1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Family & Friends - I DO NOT want to join your MLM business

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Yikes - any time there's a "worm in a hole" story I'm with you - get the hell out of there (hot chick or not)

2. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

or Koolaid.

I tried koolaid when i stayed with a family in america as a kid. the red one, it rocked.

we don't have koolaid here, and if we did, nobody knows what a quart is, not even when we used Empirical. which we still do, but not quarts.

Can someone send me Koolaid?

er..

3. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

My sister does this with a company called Scentsy or something like that. She never got too big into it however, and she doesn't try to sell to me, so we're good!

4. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

sorry mods, i know the forum rules about replacing letters in swear words with stars. but it's really really needed.

F*****g hell!!!!

WHAT???

apart from the obvious shock at how insane that is, the query is raised in my head that I don't think thats how intestinal worms, specifically tape worms which i think is what her wildly scary mind is referencing, work. They actually stop you from gaining wait right?

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And if you're going to pull them out of you body, you're reaching down lower than that :lol:

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Many moons ago my bowling captain tried to convince me to enroll in one of those schemes so I agreed to talk to him at his house. After listening to his pitch I said "well, your house is no better than mine and your car is a rust bucket so NO thank you. Why would it work for me if it obviously doesn't work for you?"
    A few weeks later he opted out.

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

It's all one big mind suck!

AV techs, Amway, College degrees, POS talks, Guitar methods,
    Auto clubs, Jenny, Jared, Jerry Garcia..........shut it off!

8. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

I've actually done quite well with a marketing company. I get a nice check every month that I have grown larger over time for the last 20 years. I do understand its not for everybody, I ask if folks to look with an open mind and I also understand NO means NO ! I'll never lose a friendship over business, I have a few friends and family as customers since the beginning. If someone has no interest, that's fine with me. I have made many new friends along the way, but when someone is not interested, I will not ever bring it up again with them moving forward unless they ask me, none of them have ever asked me again so I respect their non interest
    Now I'll Shut Up and Play Some Guitar ....

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My Dad and Mom in Law are suckered into one of these every few years. My wife mentioned that they used to do Amway when she was a kid. After we got married we got involved in Amway with them. Products were OK, but Amway window wash works just about as good as Windex only three to four times the cost. After a while it was just another bill that we had on our plate as we had to continue to buy product. Then it was Melaluka, some Australian leave or something that had medicinal properties. They made all sorts of products out of its extract, some thing as Amway just not as many products. We bought into it as well, only quit after I noticed every time I washed with their moisturizing body wash I broke out like I rolled around in poison ivy. That finally ran its course, then it was electrical surge protectors, water softener systems, air duct cleaners, and the latest internet site registration. My in-laws are both in their 70's, and have always dreamed about owning a big house, having nice cars, and taking great vacations. They own their home which is three bedrooms, two full baths and two half baths, and has a three car garage. They have a newer car (buick) and a work truck. When my Dad in law needs a tool he goes and buys it. When my Mom in law wants to buy lots of groceries she does it. They go to see relatives all over the place when his work schedule allows and they will convince you that they don't have a dollar to their name.
    After fifteen years of buying into every get rich quick scheme (I forgot the recycled tire business that my dad in law put a lot of money in that fell through) that they bought into, I finally told them to quit offering me the opportunity to get rich with them. I told them I hoped that they did get rich and when they did I would give them the permission to spoil my kids as much as they wanted with their new found wealth. It really pains me to think of how much $$ they would have it they had invested all those funds in a 401K instead of Amway and everything else that came down the line.

10. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

In the 1980's (yeah, I'm old), many of us learned to run from MLM invitations, and that anyone organizing an 'event' and inviting everyone was possibly going to destroy their friendships.

I'd rather get those relentless forwarded jokes from friends by email (that are never opened) than ever get another invite to a MLM gathering.

11. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Maybe,

Oh, thank you for bringing this opportunity to my attention.
    I am already involved in another finance strategy and I am not at liberty to discuss the project at this time.

Or
    To the small crowd that assembles on my front porch, pounds on my front door, and tries to convince me that they know what I should believe and how I should live.
    I smile and tell them that the guy they work for speaks directly to me on a daily basis, and assures me our very personal relationship with him.
    That has cleared the porch pretty quickly.
    The a historic report from the past, when I had a front door.

The stoned street swami (swami XXX) during one of stand up. improves said
    "I don't claim to have a corner on the truth, but I do know that this is true,Any body that claims to have a corner on the truth wants something from you. Run away from them as fast as you can
    I heard this forty years ago and diligently paid close attention to his words of caution, he is spot on. I have found it to be a very useful filter.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

DING DING DING! You nailed it, exactly what it reminds me of.

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ha i had a roommate that went all bat**** with this water filter system she was selling. All of a sudden all our faucets had these filters on them...its was all backed up with psuedoscience, with the pitch invariably starting with "do you know whats in your drinking water?" uh yes I do because I homebrew beer and have the water report right here...she ended up hooking up with the dude from The Specials when they took her on the tour bus, the last we saw of her. we did keep the water pitcher though.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the young lady with worms was the most interesting character we've met out at garage sales. I seldom go anymore since my sis-in-law and wife go just about ever Saturday weather permitting.

The pair of 'em are getting ready to have their own annual event in a month or so. Last time it cost me 50 bucks 'cause I felt sorry for the sis since someone stole a surger she was selling 15 minutes after they opened for business. I felt sorry for her, asked how much she had it priced at and just forked over the loot. I then made a breakfast run to the Jack and the box and brought us all some breakfast back to cheer everyone up, including me. Hard to miss the money on a full belly!

I've bought some pretty neat stuff, but have sold even neater stuff. When we sold our last home and thought we would be locating to another part of the country (but didn't) we sold all kinds of things you don't normally see at a garage sale. They are kind of fun though.

At the sale I'm talking about I had a pretty decent brief case a lady was looking at who was dressed very well, she asked how much for the case? I told her lady you can have it for two bucks. She sat it down browsed around a bit then took her leave. As she went by the case which she had set down with the handle up, she demurely bent at the knees slightly while remaining rigidly erect, scooped up my brief case and walked purposively to her vehicle tossed it in the car, climbed in and pulled quietly away from the curb without so much as a look back. Worth the two bucks to watch the show!

15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

When you buy the inventory that will sit under your bed for 5 years MLM people make $$$.

95% probably never get anywhere.

16. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i have an acquaintance who's been trying to get me into that Nerium thing for a couple years now. it's kind of annoying, although i made it clear that i wasn't interested. i don't know that i have the heart to tell her it's a pyramid scheme, although the science/skeptic part of me really wants to. i have noticed that she's mostly stopped her Facebook posts about it over the past couple of months though (they were getting unbearable), so i wonder if she's starting to figure it out on her own. she was totally convinced of the product though, so i don't know that telling her would've even made a difference anyway...which is why i'm hoping she's figured it out for herself.

when i was a kid my parents did the whole Amway thing for awhile. i hated it, cos we'd have all these random people coming over for those stupid "dinner parties". i was too young to know what an MLM/pyramid scheme was, but i still thought it was weird. they never did make any money off of it (or go on any of the "luxury vacations" or cruises that Amway always insisted were "easy goals".)

17. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

seaweed? coulda been BIG in Japan as long s it wasn`t from Fukushima prefecture.

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

my brother got a random call one day from our pastor saying he had something important to talk about. We have known this guy since we were really little, and he even married off my brother...so he gets there and starts laying on the salesman routine about some BS product. My brother was pissed and never talked to him again, and quit his church hes been going to since the 1980s.

19. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

well.. i was shocked by the worm story, I'm actually more shocked by that..

Not religious myself, but for those who it works for and don't harm anyone else, by all means

however..

That man was is in a position of responsibility and standing in a local community (I assume), and to take advantage of that position is completely unacceptable. Some people are truly low. Am from Northern Ireland originally and remember years ago the kind of position the local clergy, from whatever denomination, held in the community. What happened above is like the local schools head teacher, or fire brigade chief, or whoever doing the same.

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Just scuttle their chances by preempting them with your own (fake) MLM pitch to them! It's so formulaic by this point that you could almost use anything on hand that you could grab for use in your (fake) venture.

...I mean...worms, seaweed, water? All proof that anything you could grab would work with the appropriate silver tongued phrases.

Just don't be too good, or they may want to enroll!

Anyway - I can relate to this as well. And I last got hit by it at a most inappropriate time (as if there's an appropriate one). I was at a high school reunion and saw a guy I hadn't talked to in probably 25 years. Since we had common interests, we traded contact info.

...Unfortunately, after we did that, he hit me with his pitch to push natural gas thru his MLM thing. I told him I wasn't interested, but I might take a moment to at least look at the link he said he would send.

Long story short - wasn't interested, didn't even check out the link. He contacted me and "pushed" a little harder. I figured I'd look at the link and tell him no. After checking out the link, I definitely was NOT in under any circumstances.

The problem happened w/his follow-up that he did a copy all with the link, and then didn't check his email for a few days. So I had some irate woman emailing me saying to get her off the mailing list for this forsaken pyramid scheme thing. I had to tell her that I was in the same situation.

So even when this guy got back to me, he still had the stones to ask if I was interested. I said I'd get back to him, because saying no wasn't working. He followed up about 4 more times, and I said I'd get back to him each time.

I will personally be preemptive from here on out, as silly as my suggestion sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.