Fame/Joyo JTA-05 v VHT special 6

artisan

TDPRI Member
A wee bit of advice appreciated.
I'm using a Fame/Joyo JTA-05 with a Celestion Vintage 30 in a combo and I love it. I really wanted a hand wired amp of the same ilk and recently acquired a VHT special 6. It's just not the same even through the Vintage 30. I've seen on eBay a mod kit. Alincomagnet Mod Kit "5F2A" VHT Special 6 (Tweed Princeton). If used would this kit put me in the same ballpark as my existing 5F1 clone (Fame) ?
I'll have no problem soldering or reading a schematic if the shaky hands and dodgy eyes permit as I was a telecoms engineer all my working life until retirement 22 years ago. I play mostly fingerstyle jazz on Tele, archtop and various other guitars on a clean amp setting only at home now.
Thank you.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
You can mod a special 6 to run a 6L6 easy enough - there's a mod page on here with the details. I run mine through a vintage 30 and it's my go to amp for everything these days. 6L6 runs about 8watts. I've never played the joyo but I'd shout for for the 6 all day long.

thatkeithmorris

Tele-Meister
Before the JTA-05 there was the Joyo JA-05, which was hand wired and based on the 5f2a. It was rare, I had one and wish I hadn’t modded and then sold it. The same amp now seems to be available in the UK under the Juketone brand in 8 and 10 inch versions.

artisan

TDPRI Member
I got the mod kit to convert the VHT Special 6 to a similar spec as the 5F2a Princeton and for me it's exactly what I'd hoped for. I'm not even using the Vintage 30 now, just the stock speaker in the VHT. I initially tried the mod without the NFB loop and hated it. It would probably suit a lot of readers here as it's got loads of gain and breaks up easily but it's not what I wanted.
The mod kit I purchased from "Alnicomagnet" through eBay and everything's included including photos at each stage of the work.
If you can use a soldering iron you can do these modifications.
I'm well chuffed.

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
I love my Special 6. I’ve since moved on to amps I’ve built, but something tells me the conversion kit is gonna be more than just sourcing the parts yourself. If you can read schematics, the conversion would be incredibly easy; mostly just removing things and maybe adding some caps and resistors. The “boost” on the Special 6 should get you pretty close though, since it basically bypasses the tone stack.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
I've just looked up the kit on Ebay. Doesn't seem to bad for a kit + instructions. Sourcing everything yourself, with postage and aggro, would likely run the same.
I looked at modding my Special 6. I spent hours poring over options before deciding the only thing I'd do is add a 22K negative feedback resistor.
The Joyo is missing a capacitor. The bypass cap on V1a has a set of pads, but is unpopulated stock. The VHT has a small value cap. My WF-55 stock has no cap either, and I'm not fitting one. My WF-55/5F2a-ish has a 22uF/25V which makes it somewhat 'gainier' to accommodate the tone pot.
Adding an NFB resistor, lifting the bypass cap ( or switching it ) and running the VHT in 'Boost' will; as makes little difference, bring the VHT in line with the Joyo.

My favourite setting on the Special 6 is boost mode and low power ( triode ) The triode mode is different enough to bring a smile. NFB smooths things out a little.

If you want a winter project, try building an amp. The Ampmaker WF-55 or a Musikding G3 Blues are well documented builds and'll keep you occupied. They both sound exquisite.