Family and amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bjackcity, Dec 5, 2018.

1. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Why would you need a 4x10 marshal in your basement? Are you deaf or just on your way to being deaf?

howardlo likes this.
  2. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

The 12ft downstairs and 9ft upstairs ceilings don’t help my turn of the century home much, it has been heavily re-insulated but still at times I swear I can hear a fly fart.

3. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

It's funny, I have one and really don't like it much. I'll admit, the cleans are ok ish, but I find the overdrive sorely lacking. The reverb is a bit pointless too, there's so little of it, and considering my 50w amp does better cleans at the same volume. ... (nevermind my 15w and 30w amps)....

Mine is heading out soon.

I also re-acquired an Orange AD5 which has truly superb cleans at the same volume, making the HT1R totally redundant.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Since you asked what my set up for night time playing is...

...a Vox Pathfinder 15R. I'm a night owl by nature (but a morning person by Beagle :(), and so I put the wife and dog to bed, then stay up for a while in my man cave playing, almost always through one of my Pathfinders. It's more than a bedroom/practice amp, but it excels at low level playing at night. And it sounds good doing it. I'll turn the Gain and Volume both down to under 9 o'clock on the dial, turn the amp so that the speaker is pointed towards me and away from the bedroom and just play away. Just finished doing that very thing.

Of course, I don't engage the Boost on the amp, and I don't generally rock out too much at night. But I can play to my heart's content and not disturb the wife. The Vox Pathfinder 15R has been discontinued for almost 6 years now, and they're hard to find, and it's common now for one to sell for as much or more than they were priced when they were in production ($120). But if you find one in good working condition for that price or better, my advice is just buy it.

tce63 likes this.
  5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I have one in my basement. The funny thing is that I hardly notice it is there unless I walk down and see it and maybe play through it. It stays quiet while my kids are sleeping. It is very well behaved.

6. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I should elaborate. It’s a 4x12 being driven by a Ceriatone Marshall 1986 Plexi. It has a master volume and half power switch. It’s really the modern Marshall for people who like to play at lower volumes but like to feel the dimensional surround sound of a 2x12 or 4x12. I have a 1964 Princeton reverb and while it sounds sweet, I prefer to play through my Twin at the same volume because it fills the space so much better.

The same guys that buy .5w tube amps would be better off with a twin set at .5 unless they needed to move the amp around all the time. I talked smack about em forever until I owned one.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.