molly Hachett and I believe 38 Special. I used to have a VT Peavey Classic and it was a great amp for the traditional country and blues I play . Someone I had just read about owned a regular Mace and a VT Mace and said the voicing is slightly different.

flinx and srblue5 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.