Fall in Chicago

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Chicago has some kind of law about turning on/off the boilers in apartment buildings. I was sooooo happy when the radiators came to life in the fall. Until this moment, we had been bundling up outside and couldn't get warmed up inside.

What's that sound I hear? Clank-clank-clanking of the radiators announced the pending arrival of steam in a few minutes. The entire apartment smelled like someone was ironing clothes. Within an hour, we had stripped off certain clothing and opened all of the windows. Man, a little breeze flowing through the apartment while steam was radiating, was a singular moment of joy. Easily the best feeling in the world of temperature.

Anyone else?

2. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Just enjoying this view in my backyard…
    9FA53B45-9900-466E-9CC2-FBFF0216BAA3.jpeg

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
  3. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Been in Chicago for almost 5 years and that's the fist I've heard of that law. Are you sure it's not just your building? Also I only broke out my jacket a couple days ago.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

It stinks that so many places get the radiators torn out.

I lived in one apartment on Grand where the landlord (slumlord) bragged about "oh new heat unit installed very good!"

Come winter time I realize that the new furnace had two vents right above the furnace closet, that was it. So the heat there was only got into the living & dining room! We all had to buy space heaters for our bedrooms and the kitchen was always freezing.

5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful autumn day out in the 'burbs--took a hayride tour of an organic farm cited right in the middle of a high-population area of town and bought fresh vegetables and pumpkins.

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

It got a little chilly last night. Timely thread, to at least run a heat cycle or two, just to make sure everything is working.

I don't know too many residences that have or still have radiators in my parts. I suspect the larger buildings still have them. You can still see the coal doors at the foundation, on many of the older homes where they used to shovel that stuff into a room, segregated just for coal. We don't have heating oil systems here that I'm aware of.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Steam Radiators were a force to be reckoned with when it came to heat.
    They worked as well as anything before of since.
    Mantianing the Boilers, that was a different story! :lol:

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Friend of Leo's

Chicago Heat Ordinance

"From September 15 through June 1, the temperature inside a rental residence is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit from 8:30 AM to 10:30 PM and at least 66 degrees Fahrenheit from 10:30 PM to 8:30 AM."

Typically, most landlord fire up the boilers around Oct. 15 and shut them down on May 15. Usually, it's warm enough in Sept and May to get by w/o heat. The boiler in my last building was huge and sounded like a freight train.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've been alternating between the furnace and the AC for about a month. The last couple of days have been AC. Tomorrow it's back to heat.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

we had 90º yesterday.... it is gone today, and very cool... maybe next weekend, I'll change out the filters and go up in the attic and see how things are... I'd rather be cold for a few days... than start running it... there is some kind of admission once you start in with the furnace.

Engine Swap likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.