FAMILY GATHERING.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I had a family gathering yesterday that I had mixed feelings about. I was really looking forward to the reasons for the gathering but with much trepidation regarding my youngest brother, who is over from Sydney and is a trouble magnet with his drinking.

A quadruple baptism of my four grand kids in the same church that my own kids were baptised.
It went well, I'm very proud of my daughter's hard work and sacrifice in bringing those kids up in less than ideal circumstances. I just wish the priest had been more discrete in mentioning the grand kid's father several times throughout the service. That abusive sonofabitch is no longer in the picture (other than attacking my home a fortnight ago) and had been preventing this event from ever happening for years.

The reception/party afterwards was in a function suite at a local football (soccer) stadium with our brood(us, kids, grandkids:- 8 people), my family (parents, siblings, partners, children:- 24 people); Mrs K's family (parents, aunt:- 3 people) and about 10 others (our friends and my daughter's friends).

My troublemaking brother had a bad dose of heartburn as a result of non stop alcohol abuse since his arrival 3 weeks ago and opted to go home after an hour once he realised that nobody was prepared to join him in extreme alcohol sports.
I'd been dreading the all too often scenario that his drinking brings to these gatherings. Plus having to cope with my own health that's prevented/limited me from attending any of these over the last 4 or 5 years was front and centre in my mind, however my health behaved too and was rewarded with 16 hours sleep last night, so it looks highly possible that tomorrow's night class at luthier school will also be good to go.

The whole event reminds me of a line I read that Tom Petty said, possibly quoting someone else:
"Most things I worry about never happen anyway."

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I am glad the worst worries did not materialize. Also, it sounds like the passing reference to "other than attacking my home a fortnight ago" could spin off a tangent.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe, just maybe, he may be starting to realize there are problems with his actions and he removed himself from the situation. He may have been noticing problems where he lives before he came out. Or just couldn't find anyone to drink with and left. We can always hope.

It wasn't until I finally let things go (i stopped worrying about the things my older brother did) that I got rid of the stress in my life that I thought I didn't have control over. Best wishes for you and your family.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Glad everything went great. I was wondering about your big drunk brother…

I had a family gathering yesterday that I had mixed feelings about. I was really looking forward to the reasons for the gathering but with much trepidation regarding my youngest brother, who is over from Sydney and is a trouble magnet with his drinking.

A quadruple baptism of my four grand kids in the same church that my own kids were baptised.
It went well, I'm very proud of my daughter's hard work and sacrifice in bringing those kids up in less than ideal circumstances. I just wish the priest had been more discrete in mentioning the grand kid's father several times throughout the service. That abusive sonofabitch is no longer in the picture (other than attacking my home a fortnight ago) and had been preventing this event from ever happening for years.

The reception/party afterwards was in a function suite at a local football (soccer) stadium with our brood(us, kids, grandkids:- 8 people), my family (parents, siblings, partners, children:- 24 people); Mrs K's family (parents, aunt:- 3 people) and about 10 others (our friends and my daughter's friends).

My troublemaking brother had a bad dose of heartburn as a result of non stop alcohol abuse since his arrival 3 weeks ago and opted to go home after an hour once he realised that nobody was prepared to join him in extreme alcohol sports.
I'd been dreading the all too often scenario that his drinking brings to these gatherings. Plus having to cope with my own health that's prevented/limited me from attending any of these over the last 4 or 5 years was front and centre in my mind, however my health behaved too and was rewarded with 16 hours sleep last night, so it looks highly possible that tomorrow's night class at luthier school will also be good to go.

The whole event reminds me of a line I read that Tom Petty said, possibly quoting someone else:
"Most things I worry about never happen anyway."

From “Crawling Back To You” yeah.

Great song, line, artist. I believe he cribbed it from Mark Twain.